cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YouTube: Cannot Play Video

Journeyman

Re: YouTube: Cannot Play Video

I too am having this issue recently. The problem seems to be related to the internet signal strength. I could not play you tube videos on the installed app when the mobile Internet signal is low, but when I switched it to wifi it worked. The problem seems related to signal strength within the app, since I can play the video through the browser fine. It seems to "time out" while it tries to buffer the video on a low signal and then the "cannot play" message appears.

On a different but related note, I am sometimes having trouble receiving picture mail when I am connected to wifi, and it wants me to download the photo, but it fails. As soon as I reconnect to the mobile Internet, the pictures download.  I am hopeful 2.1 fixes these issues.

Journeyman

stooge0120 wrote:

On a different but related note, I am sometimes having trouble receiving picture mail when I am connected to wifi, and it wants me to download the photo, but it fails. As soon as I reconnect to the mobile Internet, the pictures download.  I am hopeful 2.1 fixes these issues.

Unfortunately, MMS (picture mail) does not work with wifi. This is a CDMA limitation for both Sprint and Verizon. MMS can only be downloaded while using Sprints data connection. Just so you know, this is normal.

Patron

BUMP TO THE TOP TILL THEY FIX THIS ISSUE!!!!!!

Journeyman

Sprint as a corporation, from Dan Hesse on down, should hang there heads in sullen shame that this and other simmilar issues continue to fester unresolved (Same for you, HTC). Months gone by and no indication whatsoever that anything will be done to fix this. Vague, non-answers and "We're aware of the problem" ad nauseum from forum Mods does NOT cut it.  At this point I would like some of that money back (yeah, right!) that you've collected for premium data usage as this feature was one of the big reasons I agreed to pay for it in the first place.

Things such as this are a big reason imo Sprint keeps bleeding customers by the hundreds of thousands.  Time to start listening to what your customers are saying.

Wizard

This problem is not isolated to Sprint.  Here's a post on Google Support  from a Vodaphone customer with the same issue. - http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?tid=07ad5811ccb3f31a&hl=en

In the same thread, someone posted a work around - "hit the menu button (and then 'more' in the menu to be sure) directly after tapping on a video".

Highlighted
Patron

It may be a problem on non-sprint phones also. For an average customer like me I don't think it really matters whether it is a sprint's, htc's or android’s  fault. . But it  is Sprint's responsibility to get a fix for this. It is such a shame to have a cool phone like hero but not able to play videos.

Journeyman

SarahKS wrote:

This problem is not isolated to Sprint.  Here's a post on Google Support  from a Vodaphone customer with the same issue. - http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?tid=07ad5811ccb3f31a&hl=en

In the same thread, someone posted a work around - "hit the menu button (and then 'more' in the menu to be sure) directly after tapping on a video".

That would be a lot more interesting if I was under contract with Vodaphone.  I'm not.  What are you saying, exactly?  That because other carriers are having a problem, that a company with the large resources of Sprint can't, in months, figure out what's wrong nor provide a fix?

Also, a workaround is just that - Not a solution.

I don't really care who is to blame here.  Sprint, HTC and Google worked together to manufacture and sell this phone.  I would certainly expect that in this amount of time they could do so again to provide us a phone that functions properly.

Wizard

What i am saying is that this isn't really a carrier issue.  It must be related to the Hero.  We don't write the software - HTC does.

Journeyman

SarahKS wrote:

What i am saying is that this isn't really a carrier issue.  It must be related to the Hero.  We don't write the software - HTC does.

Oh, I see.  So you're saying that the phone Sprint sold to me with a 2 year contract, and Sprint required me to pay a large, extra data fee for, that is now not functioning properly, is not really a Sprint problem?  And further, that Sprint has no influence in how HTC handles the software for this phone?

Journeyman

eyebeam wrote:

SarahKS wrote:

Oh, I see.  So you're saying that the phone Sprint sold to me with a 2 year contract, and Sprint required me to pay a large, extra data fee for, that is now not functioning properly, is not really a Sprint problem?  And further, that Sprint has no influence in how HTC handles the software for this phone?

It's functioning properly. Blame YouTube - they're the ones encoding and storing their videos in a format that their Android viewer cannot decode. Blaming Sprint or even HTC is rather silly.

If YouTube's failure to provide a fully-functional video viewer app means you're not satisfied with your phone, you should return it.

Journeyman

I think you're very wrong here jonnythan.  The videos WILL play in the app SOMETIMES, after a lot of fidgeting around.  The same videos also play problem free on my wife's Moment with what seems to be the same app.  Clearly, the Android app CAN play these videos.  Even SarahKS just alluded to it being a software problem not an encoding issue.

And "you should return it" is not an option for most.

OK - I've had my rant.  Good day all.

Journeyman

eyebeam wrote:

I think you're very wrong here jonnythan.  The videos WILL play in the app SOMETIMES, after a lot of fidgeting around.  The same videos also play problem free on my wife's Moment with what seems to be the same app.  Clearly, the Android app CAN play these videos.  Even SarahKS just alluded to it being a software problem not an encoding issue.

And "you should return it" is not an option for most.

OK - I've had my rant.  Good day all.

Well, again, blame Google/YouTube. It's their app. HTC and Sprint only include it on the phone.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat