cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

android 2.1 update

Go to solution

android 2.1 update

switched to sprint from tmobile because of no android 2.1 update, anyone know when its coming or did i switch for nothing?

89 REPLIES 89
Journeyman

Re: android 2.1 update

There's been hundreds upon hundreds of posts about the Hero update over the last few months on this forum. If you look through enough threads just about every conversation on here tends to deviate to the "when are we getting our update?" talk eventually. In short, the Hero comes with 1.5, Sprint decided to skip 1.6 and 2.0 to go for the 2.1 update which has been posted to release as an update "1H2010" so no later than June 30th. Most people are hoping for April but no official word yet. If you're really that antsy for 2.1 there are a few 2.0+ custom ROMs out there but from everything I've read there are stability issues or bugs with most of them. I'm rooted myself with custom kernal and have no intention of rooting further, but reviews are good so far. But 2.1 update should hit no later than June 30 at most and if you want to know the 'hows' or 'whys' just start reading through some of the posts on this forum and you'll find tons of info.

I know. I've been reading threads upon threads even before I switched to Sprint. My goal is to find one person who is actually intelligent enough to not post rumors about Mar 26th or say sometime before July. Us as customers deserve to know an answer to this popular question and not to be left asking this over and over.

Journeyman

The answer is "early 2nd quarter of 2010."

Highlighted
Journeyman

untrustingsoul2009 wrote:

I know. I've been reading threads upon threads even before I switched to Sprint. My goal is to find one person who is actually intelligent enough to not post rumors about Mar 26th or say sometime before July. Us as customers deserve to know an answer to this popular question and not to be left asking this over and over.

You won't find one person intelligent enough to tell you anything more than rumors. Because it has nothing to do with intelligence. Sprint has not determined, or announced an exact release date. Until they do, "anything" "anyone" tells you will be speculation and or rumor...period.

And welcome to Sprint, I think you'll like it!

But if you were leaving T-Mo because there was no word on 2.1, and you knew there was no word on 2.1 here either because you've read thread upon thread stating so, then why did you switch?

Thanks. Tmo sucked on coverage and customer service and I need good coverage for my job. Sprint by far surpasses tmo on both coverage and speed, I'm just hoping we get 2.1 really soon so I can rub it in all my tmo friends faces.

Journeyman

Actually I agree with this too. Back in the $100 unlimited days it was debatable to be worth it but the coverage I get in this part of my town that even iPhone users don't have + unusually flexible and helpful cust service + a new $69 price point = damn happy I decided not to jump carriers. Especially now that Sprint has announced Evo 4G in only a matter of months. So yeah, don't pin your hopes on having a 2.1 phone sooner than So-And-So carrier, but for all intensive purposes I think you'll be happier with the move.

Well, yet another update of the update has come out. Seems there will be an official update to the hero on April 9th. However, it was not said if it was to be the big update. But whatever it is, hero will have some kind of update on the 9th.

Patron

Are you &^(*!& kidding me? Another stupid post about the 2.1 update??

oye...

The next person who creates another damn thread about the 2.1 update better be telling us it is available.

Journeyman

untrustingsoul2009 wrote:

Well, yet another update of the update has come out. Seems there will be an official update to the hero on April 9th. However, it was not said if it was to be the big update. But whatever it is, hero will have some kind of update on the 9th.

Not sure where you've heard that, but it sounds unlikely... and it didn't apparently come from Sprint directly, so I think you can discount it.

Patron

It is a rumored release date, based on a possible internal Sprint document:

http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-htc-hero-getting-android-21-april-9th

It is an MMS fix and says nothing about 2.1. 2.1 could still be released and this April 9th update (if true) has nothing to do with it. Some are simply speculating that it doesn't make sense to update to 2.1 before April 9th, then have another fix come out on April 9th. But the MMS issue is separate.

It is an ***** that they can get their Evo 4G ready but can't finalize on their update for Hero!!! I have been patient about this like most of us on here, but I wonder what does it take Sprint to come up with a solid date even now ( after showing off a working Evo 4G to the world) !!!! I know there will be thousands of you getting ready to jump at my throat as if you are getting pay checks from Sprint quoting " first they said 1H 2010" then they said "early 2Q" BS. Most of us are tired of it..... Is Sprint development full of incompetents or is there a business strategy behind it to go totally bankrupt by losing more customers every quarter???

I love Android but I am done with HTC's Sense UI and if Sprint is not coming up with vanilla Android high end phones (I know I hear Nexus song, but no dates and it doesn't even show up on Google's website yet!!!) I am out ...... Maybe they have the best plans but who knows what the future holds!!!

(Now I start counting minutes before angry all powerful Sprint Admin takes this post off the form.....)

Message was edited by: izzyks

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat