cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When do we get ANDROID 2.0?

Highlighted
Journeyman

When do we get ANDROID 2.0?

Does anyone know  when we will get android 2.0 for the Hero?

19 REPLIES 19
Journeyman

Re: When do we get ANDROID 2.0?

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/135055#135055

There are rumors about the HTC Eris which is Verizon's version of the Hero might get 2.0 by the end of this month...maybe???  Boygenius leaked an internal Verizon document showing a December 6 update for Verizon's Droid and Eris, but not what it will actually be.  Then there's Google's December 11 deadline for application developers to signoff on the new Android Market distribution guidelines.  Then they want the Market to be able to charge payment for applications to appear on your monthly bill.  Just lots of things in the mix to consider.

So, only HTC and Sprint know what their 'secret' 2.0 timeline is, but at least HTC tweeted that 2.0 is coming to the Hero.  I've been following the http://twitter.com/InsideSprintNowwhich has been posting a lot more stuff recently.  I'm hoping they will start tweeting more about stuff like this.  After all, HTC is the only one who has said 2.0 will be coming to the Hero, and nothing from Sprint or Verizon (Eris) yet.

However, with all the present bugs with the CDMA version of the Cupcake 1.5 Hero which now includes the latest Sprint Hero v1.56 problem with purchased apps from the Market, I can only imagine that they will get 2.0 out to us customers with the new 2.0 Market as soon as possible.  After all, they have to be taking heat from developers who want to sale their apps to us, right?

My biggest drawback about the Hero is the Hero's v1.5 does not have OBEX Bluetooth file transfer which is native in 2.0 so I'm very very very patiently waiting for it too!!!

Journeyman

Hi there.

Just wanted to share my recent correspondence with a HTC rep. It was literally about android upgrade:

Ticket Number : [ 09GBCW47ENA000692 ]

2009/11/19 19:53

Me: Hi. I believe it's a common question you've been getting recently... Could you tell me when will be a planned Android 2.0 upgrade for HTC Hero? Is it case of weeks or rather months?

New Response From [ Gary (UK - Ireland Support (Customer Service)) ]

Hello
We dont have the date of release but we know its in weeks and not months. Its in the process of being testing on all european HTC heros before release, so expect it soon.
Gary

best folks.

chalger

Message was edited by: chalger

Journeyman

Now what does this say about the Sprint version??

Patron

Yeah, I just realized that chalger's conversation with HTC was with "Gary (UK - Ireland Support (Customer Service))" ...

So he was probably talking about the Euro Hero?

Patron

Any new news on this?

Sprint Product Ambassador

I didn't hear anything (evan anything I can't talk about) this week - and with the long weekend we won't hear anything till next week.

Speaking strictly for myself,not for Sprint or HTC, I wouldn't look for it till either late December or early 2010.  1.5 required custom kernel code to work on CDMA; from what I understand 2.0 has native code for CDMA support.  That's a pretty big set of test cases to run.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

Actually, shouldn't 2.0 having native CDMA make it easier to release than 1.5 was?

Journeyman PGR
Journeyman

Can anyone provide a link to any online forum post, blog, tweet, media release or anything else that was written by an official representative of Sprint which states that the Sprint Hero will be getting an upgrade to Android v.2.0?

I chose the Sprint Hero over the Verizon Droid based on my understanding that the Hero was going to get the upgrade, but now I'm beginning to think my understanding could be flawed. Every reference I've seen about a v.2.0 upgrade is generic in nature and I can't even find a single suggestion by anyone official that Sprint is even considering it. LOTS of speculation, but nothing official.

So am I just missing it? Can anyone else provide a link to anything official about the Sprint Hero?

Pete

Message was edited by: PGR

Journeyman

No, because Sprint/HTC need to test that the native code works as well or better than the patched kernel.

So, the Late December/Early 2010 date seems reasonable to me (based on my working for a software company).

I hope we can get confirmation that we (Sprint HTC Hero owners) will get it, and then get an approximate date.

Journeyman

So, you're saying it takes less time to write and  test and implement a kernel for CDMA on a platform not used on CDMA before, than to just test an OS upgrade that has the compatibility built in??? Really??

Journeyman

Pete,

If you look around you can find an official Sprint release that said upgrades will be coming to the Hero.

Also, there was an official announcement (Via twitter) from HTC stating that they were skipping Android 1.6 alltogether for the Hero, and would be, instead, producing an Android 2.0 update for the Hero.

Neither, of course, have stated a specific time-frame, but the announcements are there.  Try searching HTC site instead of Sprint for the actual confirmation of Android 2.0 coming to the Hero.

(Sprint would have absolutely NO reason in the world to NOT push the 2.0 update, once HTC has produced it for the Hero, so that should not be a factor at all.)  (Aside from the amount of bandwith an OTA update of that size would take, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be available for download/install should Sprint decide the OTA would be too large for their system.)

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat