cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YouTube: Cannot Play Video

Patron

Re: YouTube: Cannot Play Video

Everybody blames Toyota for gas pedal problems not the contractor who manufactured those. Likewise it is sprint's responsibility to sell the phone with the software that works. It's sprint's responsibility to keep customers happy.. not htc not google. I don't pay my monthly bill to them.

Journeyman

srinivasug wrote:

Everybody blames Toyota for gas pedal problems not the contractor who manufactured those. Likewise it is sprint's responsibility to sell the phone with the software that works. It's sprint's responsibility to keep customers happy.. not htc not google. I don't pay my monthly bill to them.

The gas pedal problems were design problems, not manufacturing problems. And the brake problems were software design problems. They were Toyota's problems.

And no one's life is riding on whether their cell phone can play a particular YouTube video.

Poor analogy.

Journeyman

lets not flame and be mean. keep the topic open

Sarah: the "workaround" doesn't work.

My phone still doesn't play youtube videos.  How long ago did I start this thread?

22,435 views and counting.  Getting some exposure

fix this already! I mean, it's 9/12/2010 now! c'mon, you can do it!

Journeyman

jonnythan wrote:

Well, again, blame Google/YouTube. It's their app. HTC and Sprint only include it on the phone.

This does not appear to be completely accurate.

It is not a Sprint issue, I am on KPN on the Netherlands and same thing. Also on Wifi I have the problem all the time.

It is however a Hero/ Eris issue, other Android phones do not appear to be affected (as much anyway).

Also, it is an issue that started with the last update (to 1.5), so it is not an Hero hardware issue.

The video's work sometimes, so it is not working not at all, the infrastructure is all there it is just buggy as hell on Hero/ Eris phones.

I don't think it is possible for users like me to be sure what the problem is. However, what I as a simple user do know is that the YouTube app on Hero/ Eris defaults to high quality video, which it does not do on other Android phones. In other words, HTC made at least that change to the app, and it is only this HTC 1.5 android version that is having these problems, so I would say the smart money is on HTC messing up.

Now, with regards to placing blame:

• Sprint is not to blame perhaps, but as a Sprint customer you probably only have a customer relationship with them, so it makes sense (ui) to take it up with them if you have a problem. If you get sick from eating a Snickers, you don't go find the cacao farmer that sneezed while harvesting (if you don't like car comparisons....).
  • Also, Sprint people like SarahKS probably have better access to HTC to press on this problem than you or I, and I don't think it is even known whether HTC development is even aware of this issue.
  • HTC messed up (if what I say above is correct), if you don't know what you're doing please don't change other people's apps thanks. They also could handle public relations better by putting some useful info on this on their Hero support pages, and making us all feel better by saying they will correct things in the upcoming release (which according to Dutch news sources should be a 2.1 release coming in March).
  • Google made this app, but more relevant to me is that Google is in a position to release updated versions of this app but do not. Because actually my preferred solution would be that a better standard YouTube app would be available in the market. This also goes for a number of other apps from, it is very weird to me that the tie updates to their apps to platform releases.
Journeyman

Hey everybody --

Listen, SarahKS was not saying that we are washing our hands of this issue. She's only trying to give you as much information as she can, which is that this problem seems to be happening for Vodafone users of the Hero as well as you guys.

Not only that, according to this Android thread the same issue is happening on Verizon's Droid Eris. There are also some more workaround issues, and a hint that low-quality viewing may work when high-quality does not. http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-hero/27930-youtube-hates-me.html

Here's a sample post from there:

I have called Verizon (who says they have received calls about this) as well as HTC (the tech I spoke to had the same issue on his "test" phone he had with him believe it or not), and they had no answer for me....also checked youtube specific forums and have noticed threads from all sorts of users (i phones, blackberries, etc.)

I have tried a full factory reset, traded in for a brand new phone, and STILL experiencing these issues...

Wondering why it's just with some users, not all, and so scattered across phones/carriers...

Also -- a workaround is not the ultimate fix, but hey, can anyone verify whether a workaround works for you in the meantime? It's better than not being able to see YouTube videos at all.

Bottom line: WE WANT YOU TO BE ABLE TO SEE YOUTUBE VIDEOS. If we find out anything that'll help you, you'll see it up here as soon as we find out.

Highlighted
Patron

I thought that was a pretty good analogy. But anyway with all due respect I am not expecting you to judge and rank my anology. I am merely expressing my opinion. And I still believe it is sprint that needs to work with htc or google or who ever it is to make this problem fixed as soon as possible.

SPRINT please take care of this !!!!!

Journeyman

The work around only works as often as not using the work around, which is now approximately one in twenty. Yes, it is getting worse.  OK guys, heres the deal, Sarah is a good admin. She helped us poor Instinct users in the past as best she could and often got us some progress. Haven said that, ok, it is a widespread HTC Hero/Eris problem which needs to be fixed. This fix will only come, when Sprint, Verizon, and the Euro carriers demand HTC to issue a fix......so, yes, this is Sprints responsibility to its paying customers and there is NO debating that. A debate against that point will always fail. The customer is always right! Period!

Sprint Product Ambassador

I donno if I'm supposed to say this, but I do know the Youtube issue is visible all up the product foodchain and it is getting attention.  I'm personally impacted by this too, and I wish we had a fix.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

Thanks for the tip Will. Hopefully Sprint will force HTC to resolve this before the illusive 2.1.

Journeyman

Jeeze a lot of people can't get by without YouTube.  I think I go there once a month on my computer, let alone my phone.

Journeyman

LineNoise wrote:

***** a lot of people can't get by without YouTube.  I think I go there once a month on my computer, let alone my phone.

Giving you all the more time to go post in forums on topics you don't care about, lecturing people on what they they are and are not allowed to find important??

At least my choice in wasting my time does not waste other people's time (if it were working on my Hero that is).....

Journeyman

+1

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat