Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who tried the Moment? Opinions?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Who tried the Moment? Opinions?

Hello-

I forgot today was the day the Moment came out! Has anyone here switched? Or at least tried the Moment in-store? I'm pretty sure I like the Hero, but with the endless problems it has, I can't help but think about the Moment. I'm curious what Hero users *that have experienced the Moment* think of it compared to the Hero.

Thanks.

-TM

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Who tried the Moment? Opinions?

I bought the Moment yesterday.  My local Sprint store was selling them a day early for some reason.  My first impressions of this phone are very good.  It seems to be built well, the slider mechanism opens and closes with authority with little to no "wiggle" while it is closed.  I had the Hero before so I can say without a doubt that the Moment is much much faster than the Hero.  The 800mhz processor really makes a difference. The keyboard is good but has what I consider to be a strange layout with the space bar between the v and the b key. I think it will be fine after I get used to it. So far I have not had any problems with bugs or any other issues but it will take a week or two to know for sure.  I was very unhappy with the lag and all the bugs in the Hero so I am hoping the Moment will solve those problems.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wow, this is so frustrating lol. Every review I've seen says the same thing - no performance increase whatsoever, not even in CPU intensive things like web browsing. Yet people coming from the Hero consistantly seem to say it's significantly faster in all respects.

For those with a Moment (haha pun!), when you drag the app drawer up and down fast, does it lag? "Fast" meaning dragging up and down within a second. On my Hero with SenseUI disabled, the app drawer can become disjointed from my finger by as much as an inch. Just curious if the 800 MHz processor helps tighten things up with the UI.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just tried scrolling up and down rapidly in the app drawer in the Moment.  It worked perfectly without lag or becoming "disjoined" from my finger. I never tried disabling the Sense UI on my hero as some have suggested but I can say without a doubt that the moment is faster and more responsive in every respect than my Hero was.  It even rings faster when I get a call, on the Hero the caller would hear 3-4 rings before the phone even indicated an incoming call.  The moment rings after the caller hears the first ring. I do miss some of the eye candy of the Sense UI but all in all I am happy I made the switch.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Anyone else noticing apps freezing up?  I am still on an Instinct forum email list and I am seeing reports from users who upgraded from the Instinct having problems with applications freezing up on the Moment.  Anyone on here seen that yet?

Highlighted
Journeyman

i havent had any problems with freezes. i have had an issue with the gps though. one time it would not lock on to my location until i restarted the phone. now it locks on but my location is off by about 500 feet.

Highlighted
Patron

I went to the Sprint store to spend some time with this device. My first impression as well as leaving impression that this device was just ugly. It literally feels like interacting with a brick. The plastic feels cheap and over all the build quality is sub par at best.

As far as the screen goes. It was nice and clear. I think really thats the only advantage over the hero. The OS ran just a smooth and the keyboard felt nice typing but again it seemed "cheap".

I really dont know who the market of this device is targeting. Maybe enthusiast whom arent concerned with aesthetics? Really the only other benefit I can see here is when the CDMA android devices are rooted.

Who knows, anyway. I would not return my hero for this device, I would move to the Pre before doing so.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Matrix wrote:

Wow, this is so frustrating lol. Every review I've seen says the same thing - no performance increase whatsoever, not even in CPU intensive things like web browsing. Yet people coming from the Hero consistantly seem to say it's significantly faster in all respects.

For those with a Moment (haha pun!), when you drag the app drawer up and down fast, does it lag? "Fast" meaning dragging up and down within a second. On my Hero with SenseUI disabled, the app drawer can become disjointed from my finger by as much as an inch. Just curious if the 800 MHz processor helps tighten things up with the UI.

I played with it.  It's significantly faster.  Engadget feels the same way:  "One of the biggest selling points of the Moment is its speedy 800MHz processor, and in general, it delivers on the promise of a faster, more pleasant Android experience."

The Moment hasn't blown anyone away because it's a play vanilla android device, but it's the fastest android device currently on the market.  The Droid will probably be faster because of the processor architecture not the speed.

Having said that, we know there are some downsides to the device as well, which have already been covered in numerous other threads.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Bought the Moment today, it's official. We love it so far. We did try the Hero and like it quite a bit, but the learning curve of virtual keyboard pushed us to the Moment, which has both a physical and virtual QWERTY.

I posted a "first impressions" summary under the Moment, check it out for more details.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat