Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yet another blow to our favorite phone

Journeyman

Yet another blow to our favorite phone

LOL our phone has only been out for for a short time (138 days for the CDMA Hero and 219 days for the GSM Hero) and it is already being called "underpowered" and 1st gen by Adobe.  Here's a link to the article at AndroidandMe

No Flash 10.1 for 1st gen Android phones

To be fair other manufactures have and continue to mess up by releasing new Android phones with old chips.  Pretty funny how older hardware will still cost your $179 - $500.  Pretty much the same the the new stuff.  To quote a small portion of the AndroidandMe article:

Almost everything else is ARMv6 (ARM11) and will not support Flash  10.1.

U.S. Android phones that will not support Flash 10.1:

• Sprint Hero
  • Sprint Moment
  • T-Mobile G1
  • T-Mobile myTouch 3G
  • T-Mobile CLIQ
  • T-Mobile Behold II
  • Verizon Droid Eris
  • Verizon Devour

Fubie
HTC Hero and Sprint
The Not Right Now, 1ST GEN, Android Phone™ on the Now Network™.

FLAGSHIP STBU "To-Late-To-The-Game"

Unlike a certain battery powered bunny who  keeps "Going and going and going..." the Hero keeps "Waiting and    waiting and waiting..."

Message was edited by: Fubie

18 REPLIES 18
Journeyman

We already knew that, really. The Hero has the same CPU and graphics subsystem as the G1.

It's significantly slower than what we have in the Droid, Nexus One, Pre, and iPhone 3G/3GS.

Journeyman

There's a difference between "guessing", or what you are calling "knowing", and being told by someone in Adobe that it isn't going to happen.  This makes me wonder then what is next to not go on our phone since it is under powered?

Fubie
HTC Hero and Sprint
The Not Right Now, 1ST GEN, Android  Phone™ on the Now Network™.

Unlike  a certain battery powered bunny who keeps "Going and going and  going..." the Hero keeps "Waiting and waiting and waiting..."

Journeyman

Fubie wrote:

There's a difference between "guessing", or what you are calling "knowing", and being told by someone in Adobe that it isn't going to happen.  This makes me wonder then what is next to not go on our phone since it is under powered?

Fubie
HTC Hero and Sprint
The Not Right Now, 1ST GEN, Android  Phone™ on the Now Network™.

Unlike  a certain battery powered bunny who keeps "Going and going and  going..." the Hero keeps "Waiting and waiting and waiting..."

Agreed 100% fubie. Im starting to  have a feeling that 2.1 will raise more questions of "why not" rather than answering the calls of relief from the many problems. Howevere, I personally dont care about flash. I dont play flash games, and we cant use HULU on a mobile browser, so all is left is the thousands of mindless ads floating across virtually every website. Seriously, I can live without more ads burning their image into my mind.

Journeyman

Dont care because I dont need it for anything I do.

Journeyman

mbell75 wrote:

Dont care because I dont need it for anything I do.

mbell75 missing flash isn't the entire point I was trying to make.  I can live without Flash on my Hero, it would be nice since much of the web uses it, but not completely necessary.  The bigger question is that since this is Sprint's first Android phone and for whatever reason they settled for nice, but very under powered hardware for what is being thrown on top of it.  So did Sprint choose this phone hardware because:

1) The Sprint decision makers didn't have a clue and just wanted to rush their first Android phone out?

or

2) Sprint really thought this phone would still be strong for a long time?

Keep in mind that Motorola (Droid) and even HTC (NexusOne) were developing phones nearly simultaneously that were 2nd gen or newer hardware and designed for Android 2.0 or newer.  I keep coming back to the fact that Sprint had to "settle" for what hardware it could get.  Also unless I'm mistaken the subsidized and un-subsidized cost of the Hero, Droid and Nexus are pretty similar for phone hardware that is so different.  Makes you wonder.

So now were back to the fact that if the hardware on the Hero can't handle Flash, what else, including Android 2.1 with Sense dragging on it, will not run or not run well?

Fubie
HTC Hero and Sprint
The Not Right Now Android  Phone™ on the Now Network™.

Unlike  a certain battery powered bunny who  keeps "Going and going and  going..." the Hero keeps "Waiting and    waiting and waiting..."

Wizard

dude, just change carriers.  or stop posting the same stuff in every thread, its not helpful and its tiring for us all.

Sprint took the wildly popular HTC Hero phone from Europe and brought it here to the US.  They were the first major carrier to have it and worked hard to get it to us.  Clearly, it has some drawbacks.  If you don't like it, leave, you have a choice as a consumer.

Journeyman

Dang.... Starting to with I waited for the nexus one.. o well.

Journeyman

The first (insert gadget name here) will never do everything you have on your wishlist.

Remember that the iPhone didn't have basic copy and paste its first time out.

I think Sprint did a fairly good job in getting the Hero to us.  If it did NOT come out on Sprint, I'm sure forum posters would have exclaimed "Why don't we have the HERO????"

Journeyman

mmark27 wrote:

dude, just change carriers.  or stop posting the same stuff in every thread, its not helpful and its tiring for us all.

Sprint took the wildly popular HTC Hero phone from Europe and brought it here to the US.  They were the first major carrier to have it and worked hard to get it to us.  Clearly, it has some drawbacks.  If you don't like it, leave, you have a choice as a consumer.

Thank you mmark27.  While I do appreciate that everyone, including me, has the freedom of speech I am exercising *my* opinion and that is all.

First I do not have the money to pay for the early out so I can't take the easy "change carrier" you suggested.  As to your suggestion that I stop posting, my answer is as easy as no.  As I appreciate *your* (Note this is *your* opinion and not the *us* as  you put) opinion of me I do not apprecaite your insistance that I can't  post my opinion.

I want the best for everyone, and if that means question Sprints motives and decisions at all turns I will do it.  Coroporations will not make decisions in the best interest of their customers if it means hurting their bottom line.  And they will not make changes easily unless confronted by those customers.  So stop being a sheep and continue the dialog both positive and negative.

So back on topic.  What the "loss" of Flash 10.1 means, if anything to the Hero?

Fubie
HTC Hero and Sprint
The Not Right Now Android  Phone™ on  the Now Network™.

Unlike  a certain battery powered bunny who   keeps "Going and going and  going..." the Hero keeps "Waiting and     waiting and waiting..."

Journeyman

Man, sounds like you've had a terrible experience with your phone. That sucks. My Hero runs as smooth as glass. Lightning fast, no lags, no glitches. Yet I see all these people online posting diatribes about how the Hero they bought is crap. I must have just gotten lucky, though I did convince the guy at the Sprint store to let me spend some time playing around with the actual phone I was about to buy before committing to the purchase. If it had the kind of problems I hear you and others describing in these forums, I wouldn't have purchased it, that way I wouldn't be stuck with a crappy phone AND I wouldn't have to waste so much time online trying to raise awareness about it.

I got 99 problems, but my Hero ain't one.

Journeyman

I'm with you! I love the Hero and now I'm patiently waiting for 2.1. For years we've not had flash on our phones, is it really a big deal to not get it? I'm just happy as hell to have a phone to do all what it does now, more is just an extra bonus. It's really not that serious!

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat