cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What will the Apple vs. HTC lawsuit mean to us?

Highlighted
Journeyman

What will the Apple vs. HTC lawsuit mean to us?

Apple  Sues HTC, Claiming 20 Patent Infringements

Above is a link to a PC World story I saw a few hours ago.  Does anyone have any thoughts on how this might affect us as Hero owners and the development/deployment of Android O/S updates?

To quote a small portion of the PC World article:

HTC manufactures the most popular Android handsets, including the first G1 and the Nexus One. Other phones singled out in the suit are the Touch Pro, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro2, Tilt II, Pure, Imagio, Dream, myTough 3G, Hero, HD2 and Droid Eris. According to Apple, HTC has repeatedly cribbed from the iPhone design.

Or is this all just a hoax?  Hopefully some good discussions will ensue

Fubie
HTC Hero and Sprint
The Not Right Now Android Phone™ on  the Now Network™.

Unlike a certain battery powered bunny who keeps "Going and going and  going..." the Hero keeps "Waiting and     waiting and waiting..."

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Journeyman

This is not a hoax, go to Engadget.  I'm HOPING that this suit will invalid ALL of Apple's vague patients.

Highlighted
Journeyman

slbailey1 wrote:

This is not a hoax, go to Engadget.  I'm HOPING that this suit will invalid ALL of Apple's vague patients.

I have heard similar thoughts from many tech podcasts.  Most were talking specifically about Apple's claim to the multi-touch patent.  Unfortunately vague patents are the fault of our lame Patent and Trademark Office.

Fubie
HTC Hero and Sprint
The Not Right Now Android Phone™ on   the Now Network™.

Unlike a certain battery powered bunny who keeps  "Going and going and  going..." the Hero keeps "Waiting and     waiting  and waiting..."

Highlighted
Journeyman

Apple didn't learn from their defeat in the Apple vs. Microsoft case. They can't patent everything. Also, the real inventors of touch is Elo Touchsystems, owned by Tyco Electronics, Ltd. Apple's patents are weak to begin with. The entire PC & Mobile Device industry isn't going to allow Apple to dictate terms because Apple want's to protect it's precious iPhone from true competition. It will take a couple of years but I expect almost each of Apple's patents to be invalid. How can you patent a gesture? That's like saying I invented that human movement. Now the tech behind it? Maybe. But every car as steering wheels, windshield wipers, & power windows. I'm not seeing Ford or Toyota suing the pants off everyone else for that invention.

This is just pure anti-competitive behavior on Apple part. I really do hope Sprint joins in HTC's defense because unless it has an iPhone, the advantage of the iPhone could be locked to AT&T for a long time. Unless, Sprint & other carriers, manufacturers, and OS makers stand up for the rights of others to use & develop touch technology as well.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It could very well mean that the 2.1 update gets put on hold.  If some HTC lawyer becomes afraid that aspects of 2.1 need to be changed, we vwery well could be stuck waiting for 2.5 to release because HTC won't let Sprint or others push 2.1.

If this happens I will still blame Sprint, as it would be a moot point of they were not so slow in getting the garbageware apps like NASCAR and Sprint TV working.

Highlighted

I'm not really convinced if this means delayed 2.1 updates for any reason unless HTC stops shipping "every" handset old/new model including Desire, Legend, Nexus one and so on..... which I highly doubt is a possibility at this point in time at least.... only time can prove me wrong!!!

Highlighted
Wizard

NotReady4PrimeTime wrote:

It could very well mean that the 2.1 update gets put on hold.  If some HTC lawyer becomes afraid that aspects of 2.1 need to be changed, we vwery well could be stuck waiting for 2.5 to release because HTC won't let Sprint or others push 2.1.

If this happens I will still blame Sprint, as it would be a moot point of they were not so slow in getting the garbageware apps like NASCAR and Sprint TV working.

yeah, no way will this stop 2.1.  This will drag out in court for years.  I too am hoping that Apple's weak patents are found invalid as well.  From some of those drawings it looks like Apple invented answering a phone and then putting it in your pocket.  Reasonable judges will throw all their garbage out.  Although, patents are only as strong as the lawyers behind them, so we will see.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@ ogomez721   I could have not said it better myself. I think you are dead on with everything. Seriously, how can you patent a gesture?

Message was edited by: travisr528

Highlighted
Journeyman

From some of those drawings it looks like Apple invented answering a phone and then putting it in your pocket.  Reasonable judges will throw all their garbage out.

I laughed so hard when I saw that picture. This lawsuit is ridiculous. I should sue apple for pain and suffering for having to hear about their stupid lawsuit.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have not seen where they filed the lawsuit, but if it is West Texas, there are no reasonable judges, hence why patnet hoarders and the RIAA try to file there as much as possible.

As to wether it will delay, that is up to the lawyers, but the longer it takes Sprint to get it done the more likely a Judge can barr the distrubution until the case is settled ( a real possibility in the West Texas Courts).

Highlighted
Journeyman

NotReady4PrimeTime wrote:

I have not seen where they filed the lawsuit, but if it is West Texas, there are no reasonable judges, hence why patnet hoarders and the RIAA try to file there as much as possible.

As to wether it will delay, that is up to the lawyers, but the longer it takes Sprint to get it done the more likely a Judge can barr the distrubution until the case is settled ( a real possibility in the West Texas Courts).

From everything I've read, worrying about a delay/stoppage is silly. If anything comes of this at all, which is a big if, it won't happen for a long time. Many of us will be on to our next phone by the time anything is decided.

I'm no legal expert, but if a judge put a stop to something being released and time there was a patent, or whatever, ojections, until the issue was decided, we'd never actually get anything, because everything is patented by someone, no matter how mundane.

Company A has a patent for having buttons on a electronic device, Company B patents buttons on a phone, Company C patents backlit buttons, Company D patents buttons backlit by an lcd, Company E patents backlit buttons with individual leds, Company F patents the puching of a button, Company G patents using your thumb to push it, Company H patents red buttons, etc

It's all a giant cluster f and someone needs to put the kibosh on most of it. You shouldn't be able to patent anything that a 5 year old could come up in 10 minutes with if asked to design a new widget, and we should be very skeptical if the patent is just an idea, and not a physical thing that doesn't exist.

In other words, if it doesn't exist, you should be able to patent the hardware that is able to detect a swipe. You should not be able to patent the swipe itself as a methos from moving from one screen to the next, because that's just obvious.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I in no way way disagree with you about how broken the patent system is, but there are some areas of the country that are favored by hoarders for the very reason that judges often make hasty rediculous decisions.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat