cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync: Too many contacts deletes.

Journeyman

Sync: Too many contacts deletes.

Every 30 seconds or so a message pops up in my new Hero notifications that says (their spelling, not mine), "Sync: Too many contacts deletes." If you click it to find out more, the next screen says, "Delete limit exceeded. There are <number> deleted items for contacts, account <email address>. What would you like to do?" with three options to select, "Delete the items.", "Undo the deletes." and "Do nothing for now." all of which result in no change as it clears the notification for about 30 seconds then it returns just as before.

Has anyone else run into this and solved it?

18 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Sync: Too many contacts deletes.

I ran into this when installing roms on my Hero-100 (Euro). What I did was to backup my contacts to google, then clear all of my contacts and let google's servers sync my contacts. This may not solve your problem though, because I did this while switching phones.

Were you deleting contacts just prior to this? Or is there anything else you suspect?

Journeyman

Yes, I was removing some contacts manually because the tech at the store managed to copy my phone contacts 3 times from my Instinct, so a bunch of contacts were in triplicate.

Journeyman

Well, I tried disabling sync, clearing all the contacts from the phone then re-syncing with Google and the same error occurs, along with an error message in the Data Synchronization settings page under Contacts saying there is a problem with Sync and that it will be back later.

In the meantime, I now have no contacts. Bloody hell.

Journeyman

After hard resetting to the factory defaults and reconfiguring the Google accounts, etc. all seems to be working fine. Solving this issue via a factory reset has got to be one of the most annoying solutions ever.

Journeyman

I had the same issue.  I clicked on the wrong option ("delete the items") thinking it was getting stuck with the deleted messges that are in my gmail "trash" folder.  Well, it ended up deleting ALL of my gmail contacts!  Not the contacts on my new phone, but all of my email contacts in my gmail account.

Be carefull what you click...

Journeyman

tommyboy wrote:

I had the same issue.  I clicked on the wrong option ("delete the items") thinking it was getting stuck with the deleted messges that are in my gmail "trash" folder.  Well, it ended up deleting ALL of my gmail contacts!  Not the contacts on my new phone, but all of my email contacts in my gmail account.

Be carefull what you click...

Ouch!

Journeyman

i am having the same problem. After i sync w/ gmail for the first time i deleted some contacts that transfered over to the phone that i didnt want on the phone. Now every time i try to sync i get "Too many conacts deletes"

I will see if there are any other options before reseting to factory

Journeyman

Might want to check this article out: http://androidcommunity.com/forums/f12/delete-limit-exceeded-10275/

Journeyman

I spoke a bit too soon, turns out to get this to work on my hero I had to delete the data out of the "Contacts" application (no MyFaves on the hero).

Another tip to stop gmail from sending over every freaking person you've ever emailed: go to people->groups->sync settings. Uncheck "All Contacts" and ensure just "My Contacts" is selected.

Also to get your current contacts out of your hero (the best buy moved mine in from my old phone) you can download http://code.google.com/p/vcardio/

Journeyman

simonsez wrote:

I spoke a bit too soon, turns out to get this to work on my hero I had to delete the data out of the "Contacts" application (no MyFaves on the hero).

Another tip to stop gmail from sending over every freaking person you've ever emailed: go to people->groups->sync settings. Uncheck "All Contacts" and ensure just "My Contacts" is selected.

Also to get your current contacts out of your hero (the best buy moved mine in from my old phone) you can download http://code.google.com/p/vcardio/

Good info, thanks! I had seen that other forum post but since the Hero has no MyFaves I didn't try it with Contacts.

Journeyman

Could you be a little more specific on what you had to do?  I click on People-> Groups, but then I don't see anyway to get Sync settigns.  How do I do that?

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.