When will we get the 2.1 update?

Highlighted
Journeyman

When will we get the 2.1 update?

We've waited so long come on Sprint and HTC

15 REPLIES 15
Journeyman

Re: When will we get the 2.1 update?

Yes, we've waited SO LONG for the 2.1 update. It seems EVERY OTHER PHONE in the world is getting 2.1 and we keep waiting!

Oh wait. 2.1 hasn't even been out two months yet. No other phone anywhere on earth has gotten a 2.1 update.

It's officially coming 1H10. Semi-officially it's coming "early 2Q10." 2Q10 starts April 1.

So it's coming when it's coming. Probably mid to late April.

Patron

For me, its not so much the new features that I am wanting so badly as it is the performance improvements. If all we were getting from the 2.1 update was the homescreen pinch-zoom, new widgets, etc, I wouldn't mind waiting 2 months, 3 months, however (reasonably) long.

But I am waiting for an update that will make my phone more usable, because it barely is at the moment. I get lags and slowdowns, which cause me to call people on accident, hinder me from the most basic phone functions that a $180 phone (the price of the phone when I got it when it first came out) should do without a problem.

Journeyman

I have been in constant contact with HTC since I first got my Hero. They are not acknowledging any of the issues I am having with my phone, promising any updates, offering me any fixes (other than hard resetting and replacement which I have done both), and have been overall pretty worthless.

In reality I think it is a good assumption that 2.1 will cause further slowdowns and lags. It is a more robust version of Android and cannot fix the fact that the HTC Hero is underpowered to begin with.

I have had some luck disabling Sense UI and using the phone only for text and calls. I do not use the web or have my email installed on the phone. No widgets on the homescreen just a link to SMS and Phone.

I am just waiting for something with snapdragon to drop then I will buy it. I am still waiting for response from HTC on my issues but I am not holding my breath.

Patron

I can't agree with that. Android 1.5 was basically the very first full blown Android software to be release, and its got a lot of issues. Android's solution ton these issues? Updates. From 1.5 to now waht is 2.1.

There are two things that come with each new Android software update: (a) special features, and (b) optimized coding.

But we know that the Hero won't be getting the special features (i.e. live wallpapers, 3d effects), but will still be getting the optimized coding.

I believe that the new software will run smoother, its almost impossible to assume it will be any SLOWER than it is right now, because anything that could cause slowdowns from 2.1 (i.e. live wallpapers, 3d effects) will be excluded from the Hero's version of Android 2.1.

Journeyman

I'm running a beta build based off the official eris update. Camera, MMS, and visual voicemail don't work, but it has the newest sense UI and it is 2.1. It's a buggy beta, and it still is really fast. I don't think there was much optimization done yet, but it really doesn't lag too bad, less than most normal heroes. It doesn't have the live wallpapers, but it does have many improvements. When the real deal comes out, prepare to be shocked at what your phone can do.

Wizard

Getting word about  Sprint updates. March 22 for the Hero, March 24 for the Moment. Exact  version not mentioned. :-/ #android

Source: http://twitter.com/androidcentral

Journeyman

Another rumor?  There seems to be an infatuation with the 22nd of any month...

Journeyman

tatonka_Hero wrote:

Another rumor?  There seems to be an infatuation with the 22nd of any month...

True, True... We should start a pool.

Journeyman

I put $5 on April 1st ;-) Although the 22nd would rock!  Not in any hurry here, I got a good one.

Message was edited by: blackfrontier04

Patron

Wait, perhaps I'm missing something. When did this whole March 22 thing come up? Can someone provide a link to a website that mentions it or something? Though its a rumor, I'm sure it was posted somewhere rather than it being just made up by someone somewhere at some point

Journeyman

check post 6

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat