cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Problem

Journeyman

WiFi Problem

I have noticed while using the WiFi connection on my Hero that it just stops working randomly.  While surfing a webpage or syncing email it works for a few momments and then stops working.  The biggest issue is when I am looking at a webpage and reading an article; after reading one page I will try to go to the next page and then it says there is no connection.  I have tested using the same WiFi connection on my laptop in the same room as my Hero.  The signal on my laptop shows either "excellent" or "very good" and has no problem connecting to and using the web.  The signal on my Hero seems to always show "poor", even if I am right near the hotspot.  I have also made sure the advanced setting in the wireless setting area of my Hero shows that the WiFi "Never" sleeps when it is enabled.

This is my second Hero phone, the first did the same thing.  Why is this happening?  Is there a fix?

4 REPLIES 4
Journeyman

Re: WiFi Problem

Really?  I am the only one having this problem???

Journeyman

I experienced this to.  This is what I did to resolve mine.  I downloaded WiFi Analyzer from the Market and found my Hero could pick up a lot of my neighbors 'strong' WiFi signals on and around the same channel I had on my wireless router (typically channels 3-6).  So, looking at the WiFi Analyzer graph, I determined the best non-used or very weak signal channel range that would be best for me and changed my wireless router to that channel.  The Hero has been solid on my WiFi since I changed it.

Journeyman

Thanks for that idea.  I downloaded WiFi Analyzer and after "analyzing" the other signals in the area, none are on the same channel as the router I am connected to.  The other signals (not the one I'm connected to) seem to also come and go on the list while the phone is just sitting on a able not moving.  Looking at the graph in the analyzer shows the signal strength of the one I'm connected to ranging from -74 dBm to -95 dBm which is very low.  The laptop I have connected to the same router constantly shows a very good or excellent signal.

So I still have no idea why this is happening.  Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Journeyman

I believe your problem is related to a wifi bug in the 2.6.27 linux kernel that HTC used.  The problem has been fixed in subsequent kernel versions, unfortunately without rooting your phone so that you can push a minor configuration to the kernel, there is no real "fix" for this at the moment.

This affects many Linksys routers, as well as a few other brands.  (Not the router manufacturer's fault)

Try updating your router's firmware, as it *might* resolve your problems.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat