cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who else is experiencing these issues with the HTC Hero 2.1 Software Update?!?!?!?

Journeyman

Who else is experiencing these issues with the HTC Hero 2.1 Software Update?!?!?!?

Every since I installed the 2.1 Software update on my HTC Hero phone I have been experiencing the following problems:

1. Battery Life - Everyday at approximately 2:00 p.m. CST (LOL) I have to charge my phone!

2. Text messaging - When I open a new text msg it loads for like 5 to 10 seconds and lately it forecloses for some odd reason!

3. Bluetooth in my car doesn't work. The call time displays on the screen but no sound comes from my speakers! My radio works fine and I can hear music from the speakers... I've taken my car to the Nissan dealer 4 times and nothing is wrong with my car. It's the device...How do I know?....because I've connected other cell phones and it works perfectly fine and I didn't have this issue BEFORE the 2.1 software update!!!!!

4. Lags when I make a call. If someone was after me, I'm sure I would've been dead by now...Thanks to Sprint and the HTC HERO!

5. Strange noise replaces ringtone from time to time. It's like some sort of odd buzzin ringtone! Weird...really weird!

I've been dealing with these issues for quite some time now!

Anyone else having this issues?

I haven't reported this to Sprint yet but I have checked with AT&T and the new iPhone4 is not sounding to bad right now...but of course I will wait until they iron out those issues as well.

Please reply with any suggestions or advice that you may have.

Thks

Message was edited by: Cmason5

38 REPLIES 38
Journeyman

Re: Who else is experiencing these issues with the HTC Hero 2.1 Software Update?!?!?!?

same here!

Journeyman

Re: Who else is experiencing these issues with the HTC Hero 2.1 Software Update?!?!?!?

Same here and tech suport is no help

Journeyman

This is why I havent done the upgrade, I had a feeling things would be funky when they start off by telling you you'll lose all your information saved on your phone, apps, pics, texts & stuff.. no thanks!

Wizard

With the number of issues you're having, I'd suggest taking your phone to the nearest Sprint store.  You can find a store here: http://www.sprint.com/storelocator

Master

Plstrcast1 wrote:

This is why I havent done the upgrade, I had a feeling things would be funky when they start off by telling you you'll lose all your information saved on your phone, apps, pics, texts & stuff.. no thanks!

That is simply due to the way the software update has to be done. It can't be done OTA so instead it must be done through a computer which wipes everything on the phone because it does a fresh clean installation.

Journeyman

I wish I never did the update and I am going to have to go back to the store and have them revert it back to 1.5

I can't believe the problems I've been dealing with since the upgrade.

I speculate the hardware is not up to the task to work well with 2.1

Very frustrating, my phone worked fine before the upgrade...

Journeyman

I am an IT professional, not saying I know anything here, but have a corporate account with Sprint (although I use the Hero as a personal cell).  I have the same issues including many more since the upgrade to 2.1 OS.  Both my wife and myself have the same device and have the same issues on both devices.

It takes up to 30 seconds to place or connect a call.  Sometimes I don't receive calls at all even when have full service (tested with my wife calling me from the same room).  It doesn't go right to voicemail, but instead it rings 4-5 times before going to my voicemail.  No missed call is logged nor does the vm indicator come on until I reboot my phone.  Once rebooted my data services are enabled, but don't work.  Most times I have to uncheck the flag and re-check it before it starts to work.

I have spoken to HTC directly (through my corporate Sprint rep) and he said they know about the issues with the device and are working on a second patch, but as of Friday 8/20 it was still in the testing phase and probably will be.   HTC claims you can't roll back to 1.5 but Sprint says you can.  I tend to believe HTC over this as all the other forums I have been on none of them claim that they were able to roll back to 1.5.

I have spent many hours and logged many cases with Sprint and they don't seem to want to do anything except re-flash my phone.  I have re-flashed and reinstalled the 2.1 OS many times.

I have an appointment with a Sprint Corporate store this coming weekend to discuss my options.  I want a resolution but I am not against buying out my contract and going to a new carrier.

Journeyman

I've had similar issues along with different problems when I was running 1.5 on this phone. 2.1 added a better looking interface with a different set of problems. The bottom line is that this phone is a complete disaster. Not only is the lag and sluggish software performance an issue, but making and receiving phone calls is hellish too. After going on my 3rd replacement phone from Sprint, even the representatives that worked at the Daly City branch I went to stated that it's the most frequently complained about and returned phone they've ever sold.  I wish there was a better lineup of Android phones for Sprint (and I will not buy another HTC phone after this experience and lack of support from both Sprint and HTC).

Highlighted
Journeyman

Have you or anyone else done a factory reset before installing 2.1?  MENU>SETTINGS>PRIVACY>FACTORY DATA RESET

Won't solve everything, but helps.  Good Luck!!!

Journeyman

I've had very few problems since updating:

1.  No such battery problem for me, before or after upgrade.

2.  Access to texts is occassionally sluggish, depending on how I access them.  From the notification bar, no problem.  From the widget, sometimes slow.

3.  Bluetooth has worked effectively both before and after upgrade with no problems on same vehicle.  Also, I set it up for use with my B-I-L's Volkswagen just a couple days ago; again, no problems.

4.  After updating, outgoing calls seem to lag when accessed using various widgets such as Contacts, Call History and People and shortcuts such as Direct Dial.  Using Phone buttons, no lag experienced.

5.  I've not heard anything from my phone other than what I expect to hear, ever.

Sounds like you need to visit the Sprint store.  Seems odd that you have already checked out ATT for service without doing this, almost as if you are spamming here.

Journeyman

Exactly! I have gone through tech support multiple times in the last month trying to resolve this problem with my phone. I have done hard resets on the phone through tech support, I have taken the phone into the sprint store where they attempted to solve the problem and I even was sent a replacement phone. None of the these steps have helped and my frustration with sprint is growing quickly. I spent close to an hour and a half on the phone with sprint just trying to get an exchange phone that will actually work. My call was dropped twice and then I was eventually promised a callback that never came. They have informed me that before they will even consider replacing the phone with something else I must go through THREE replacements of the Hero. This is absolutely asinine, it is clear that this phone's hardware is incapable of handling the current software version and exchanging the phone for another just like it won't change anything. I have been with sprint for over ten years, initially with my family and recently with my own plan, in all that time I have always been pleased with customer service and have had any problem solved promptly and effectively. It seems that sprint is no longer able to do this and doesn't seem to be taking customer service seriously anymore. Please be warned,  THINK LONG AND HARD BEFORE PURCHASING A HERO FROM SPRINT! It has been nothing but an overpriced paperweight since the 2.1 update.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat