ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text size

Journeyman

Text size

Is there any native way to jump up the size of the text in the browser and gmail? Even if one sets the text size to 'huge' in the Browser settings, the text for things like google search pages, is practically microscopic.

Is there an app that will do this? I understand Spare Parts does not work for 1.5, but it might work for 1.6 or 2.0, which may be coming soon to the Hero. Is that correct?

Along the same lines, can one set the Browser to use the 'mobile version' of all web pages, like my trusty old Palm Treo did? Sometimes I just want to get the the basic and don't need to be fingering my way around pages. The 'allow mobile version' setting doesn't seem to do anything. I'm really surprised that so many people prefer to see the whole page on their tiny phone screen. To me it seems less efficient.

Thanks for any help.

5 REPLIES 5
Wizard

Re: Text size

You probably already know this so I apologize for posting it, but you can resize the browser pages by "pinching to zoom" and the text will automatically adjust.  So if you want the text really big, just zoom way in.  It seems the mobile version of the google search page is a little hard to read, but I use the scroll ball to highlight the links that I want.

To get the basic versions of the browser pages (including google search), you have to uncheck that box in settings and then enter the address you want in the browser bar as you would your computer.  Most sites that have mobile ones will force you to http://m.websitename.com, when you really want http://websitename.com.  It seems to work fairly well for me, most pages that it is forcing the moblie version, will have a link to "view full site" like Facebook and ESPN have.  I do wish that it remembered what pages you want mobile which ones you don't, but a short way to take care of this is to get the non-mobile version and then bookmark it.

Journeyman

Thanks, I didn't know all of that.

Looks like there are mobile sites for some sites I like to visit, like wmata.com. Guess I'll have to hunt them down. Why couldn't they just have it work so that you can get the mobile sites for everything if you want, or opt out?

No way to increase font size on the gmail application??

I wish my old Palm Treo had not crapped out on me. It's wierd to be going to the latest and greatest tech phone, and have to take a couple steps backward when it comes to functionality. They still haven't gotten the calendar working to as good as Palm had it in 1997? You have to fumble around a tiny screen with your fingers to navigate sites that were designed for a full screen?? The Treo just optimized all pages, and 9 times out of 10 it worked great...

Sorry, just frustrated. Thanks for your help.

Kevin

Wizard

For wmata.com, just download the application for the DC metro public transport

http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-visualit-tubewashingtongeo-FnA.aspx

It costs a 1.30, but might be worth it??  Some reviewers say differently though.  You have 24 hours to try and return it without being charge, FYI.

Androlib is a great place to search for apps from your computer. Then use barcode scanner to scan the QR code and it pops you right to the application in the Android Market.  I don't think the Treo could have done that.

Journeyman

there is no way to change the font size in the gmail app that i know of, but the stock HTC mail app lets you set the font size.

Journeyman

Thanks for the tip. Honestly, I find that since that doesn't have bus info, going to wmata's mobile site is the best thing to do. Works great!

Using the Mail app for gmail is cool. I will miss the stars and wonder why the extra imap labels are necessary, but, oh well.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat