cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will mobile Chrome browser come to android phones?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Will mobile Chrome browser come to android phones?

Just wondering....

2 REPLIES 2
Journeyman

Re: Will mobile Chrome browser come to android phones?

Android and Chrome are both Google products. I don't see why the wouldn't, but I have not heard of any plans to build a Chrome mobile browser yet.

Journeyman

Re: Will mobile Chrome browser come to android phones?

I don't see it happening anytime soon.  Chrome is a memory intensive web-browser that introduces secure browsing through isolated processes for each tab - also, Chrome has a very noted UI scheme (toolbars, tabs are low profile leaving more room for page-content).

The truth, however, is that BOTH Chrome and the Android browser use Web-Kit, the technology that actually renders the web page.  The only other benefit I can see the Android browser getting from Chrome is the V8-Javascript engine.  However V8 is a compiler and can be CPU and memory intensive... also V8 targets x86-based architectures for the compiled javascript code.  There is nothing stopping the V8 team on making a mobile processor compatible version of V8, however, until mobile browser can have great CPU speeds and memory that does suck the LIFE out of your battery, I do not see V8 being available for mobile browsers... YET.

Note the Chrome OS is around the corner.... Google has admitted that is is very possible that over time the Android OS and Chrome OS may converge into one.

For now... know they both use Web-Kit to layout the HTML... and Web-Kit is great layout engine (Safari uses that too).

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat