cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to transfer files from SD card

Journeyman

Unable to transfer files from SD card

I am unable to get files transfered from the phone's SD card on to my computer using Windows XP. The first time I connected the phone to the computer, I didn't understand the process to get windows to recoginize the sd card as a storage drive, so I followed the windows prompts to install software for the new hardware device that was detected. After installing that software (which I think was HTC Sync), I then realized that I needed to go to the notification menu and press the option that was labeled as 'USB connected' in order to transfer files from the SD card to the computer. Once I did that, Windows XP immediately recoginized the card as a storage drive and brought up a list of options for what I wanted to do with the files on the drive.

Now that I am going through the process of connecting the phone to the computer a second time, WIndows XP is not recognizing the phone and I am not getting a list of options for what I want to do with the files on the card. The phone sees that the usb cable is connected and when I go to notifications, press usb connected, and select mount; nothing happens. I first did a restart of windows, but that didn't fix the problem. I then did a system shutdown and restart, but that didn't work. When I conencted my phone to my Windows 7 laptop, I had no problems at all.

I've noticed that once I connect the phone to the computer, the notifications that are coming up are HTC Sync and usb connected. So, how is it that I could transfer files the first time using Windows XP and now it won't work?

Edit: After speaking with Sprint's computer support personnel, it was determined that USB debugging needed to be turned on (at least for XP). Windows 7 it seems, is able to figure out what to do once the mount option is selected.

Message was edited by: c_brookhart

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat