cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email not checking / notifying??

Journeyman

email not checking / notifying??

My email setup is not working properly. Phone is supposed to check every 15 min, but sometimes does not check for 45 min or longer! And often when it does check and downloads email, there is no notification and the newly downloaded emails are not bold like they should be. This happens in both POP and IMAP. Anyone else? Any suggestions?

(I have just bad to swap back to my Blackberry Tour because I am working on a job where instant email is crucial...)

Message was edited by: ronnienyc

9 REPLIES 9
Journeyman

Re: email not checking / notifying??

Mine has been doing this a lot as well.

I'll be perplexed as to why I have not gotten an e-mail in a long time... then I go into the mail.. and see that it has not synced for 2-3 hours (when its set to check every 10min BTW).

Just another lovely quirk with this phone

Message was edited by: DMC-12

Message was edited by: DMC-12

Journeyman

Out of curiosity, is "set as default account" selected for the account you are having delays with?

Mine was not, and I changed that setting last night...

It should not make any difference, but stranger things have happened with the Hero.

Journeyman

I have the same problem with email. Luckily, my job is more forgiving with email. Its important, but not critical. I have a slightly different wrinkle too that has played a role. My company has not implemented proper SSL certificates for the exchange server, and I have found that ActiveSync is not happy about this. I often have to re-do setup w/o changing a thing, just re-submit the same configuration and I get an unsigned SSL warning. Then viola, my mail starts working again. What is very odd is that I don't get errors in this situation. It looks like everything is working, but the mail is not up to date. I would love to help the developers debug this, but I am frustrated as an end-user who bought a business tool and expected it to work.

Cheers.

Journeyman

So should I conclude that this is not a wide spread issue since only two people reported the same issue?

In that case, maybe I should swap handsets to resolve this issue?

Journeyman

I'm not sure if it is a hardware issue that could be resolved by swapping handsets. It could be, but the behavior looks more to be a software issue with specific circumstances. Hence, only a few have posted with the problem. Looking through the thread, more details would be needed to debug.

Things such as, what type of e-mail. Pop, Exchange, etc. The e-mail server configuration. Connection mode of the Hero: WiFi, 3G, or conditional mix? There are lots of moving parts for an e-mail system, and a few more to link a mobile device to it.

Cheers,

Journeyman

Thanks Paul. Yes, I agree that it is not like hardware. But, the thinking was that this problem may be like the "missing sms" issue, where it seems to be software, but no amount of time on tech support or screwing with the settings helped. The only thing that helped people with that "missing sms" issue was swapping phones...

Anyway, my circumstances with the notification issue: POP and IMAP showed same issue; I believe it happened with both wifi and 3g,

(again the issue is that messages show up but appear to be "read" when they are not, and there is no notification sound. this does not happen with other phones configured the same way. Nor does it happen with my email clients on the desktop computers I use. Only the Hero does this.)

re:

I'm not sure if it is a hardware issue that could be resolved by swapping handsets. It could be, but the behavior looks more to be a software issue with specific circumstances. Hence, only a few have posted with the problem. Looking through the thread, more details would be needed to debug.

Things such as, what type of e-mail. Pop, Exchange, etc. The e-mail server configuration. Connection mode of the Hero: WiFi, 3G, or conditional mix? There are lots of moving parts for an e-mail system, and a few more to link a mobile device to it.

Cheers,

Journeyman

Ive recently had the same as issue as well. I have my emails set to refresh every 15 minutes and its not. I have to actually go into mail (gmail, aol) and refresh it manually to get any new mail. Its frustrating.

Message was edited by: thebestpest1

Highlighted
Journeyman

My preloaded Android Gmail app has been acting buggy lately.  I have received some emails and the phone not produced a notification (led flash, audible alert, vibrate are all selected).

Journeyman

I have three email accounts on my phone Gmail, Yahoo and Comcast. Comcast being the default. Last weekend my Comcast and Yahoo

were not updating but the Gmail was. I ended up resetting up the Comcast and Yahoo no more issues since. Very Weird.  

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat