cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

android 2.1 update

Go to solution
Highlighted

android 2.1 update

switched to sprint from tmobile because of no android 2.1 update, anyone know when its coming or did i switch for nothing?

89 REPLIES 89
Highlighted
Journeyman

untrustingsoul2009 wrote:

That's my whole point. Not that i can not wait for the update, but that Sprint can't seem to focus on one date. Every time we get close to the supposed release date, it changes. All we are asking for is to give us a specific date and then stick to it.

Sprint has given us exactly two "dates":

1H10

and

Early 2Q10

That's it. Neither has passed yet.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well At least you can say it will be sometime in the near future if HTC confirmed a release date for the GSM version then the CMDA version cant be far behind or ahead. Well 1st Half 2010 still is ways away But I have seen both early and late 2Q10. So at least It's sometime in the next 3 Months. I think half the time people just like to make up release dates as Sprints releases usually are generalized and not usually specific. It could be worse they could just keep pushing it back like they do the droids lol. all those droid whiners yelling about a cosmetic update 2.0 to 2.1 where as the hero and the moment 2.1 will be huge upgrades

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just for everyone's info, there is a full-function Sprint 2.1 ROM up on XDA.

Highlighted
Journeyman

From sprint cs:  Thank you for contacting Sprint about the Android 2.1 update.   I understand that you want to know about the availability of Android 2.1 with HTC Hero.  We are actively working on having the Android 2.1  platform available to our Hero and Moment customers over the coming  weeks.  Please look for more information coming in April about Android  2.1 platform for Hero and Moment.    You will find product details on Sprint.com and in promotional  information at our retail stores. We encourage you to watch news reports or monitor our web site to see if a change in availability occurs.   Thank you for writing to us.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Let me chime in with my 2 cents.

We are not even in 2Q yet, early 2Q would mean April by anyones definition.  Be happy that HTC and Sprint are upgrading to 2.1 on the Hero at all.  If this were AT&T and Apple we would get "Just buy the new one".

As far as showing the EVO, HTC's version would be fully functional with Sense and 2.1, as it isn't a far cry from the release for the hero they sent over to Sprint months ago, all that would be missing would be Sprint bloat-ware, and lets be honest, that isn't going to keep the phone from functioning.

And if the private developers over @ XDA can take a leaked 2.1 rom for the Eris and make it work on the Hero(Fan-freaking-tasticly, I might add)  I highly doubt HTC would have any problems.

Message was edited by: HelgesenJ

Highlighted
Journeyman

So I was just lloking at my Hero to find the bloatware you mentioned. All I could find was Sprint Nav (awesome) soon to be irrelevant in 2.1, NFL (being dropped by Sprint) and Sprint TV (Meh...). I found deleting the shortcuts helped. Doesn't sound like much bloat.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I Have always seen 2Q and if HTC has announced the Update for taiwan Hero'es for April 26th. I would say that the CMDA version will be sometime shortly after. The GSM versions usually go first with HTC. And the update will most likely have to be downloaded from HTC

Highlighted
Journeyman

So you didn't see the NASCAR app, or the Footprints app?  Just more garbage we don't want/need.  Let people who want to read about cars turning left for four hours download it and not stick those who could care less with it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Footprints is HTC

Highlighted
Journeyman

NotReady4PrimeTime wrote:

So you didn't see the NASCAR app, or the Footprints app?  Just more garbage we don't want/need.  Let people who want to read about cars turning left for four hours download it and not stick those who could care less with it.

Applications I use that other people don't = great stuff

Applications I don't use that other people do = bloat

Seriously, it's just hard to imagine that anyone's life, as it relates to your interaction with a phone, is being compromised in any critical manner because of the fraction of a percent of available memory that some preloaded application is taking up. If you don't like it, just don't use it, but don't insult the people who do. If you get to the point where your phone won't do something that you want it to because of the 516KB of storage used by the NASCAR app, then come back and complain. Fair?

Highlighted
Journeyman

While it certainly doesnt address any current handset from Sprint, it is helpful to know that they are rolling out an app store, where things like the cooked-in apps will reside, allowing you do download them or not.

The only exception I see to that is the Nuance voice control feature on many of their phones. If removed the button on the phone would have to be remapped for Google voice control, which from many reports I've read is not as feature filled as Nuance is. Though I wouldnt know first hand since I'm stuck on Android 1.5  *hint hint Sprint. hint hint*

Message was edited by: HunterA3

Highlighted
Journeyman

agreed although I never understood why sprint would not make these apps uninstallable I mean come on do they think we will see it so much well just start to like it and use it why purposely keep something that will make customers complain

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat