ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trackball and button backlighting always on in darkened room?

Journeyman

Trackball and button backlighting always on in darkened room?

The issue I would like to address now is the backlighting for thetrackball and buttons.

now it is always backlit if the phone is in a darkened room. in a lighted room it stays off.  Now this is a real bummer for me as I use the phone as a book reader at night, and the backlight staying on really is bothersome.  Does anyone know how to disable this new feature?  I have tried both manual and auto lighting and the backlight in the trackball is uneffected.  Also does not dim with the lowering of brightness.  In 1.5 the track ball backlighting would come on for several seconds if buttons or ball was used, and then go off.  now always on if phone is in a darkened area.  Anyone else see this?  I also tried a hard reboot and even did the update twice to be sure.....

5 REPLIES 5
Wizard

BUG: Trackball and button backlighting intermittantly working

I think that this is actually a bug in the 2.1 software.  I am getting random light up of the track ball and keys in certain applications (such as gmail application) then other times the backlight won't come on at all when keys are hit.  Sometimes when viewing a webpage, the lights will continually try to light up even when I am not touching the screen.  This should be addressed?  Are others seeing this as well?

This should be filed as a BUG in the 2.1 software for the HTC Hero CDMA.

Journeyman

Re: BUG: Trackball and button backlighting intermittantly working

try taking your phone in and out of a darkeded area, I find that the button backlighting does not come on at in in good light, and then will not go off in a darkened area.  If this was by design, I don't like it, and should be able to turn it off.  If it is a bug then lets report it to HTC???

Journeyman

Re: BUG: Trackball and button backlighting intermittantly working

mmark27 wrote:

I think that this is actually a bug in the 2.1 software.  I am getting random light up of the track ball and keys in certain applications (such as gmail application) then other times the backlight won't come on at all when keys are hit.  Sometimes when viewing a webpage, the lights will continually try to light up even when I am not touching the screen.  This should be addressed?  Are others seeing this as well?

This should be filed as a BUG in the 2.1 software for the HTC Hero CDMA.

I was about to come here and post this same thing though I've found it to seem more random than having to do with the ambient lighting.  My trackball and buttons will just light up spontaneously regardless of what app I'm using even when I'm not touching them.  It is annoying and does appear to be a bug.  Let's hope they issue the fixes in a timely fashion and not wait until the 2.2 update

Journeyman

Re: Trackball and button backlighting always on in darkened room?

My issue is that I didn't like the trackball light always coming on whenever I touched it ir the hard buttons, but at least it used to go off after a few seconds in 1.5. Since the update to 2.1, it never goes off, or the hard buttons for that matter, unless the phone isn't being used at all. This kills my battery REALLY FAST now, and needs to be addressed in some manner, I think with an option to control a timeout for it, or shut it off altogether.

There SHOULD'VE been an option that would allow you to set hard button and trackball light timeouts from the beginning, They should be able to be set independantly of each other, with controls for the timeout for both, and an option to shut each off altogether.

I use my phone a lot at night, in a darkened room, and that little trackball light used to blind me then for the few seconds it's be on, but now it not only does that, but gives me headaches as well. The screen Auto Backlight doesn't completely darken the screen in zero light conditions anymore either, but that's another issue. o,O;

SPRINT/HCT/GOOGLE... Whoever can fix this issue, please, please do. I used to love this phone, and for the most part still do, but getting headaches because of a little, but hella bright light, can't be turned off is a little much I think.

Journeyman

Re: Trackball and button backlighting always on in darkened room?

Thanks for your post.  Please report this problem to HTC.  Go to HTC.com and file an email for tech support.  If people do not do this they think there is not enough of a problem to address. So remember to report all problem to HTC.  DO NOT think that just because someone else has or will that that is enough. thanks, Mike

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat