cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I won't bother with Sprint phones anymore

Highlighted
Patron

Why I won't bother with Sprint phones anymore

I have had the HTC Hero since Oct.  When the handset was first released, it had a memory leak that basically bricked the phone; I went through three handsets before they fixed the issue.  In fact, they denied that there was an issue when I called them the first two times.  Since then, I've been waiting for Sprint and HTC to get their act together and release 2.1.  Now, Sprint admins are getting cranky and deleting posts because people are spreading rumors and getting pissed because 2.1 still isn't out.

Bite me.  I'm pissed because you sold me a phone that bricked itself, and then proceeded to make the update your absolute last priority. I don't care what agreements you have with HTC or Google, your customers *should* be your first priority and since someone at Sprint is electing not to inform us that pretty well demonstrates where we stand on your list of priorities.

Do you think the Evo will be better supported?  Heads up Sprint admins: thats a trick question.  If you think that yes, the Evo will be better supported, then maybe that says something about what sprint thinks of its early adopters (Hero owners, who basically PAID to beta-test one of the first CDMA android phones).  If it isn't, then that pretty well demonstrates that Sprint is utterly incapable of working with HTC to get their hardware updated.

Personally, I think the EVO release will be a disaster.  They're releasing the first phone with a new technology, and Sprint has a terrible track record with Android already.  And oh yeah, WIMAX is probably a dying technology anyways, given that some other carriers are rallying on a rival technology.  In short, Sprint will be lucky if I don't pay my ETF and move to a carrier which has the Nexus One, so I don't have to wait for Sprint to fix the inevitable issues with the Evo and 4G before they finally assign some resources to taking care of the Hero and Moment.

What do you think, community?

6 REPLIES 6
Journeyman

Re: Why I won't bother with Sprint phones anymore

Your agreement with us will be completed on Wed Jun 02 00:00:00 CDT 2010.  Need I say more?

Journeyman

Was that a chat response?

Patron

that is when their contract expires.

Journeyman

I am seriously thinking of cancelling my contract with Sprint and NOT paying any ETF.  As far as I am concerned, Sprint has not lived up to its end of the contract because in all my time of suffering with my Moment  I have not had a functional device.

Please don't tell me about "credit scores."  If you legitimately dispute a debt, Sprint has no right to try further collections to report me to credit bureaus until it can show that the debt is valid in a court of law.  This is Colorado law, and it's fairly typical.  I would LOVE nothing more than to be across a courtroom from a Sprint layer, and have him explain why Sprint sold me a brick and called it a "smart phone."

Journeyman

Thats much more trouble than its worth. ETF's are prorated these days.

Just sell your phone on ebay and use the money to pay the ETF. Save your credit and time fighting it.
Journeyman

Hopefully the Nexus One is still coming to Sprint.

As much as I'd love a 4G phone, and as much as I like SenseUI, I don't think I want to go with it in the future. A 6 month wait is too much for me on major updates. Honestly, if the market wasn't tied to what OS build you have, I wouldn't even be so angry about the wait. But there are really interesting apps that I want. I know this is Google's fault and not HTC or Sprint, but it is the reality that will likely keep me away from a non Google phone in the future.

Of course as I've said elsewhere, with my premier status I get to upgrade handsets annually so I really won't be too far behind tech wise no matter what phone I have. But there are just too many cooks in the kitchen for me with the Sprint, HTC, SenseUI route.

Edit: I don't think the major hold up here is Sprint. Look at the European Hero. It was out months before our phones and they still don't have an update either. We are scheduled for a May update I hope, and they have been pushed back to June. Plus they suffered with several of the issues that our phones had way before ours launched, and they didn't get a fix until we did.

Does this point to HTC as a poor company to get a phone from?

Message was edited by: jturnbowtoo

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat