cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verizon gets 2.1 THIS WEEK for Droid! Sprint, are you home?

Journeyman

Re: Verizon gets 2.1 THIS WEEK for Droid! Sprint, are you home?

My since deleted point that HTC has been done with the Sense 2.1 upgrade is based on this.  If it was not done, Sprint wouldn't have it in their hands to test.

Journeyman

I can't believe they deleted my original message when what I said was absolutely true and was in no way against forums rules.  Therefore I will make my statement again:

"I would say that the lesson we learned here is to stay away from Android devices with a custom UI, but then I remembered the Moment, which came out before the Droid and is running vanilla Android, is still stuck on 1.5."

Deleting messages isn't going to make my statement untrue. The problem could very well lie with Samsung (since we know HTC has already turned over the update to Sprint), but don't act like the problem doesn't exist. Even with a 4G phone like the Supersonic on Sprint's network and the best plans available, the company is going to continue to bleed customers because they simply don't have the drive that Verizon or even T-Mobile has. Both of those companies take this Android thing very seriously. Sprint was very proud to be the second network to carry Android in the US, but they still enjoy having Verizon walk all over them.

Journeyman

It's also very possible that the updgrade path from 2 to 2.1 isn't as big of an endevor as going from 1.5 or 1.6 to 2.1. As of now you can't conclude a) Sprint is slow or b) sense causes significantly slower updates. It's a logical impossibility. If this was a month after every other android phone on the market got an update, except sprint's phones, then sprint is slow. If the moment got an update a month ago, and we're still on 1.5, then sense was probably the cause.* That's not the case.

Conversley, you can't conclude that Verizon is any "faster" at upgrading. They have other android devices still languishing away on outdated versions as well.

*And even if so, would this be that big of a problem? We bought a phone where the custom software was the big draw. Shouldn't we then expect it to take some extra time?

There will be a time where we can say Sprint this and HTC that. We aren't there yet, and this announcement brings us no closer to that.

Journeyman

jonnythan wrote:

azleatherneck wrote:

Whats your reasoning behind the Moment still stuck at 1.5 smart Arse it is PLAIN Android...???? The Droid dropped well after it did..Sprint is going down in flames after the announcement about WiiMax being left behind and LTE embraced it gave them a blow they will never recover from game over their gamble flopped.

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/communications/0,39044192,62060944,00.htm

I have no idea. Maybe because Samsung is lazy?

That must mean HTC is being lazy getting 2.1 to the Hero then.

Highlighted
Journeyman

vita10gy wrote:

It's also very possible that the updgrade path from 2 to 2.1 isn't as big of an endevor as going from 1.5 or 1.6 to 2.1. As of now you can't conclude a) Sprint is slow or b) sense causes significantly slower updates. It's a logical impossibility. If this was a month after every other android phone on the market got an update, except sprint's phones, then sprint is slow. If the moment got an update a month ago, and we're still on 1.5, then sense was probably the cause.* That's not the case.

Conversley, you can't conclude that Verizon is any "faster" at upgrading. They have other android devices still languishing away on outdated versions as well.

*And even if so, would this be that big of a problem? We bought a phone where the custom software was the big draw. Shouldn't we then expect it to take some extra time?

There will be a time where we can say Sprint this and HTC that. We aren't there yet, and this announcement brings us no closer to that.

Pardon my ignorance, but what other Android devices does Verizon have languishing away on outdated versions?

Journeyman

jonnythan wrote:

The Droid does not have Sense. It's plain-vanilla Android.

Sprint has made it abundantly clear that we *will* be getting 2.1 for the Hero, and we will be getting it in June at the latest.

jonnythan remember that "...*will* be getting 2.1...June at the latest." is a "goal" or "aim" not that it "will" be done.  If that were the case Sprint would nut up and post a more realistic date range.

I know this isn't fair, but sometimes I think Sprint is 3D Realms and a Hero update is Duke Nukem Forever.  Vaporware.

Fubie

HTC Hero and Sprint

"The Not Right Now Android   Phone"™ on the Now  Network™.

Journeyman

mlblack16 wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, but what other Android devices does Verizon have languishing away on outdated versions?

That would be the HTC Eris, which *SURPRISE* is the HTC Hero.  The Eris is running on the same 1.5 we are.

Fubie

HTC Hero and Sprint

"The Not Right Now Android    Phone"™ on the Now  Network™.

Journeyman

unplugged wrote:

I usually don't make comments on here, but this is an issue that, at least to me, appears overwhelmingly clear. The Hero was released in October 2009. At the time of release, the operating version was outdated. The "Sense" overlay was used as an excuse for the outdated operating system. One of the posts states that it has been made "abundantly clear" that Sprint will release an updated version sometime before June. (Are we supposed to give Sprint a pass simply because HTC has an overlay on the Android system?) Sorry, but any organization that takes eight months to release an UPDATE is seriously in trouble. I think Sprint has many positive features on its network, but I will not become a Sprint apologist when they royally ***** subscribers by failing to support a critical phone sold as "state of the art." No one can convince me that Sprint is not simply putting the Hero at the bottom of its priority list so far as a software update is concerned.

Message was edited by: unplugged

The Hero was actually released in July. It was released for Sprint in October.

If it was so "outdated" you shouldn't have bought it.

They're not "failing to support" anything. That claim is ludicrously laughable. They've released a maintenance update and have announced a major OS revision for the next couple of months.

You guys are acting like 2-3 months is the end of the world. Remember that no other 1.5 or 1.6 device on the market, from any carrier, has yet received a 2.0 or 2.1 update. Sprint and HTC are not behind the curve here. It's entirely possible that the Hero is the FIRST 1.5 or 1.6 device to get a 2.x update!

Journeyman

jonnythan -

"The Hero was actually released in July. It was released for Sprint in October."  Give me a break. This is a Sprint forum, not an international one.

"If it was so "outdated" you shouldn't have bought it" Oh, I see, you come from the "love or it or leave it" mentality. Unfortunately, when I purchased it, Meathead, I didn't know it was outdated.

I don't know whether you work for Sprint or are just trying to get a job from them. Your posts reflect an unnatural affinity for defending Sprint in the face of contrary opinions. Your strident defense of Sprint's glacial upgrade performance is what is laughable. You constantly attack posters who disagree with your fanboy opinions by saying we have no patience or our opinions are "ludicrous". Perhaps you should sit back and try to understand that people who have contrary opinions to your Sprint company line may have a point.

Journeyman

Well said buddy. I have to say it again. I think he's getting paid to say certain things. Paid by whom? I can only assume Sprint, or he's defending his Managment Job in a Kiosk at the local mall across from Abercrombie and Fitch.

jonnythan -

Seriously, just stop. Sprint is FAR from perfect. They lag, they don't communicate often enough, and aren't clear enough. The ONLY real reason that a company would behave that way is because they're not proud of their response. They're not proud of their response because they've dropped the ball more than 10 times in the past 5 phones they've released. They know it, Sprint's customer's know it, (What's left of them) and I know it.

P.S. I've made a text file of this post, so if there is an attempt to remove my post, it will posted again. Freedom of Speech INCLUDES the Sprint forums. Thanks for playing.

Journeyman

So my post was erased! I said nothing that was ini violation of the terms of these posts! So why was it removed? Jonnythan, did you have something to do with the removal of my post? I'll say it again, I am no longer happy with the attention we are ALL getting from sprint. I mentioned customer care's lack of compitance in fixing a texting issue. Maybe that's what flagged my post. Nothing I ever said is untrue. All this mumbo jumbo of an update is getting old. Are we getting it or not? be truthful! At this point I am readi to leave Sprint over the B.S. We don't get the best coverage, we definately don't get the best phones and undoubtedly, we don't get the best cutomer service. So Why not try another provider. I think this is gone beyond just an Android update, It's come down to provider reliability. Plus AT&T's TV ads are better! Thanks for your not so helpful posts jonnythan!!

Master

VoXPCS wrote:

P.S. I've made a text file of this post, so if there is an attempt to remove my post, it will posted again. Freedom of Speech INCLUDES the Sprint forums. Thanks for playing.

I'm not going to get into the other things in this thread, but you are incorrect here, and this is something that annoys me when I see posted. The First Amendment only directly covers freedoms in an open public forum. These message boards are property of Sprint and as such are under moderation of Sprint. If something is posted that the moderators feel should be removed, it will be. If you feel otherwise, PM a member of the administration team here to get clarification.

If you want, go ahead talk to a lawyer about filing suit against Sprint for deleting your post and "violating your First Amendment right". Any lawyer you take the question to will just laugh at the thought.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat