cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Sprint give us Android 2.2. Froyo for the Hero?

Journeyman

Will Sprint give us Android 2.2. Froyo for the Hero?

Will Sprint give us Android 2.2. Froyo for the Hero? I recently purchased a Hero and was overwelmed by the number of apps that I had access to.  I proceeded to download them to see if I would like them or not I also downloaded a lot of ringtones only to have my phone crash several times.  Everytime that this would happen I would need to do a Hard Reset that would set my phone back to factory default and I would need to set it all up again from scratch. I went out and purchased a SD card to tried to save my apps and downloads to the SD card but could not figure out how.  After doing some reading and after installing the new 2.1 update for the Hero I found out that doing what I want saving my apps and downloads to the SD card is not available until the 2.2 version comes out.  I would like to know if this will be released to the HTC Hero users andy time soon?

6 REPLIES 6
Journeyman

Re: Will Sprint give us Android 2.2. Froyo for the Hero?

Define soon...

Journeyman

I doubt the processor in the HERO is capable of handling the 2.2 operating systems features.

As for doing backups, download the app "My Backup Pro". It's a great program and allows you to backup and restore apps. (Not purchased apps though)

Highlighted
Journeyman

BUNK wrote:

I doubt the processor in the HERO is capable of handling the 2.2 operating systems features.

As for doing backups, download the app "My Backup Pro". It's a great program and allows you to backup and restore apps. (Not purchased apps though)

I think that the processor can handle 2.2 just fine. In fact, 2.2 is a code optimization update making the software more efficient. We should actually see better performance with 2.2 than with 2.1.

But my money says that apart from a hopeful bug fix to 2.1, they are basically done with the Hero. It's time to sell us new stuff rather than support what we've already bought...

You'll notice that as a trend with all of these iPhone killers. And next quarter, when another iPhone killer drops, the killer from this quarter will be all but forgotten support wise.

It amazes me that these companies wanting to compete with the iPhone fail to see the one aspect that makes the iPhone so great. It's not dropping a technically better phone every other week. The iPhone is arguably not as good as any of the current Android phones on a tech spec sheet. It's the longevity and continued support that purchasers get. That product support longevity creates happy loyal customers. And more importantly, it allows for a great eco-system of third party stuff. Stuff that once a person buys a lot of, will likely experience the lock-in affect.

Apple got me with the iPod several years ago. After getting one, I bought a lot of stuff for it. Wall chargers, car chargers, FM tuners...not to mention tons of music from the iTunes store before it all went DRM free. So now, when I get a new music player the iPod is really the only one on my radar. Not because it is better on a spec sheet, but because it's too much hassle and expense to buy all the other "stuff" again. It helps that they are fantastic to use too.

Journeyman

I think Sprint will give us 2.2.

Why?  Well lets start here:

1) It's less than a year since initial release.  It'd look bad to those who get into a 2 year contract to see phone support ends within 9 months.

2) It'll run it, and HTC has to develop 2.2 for a other devices (like the EVO).

3) They only have 3 android devices.

4) Marketing/Corporate already doesn't like customers leaving for other companies, so they'll do what they can to keep us around within reason.

Journeyman

To answer the OPs initial question.....No, the Hero will never see an official 2.2 update. Even the last OTA update was to do nothing more than patch the 2.1 root exploit discovered by Regaw on XDA. Its all about the Evo now. Hero eill reach eol very soon.

Journeyman

troyboytn1972 you're right Froyo 2.2 update for the Hero will never come from sprint maybe HTC but not sprint the only phone on sprint's radar is the EVO

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat