Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

android 2.1 update

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: android 2.1 update

alchemist007 wrote:

It is an e-f-f-ing BS that they can get their Evo 4G ready but can't finalize on their update for Hero!!! I have been patient about this like most of us on here, but I wonder what does it take Sprint to come up with a solid date even now ( after showing off a working Evo 4G to the world) !!!! I know there will be thousands of you getting ready to jump at my throat as if you are getting pay checks from Sprint quoting " first they said 1H 2010" then they said "early 2Q" BS. Most of us are tired of it..... Is Sprint development full of incompetents or is there a business strategy behind it to go totally bankrupt by losing more customers every quarter???

I love Android but I am done with HTC's Sense UI and if Sprint is not coming up with vanilla Android high end phones (I know I hear Nexus song, but no dates and it doesn't even show up on Google's website yet!!!) I am out ...... Maybe they have the best plans but who knows what the future holds!!!

(Now I start counting minutes before angry all powerful Sprint Admin takes this post off the form.....)

I'm not sure what you're tired of. Are you tired of waiting for early 2Q?

It sounds like you're most annoyed that they didn't release it before they said they would.

jonnythan...... my friend!!! how did I expect it was gonna be you who will be the first ones to cut my throat on that last thread!!! I really think my post is self explanatory if you read between the lines.... uh! no.... just read the lines have a nice weekend

Journeyman

Probably because I'm the voice of reason around here

Journeyman

Well Microsoft showed off Windows Phone v7 which to the general public looks like something you could be running tomorrow, yet won't be on any devices before Holiday Season '10.  EVO 4g isn't out... it's been shown but that doesn't mean Sense UI isn't done and fully working on it.  From the videos I saw there was nothing new in it compared to the hero version.

Not only would I like a version for 2.1, but I would like to see at least one extra feature... oh wait that pinch/zoom home screen was actually pretty cool. Fogot that.

Umm.... I would really think it would be very dumb of Sprint if they gave their coolest/newest phone with unfinished version of software to the attendees in the conference and expect great reviews about the phone! As far as why everyone is waiting for 2.1, yes one aspect is visible cool features, if any, but mainly the bug fixes..... laggy dial pad, screwed up bluetooth, non native CDMA, unable to access cool apps that are built only for 1.6+, well actually the list is long.....     

Journeyman

Here's some info I found and hopefully it will happen this time around!! http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-htc-hero-getting-android-21-april-9th

Journeyman

You say it would be dumb of Sprint to show a unfininished version... well for one it was HTC showing it.

Two, I'd say it's par for the course.  Sprint didn't post any specs or anything on THEIR website until the day the phone was actually being sold. Anyone looking for information prior to day one would be turned away and I almost was.  I found it apalling I couldn't find specs until it was being sold. For what? What's to hide??

So showing off an unfinished version of Sense UI (again, HTC did the showing)... to me, would see doable.  I've seen plenty of other vendors do it.

Are we still talking about Sprint Evo 4G?   ( http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/03/sprint-htc-show-first-4g-android-phone/ ) Do you see the logo on the right? That means it is Sprint approved! http://newsreleases.sprint.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=127149&p=irol-newsArticle_newsroom&ID=1405106&highlig... And did you read this? (Darn! I should be PR for Sprint!!) And it is not on the market yet!! Do you really think Sense UI is unfinished? Even after launch and availability of Legend and Desire? (Unless they really have a different Sense UI for Sprint/US)

Anyway if it really makes you feel comfortable, we will end this note agreeing Sense UI is unfinished, HTC showed off "Sprint Evo 4G" and had nothing to do with Sprint.

I presume you can't possibly be responding to my earlier comments, from your confident tone, I assume you must have gotten confused with some other post cause your 1+1 just doesn't add up to 2!!! Have a nice weekend my friend!

That's my whole point. Not that i can not wait for the update, but that Sprint can't seem to focus on one date. Every time we get close to the supposed release date, it changes. All we are asking for is to give us a specific date and then stick to it.

Ok, now I've had it. Taiwan is getting a date of April 26 for 2.1 upgrade. WTF, how do they know when they are getting it but one of the worlds largest phone companies have no idea when they will update their customers?

Highlighted
Journeyman

untrustingsoul2009 wrote:

That's my whole point. Not that i can not wait for the update, but that Sprint can't seem to focus on one date. Every time we get close to the supposed release date, it changes. All we are asking for is to give us a specific date and then stick to it.

So what do you mean by "supposed" release date? supposed by whom? Some guy on a website somewhere? They certainly did not come from Sprint or HTC. Neither of them have ever given a release date beyond 1H 2010 or early Q2 2010. And they have said that we are still on track for that.

I've heard; Dec. 5th, Jan. 11th, March 22nd, March 26th, April 9th and now lastly April 26th. I was offline most of Feb. so there may have been one in there too that I didn't see.

The one common factor in all of those dates is that they did not come from Sprint or HTC.

If you pin your happiness on every new date announced by some random guy on a random website somewhere or some random tweet, and not on what Sprint has actually said, be prepared for lots of let down.

Journeyman

Well whether this is true or not remains to be seen but it looks as if taiwanese hero'es get there upgrade on april 26th

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-hero-gets-21-upgrade-april-26th-%E2%80%93-taiwan

Looks like HTC announced that on plurk

Message was edited by: wickeddreamzx

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat