cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yahoo mail keeps saying "Login failed"

Journeyman

Yahoo mail keeps saying "Login failed"

I get this a lot with Yahoo mail - Hit Menu then Refresh I get the error "Login failed"  Usually a power cycle will fix it but not this time.  Is the problem with Yahoo, Sprint or the HTC app???

Anyone else seeing this with Yahoo mail?

7 REPLIES 7
Journeyman

Re: Yahoo mail keeps saying "Login failed"

I'm able to send mail on Yahoo but not receive.  What would cause that?

Journeyman

hey whats up here is some settings see if this works for you

setup Yahoo! Mail on Android devices

Type in yahoo e-mail addres

Type in password

Touch "Manual Setup" or "Manual Settings"

Use the information below to properly set everything up

INCOMING

Imap server - imap.mail.yahoo.com
port - 143
security type - TLS (if available)

OUTGOING

SMTP Server- smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com
port - 25
security type - TLS (if available)
* check Require sign-in

Journeyman

Thanks!  The only change I had to make was "security type - TLS (if available)".  After I power cycled the Hero I was able to refresh and didn't get the "Login failed" message.

So either the TLS changed fixed it or the reboot. I just have to wait and see...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Another thing I've noticed that you may want to know is the 'free' Yahoo mail accounts are different from the Yahoo Plus mail service account.  So, if you're like me and don't pay for a Yahoo Plus service account, then when your Hero's WiFi is on you can't connect to Yahoo mail over the Hero's WiFi internet connection.  I have to disable my Hero's WiFi so that it's coming from the Sprint network in order to get all my Yahoo mail accounts to work or else I get 'logon failed' popup's.

Journeyman

The cause for this is Yahoo.  I have had about 20 different phones on several different carriers within the past 2 years, and ALL of them would get this problem.  It would either start working on its own or I would have to delete the Yahoo account and set it back up.  Most of my friends have the same issue.  So, to put it another way....Yahoo sucks.  I have switched to Gmail for this exact reason and haven't been happier.

Journeyman

Usually when I get this error I can go to a computer and log into my yahoo account and then just close the browser. When I hit refresh on my phone it would immediately begin working again. It has done this to me on multiple phones as well so it must be a yahoo thing.  I did the manual setup as a pop3 on my Hero just yesterday and so far I have not had that issue again.  Usually it is a daily occurrence.  I have a paid Yahoo account fyi.

Journeyman

Having same issues with yahoo email (basic). I just switched from my Palm Centro to the Hero and I hardly had any issues. I did notice that yahoo email was giving me a few fits the last few weeks in Sept.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat