Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When the Hero 2.1 update is available, what’s gunna be your update plan?

Journeyman

When the Hero 2.1 update is available, what’s gunna be your update plan?

OK, we all know Sprint has advised that the Android 2.1 update is coming to the Sprint HTC Hero eventually, so I would like to open a discussion on how to perform the update.  Reset to factory or protect user data and upgrade.

Since I would prefer to start ‘factory fresh’ with 2.1, my current plan is to perform a ‘Factory data reset’ and putting the stock 2gig sdcard back in my Hero before upgrading to 2.1.  I believe this is the best way to ensure the most stable performance after the upgrade.  After all, most all of my data is on the 'Google Cloud' (Contacts, Calendar, and Tasks), and I have backups of my Bookmarks, and other apps I use have their own backup features inside them.  Also, most apps I have loaded are Android 1.5 (cupcake) versions only, so those apps will need to be re-installed with updated versions anyway which is another reason why I am deciding to just perform a 'Factory data reset'.  The only settings I have that I know I will need to re-do are the email accounts I have setup in the HTC Mail app, pair three bluetooth devices, and setup my social network accounts, but those are easy enough.

So, my current plan will be to perform a ‘Factory data reset’ before updating my Hero to 2.1 to have a clean, factory fresh, 2.1 experience.

4 REPLIES 4
Wizard

ditto.  fresh and clean.

Journeyman

1) Nandroid backup

2) Unroot and flash back to stock rom

3) Wait a day or so for a BETTER rom to pop up

3) Re-root, flash new rom, nandroid restore and then enjoy a faster and better Hero experience

LOL, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Journeyman

I'm with DaWeav on this one.
Will go fresh, myself.
Besides, that could eliminate any compatibility issues I could run into with any apps I have installed.

Just seems "best practice" to me.  Though, I'm sure Sprint will come up with an "official" correct procedure for it for how they want it done.

Journeyman

Fresh clean install.

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat