cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi and misc

Highlighted
Journeyman

WiFi and misc

I cannot get my Hero to connect to my home WiFi. I found a post from anothe user describing how he changed his network from WPA-PSK (TKIP) & WPA2-PSK (AES) to stricktley WPA2-PSK (AES) and have changed mine as well. My Hero detects the network but no matter how many times I enter and renter the passphrase, it will not connect and reports the pasword is incorrect. As you can see, my typing is not that bad! I know it will connect to a friend of mines WEP network but it simply refuses to connect to mine, and I refuse to drop my security back down to WEP. I am using an older Netgear WPN824 router, but have had no problems connecting devices, in fact this post is from a laptop that I just put on the network after changing the security settings in the router.

I have also read alot about "Rooting" the device, but have not seen anything that tells how to root it. I'm new to these mobile devices but am by no means a slouch with a computer, but as with computers I did have to pick up a few tricks from others that are way more savvy than I am. If you know where to point me to learn how to do this it would be great. It sounds like there are proven upgrades that may solve my lag problems, and I'd love to give them a whirl after getting rid of the unecessary apps.

Thanks for the read and any help you may be able to give.

Ric

4 REPLIES 4
Journeyman

Re: WiFi and misc

I'm not sure what to do regarding the wifi problem, but i can help you with the rooting problem. A great develepor over at xda develeped an auto rooter for our cdma htc hero. http://geekfor.me/new-release/fresh-pre-kitchen-02/  It is pretty simple to use, and it can also be used to add custom bootscreens, lockscreens taskbars, remove stock sprint apps that you dont use and more. Once you are rooted you can choose to flash a custom rom over the stock one which will make the phone even snappier. I am using a rom called fresh rom 1.1 which is made by the same dev that made the autorooter. Personally i think it is the best and the most simplest one that is perfect for the average person. http://geekfor.me/new-release/fresh-rom-1-1/ I hope this helps!

Journeyman

I have a Dlink router and although the Hero would connect with WPA2, it was not stable.  So, I set the Dlink's guest zone to WPA Only, and have the Hero connecting via WPA Only which works every time.  Although if you ask me, the Hero's WiFi is only about twice as fast as the EvDo connection anyway.

Journeyman

Thanks for the info, I'll give ie a whirl!!

Journeyman

I'll give that a try and let you know if it works for me. If it does I will mark this question answered and move on from there. Thanks for the info.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat