cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vibrating ringer?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Vibrating ringer?

I just switched to Sprint with the Hero -- previously I had a Samsung SCH-T300 on Verizon for the last eight (yes 8!) years, so I've finally joined the 21st century.  Obviously this is my first "smartphone".  I loved my old phone, but I felt it was finally time to get something with a color screen.  The Hero is awesome -- I absolutely love it and can't believe I got by with a phone that could do little more than make calls until now!

My biggest concern right now is that I keep missing calls.  I always kept my Samsung set to vibrate-only, and with it in my pocket I could always feel when a call came through no matter what I was wearing.

Unfortunately, the Hero seems to have a very weak vibrator, and I cannot feel it when it is in my pocket (front pocket of dress pants; I can feel it a little better when wearing jeans).  Is the Hero abnormal in this regard, or do modern phones just have pathetic vibrating ringers, or might I have a defective unit?

If this is indeed the way things are meant to be, might there be any good workarounds?  I'm new to Android as well, and even after spending much of my spare time over the last week playing with it, I still have a lot to learn, so it wouldn't surprise me if there are some settings somewhere I have missed.

Is there a way to set it to, say, vibrate for the first X seconds and then do an audible ringer after that?  That way if I miss the vibration I could eventually notice the call, while not annoying those around me with a silly ringer if I do catch it in time?

If not, is there a way to configure the vibrator to stay on constantly rather than alternating on/off (in hopes that a continuous vibration might be less likely to be missed)?

Or am I just going to have to use an audible ringer?  I hate audible ringers but I'm afraid that is my only choice.

(on an unrelated note, I can confirm the bug where the weather widget doesn't update for many hours, as well as the mono-headphones-until-toggled bug -- I can't believe these made it through QA!)  Thanks for any help.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat