cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming MR for Hero in the works

Highlighted
Wizard

Upcoming MR for Hero in the works

A maintenance release is being developed for the Hero to address key items such as SMS and DST issues. The target launch is in the next few weeks, but I do not have the exact date or a list of everything that will be included yet. I will post updates as they are made available to me.

Please note: This is not a 1.6 or 2.0 upgrade. I will post news about OS upgrades when I get it.

83 REPLIES 83
Highlighted
Patron

mmark27 wrote:

SarahKS wrote:

Thanks for suggestion! I marked it as Featured.

I didn't give me any other info than what I posted, but was told that they would give me more details to pass along at launch.

Thanks Sarah.

Curious as to why they won't let us see the release notes for what they are working on?  I understand the release date problem so you can't miss what you don't post.....but if they are knowledgeable of a problem and unable to resolve the issue.....they should just post that and be honest about it.  I think that it should be reasonable to release the release notes for this upcoming MR before its launch.  Then people could either be satisfied OR they could weigh in on other issues that could be tracked and noted by the development team?  There are a lot of smart people that come to these forums and smart people figuring out these issues and fixes.  It would be nice to open the dialogue a little more on this "open" device.  Seems like a good business move to leverage these assets, eh?

Thanks again for the information, even if it is vague, it should satiate many people on this forum for a couple minutes.

You know, that is a good point brought up by mmark27. It's understandible that they want to keep the release date to themselves, because when they think they will finish the update might be different from when they actually do. However, what they will have fixed is gonna be the same now as it will be after it is released. This would be especially helpful to people who's 30 day period ends, say, tomorrow, and would like to know if they're most desired fix will be in this update or not. This is, of course, assuming that they are in the final states of the update and have already fixed what they are willing to fix for this update and will not be doing any more fixes? And if that ISN'T the case... well then all the more reason for us to know what they've checked off their list so that we can confirm that they didn't accidently forget something important

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you for the info!

I'll also support the comments about ring lag.  It's really frustrating and NOT normal for other cell phones.  I never saw this on my previous carriers dumb phone and it does not occur AT ALL on my work BlackBerry, on yet a 3rd carrier.  Calling FROM my Hero to my work BB - the rings in my ear and on the phone are EXACTLY in sync, every time, all the time.

For a great phone like Hero on a quality network like Sprint - I should have more than 5 seconds to answer it when it starts to ring - is that crazy? 

Highlighted
Journeyman

ReproOne wrote:

I know others have said the two rings is standard as well, but I have only encountered more than one ring on this HTC Hero. On my previous Samsung phones, and other brands tested at the same time at a local Sprint store, the HTC was the only one to take multiple caller rings.

In fact, I tested the Samsung Moment and it answered right after the first ring every time. I could not get it to take longer.

Agreed.  It's not standard.  Every other Sprint phone I've had (with the exception of the Mogul) never had this issue.

It's normal to get slightly different results based on where you are located, how many apps you have open, where the call orginates from, etc. but it's not normal to always have 2 rings, which seems to be the best case scenerio with the HTC Hero.

Highlighted
Wizard

I've noticed that on other handsets as well so I don't think it is related to the Hero. My Moment, Curve and Instinct do the same thing.

Highlighted
Journeyman

SarahKS wrote:

A maintenance release is being developed for the Hero to address key items such as SMS and DST issues. The target launch is in the next few weeks, but I do not have the exact date or a list of everything that will be included yet. I will post updates as they are made available to me.

Please note: This is not a 1.6 or 2.0 upgrade. I will post news about OS upgrades when I get it.

I wanted to say thank-you.

Yes, it would be nice to have slightly more specific information like what issues are being addressed, but I sincerely appreciate the communication.  IMHO I believe most people are ok with estimates sliding, etc. it's the zero communication policy (especially when HTC has known about some of these issues for 6+ months) that gets people riled up.

Thanks again for passing along the information; Hope you are having a great day!

Highlighted
Journeyman

rebs wrote:

ReproOne wrote:

I know others have said the two rings is standard as well, but I have only encountered more than one ring on this HTC Hero. On my previous Samsung phones, and other brands tested at the same time at a local Sprint store, the HTC was the only one to take multiple caller rings.

In fact, I tested the Samsung Moment and it answered right after the first ring every time. I could not get it to take longer.

Agreed.  It's not standard.  Every other Sprint phone I've had (with the exception of the Mogul) never had this issue.

It's normal to get slightly different results based on where you are located, how many apps you have open, where the call orginates from, etc. but it's not normal to always have 2 rings, which seems to be the best case scenerio with the HTC Hero.

Also agree. My Instinct, while not good at much else, was indeed an excellent "phone". There was no more than one ring on the callers end before the Instinct rang.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sarah:

All my tests indicate the Hero is taking longer than my Instinct, a Moment, and a Blackberry.

If the HTC Hero is on standby, it can take 3, 4, or even more rings on the callers end before the Hero starts to ring. We are missing calls. I tested all phones from the exact same location.

Could you please look into this, possibly with it active and then on standby. You should notice an issue.

No matter what I did, I could not get the Moment, Instinct, or Blackberry to ever take more than one ring. I'd even be satisfied with two rings, but the multiple caller rings while the Hero is on standby.

I've never had so many folks either hang up on me or state I never answer the phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the info, Sarah

In regards to the phone ringing delay, its only GSM phones that will ring at the same time the caller hears it ring. Unfortunately, we are on CDMA and that works differently. Like someone mentioned earlier on, it happens on all sprint phones. Its true that some phones dont have such a long delay, but if you have noticed, the long delays are on the phones that use a lot of battery. The way this works on CDMA is that the phone is set to search every lets say 2 seconds(ping times if I may call it) to see if a call is coming through. The more it searches the more battery it uses. So in order to give us 350hrs standby time, manufacturers increase the "ping" times that, but the disadvantage to that is we get the phone ringing 3-4 times before our phone picks it up.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you for the info Sarah.  Even with our dissappointment in the issue we are having I hope all can agree you and most of the Sprint employee's we've dealt with have done a great job for us.

As as side note, after reading about Sprint's decision to layoff several thousand employees in a cost savings move, a stupid short term move made by people who don't deal with the day to day public, I hope all goes well for you and the other hard working employees of Sprint.

Fubie

Highlighted
Journeyman

Will this update keep the dust out?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I understand that we may get one or possibly two ring delay.

However, the HTC Hero is taking longer than any other phone I have owned or tested on the Sprint network.

I just now tested again calling a Blackberry on Sprint. One ring. My Hero 4 rings. They were both on standby.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Either way, whether it be the phone or the network, it is a problem and something must be done about it because it is frustrating. My family has been mad at me for not picking up the phone when I don't even hear it ring.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat