How to get this fixed

i downloaded it right from Sprint.com/downloads

when i do this this is what happens.

any help?

thanks

17 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: error (170) usb connection error

I also had this issue with the leaked version...

Make sure your phone is close to fully charged. A low battery won't allow you to upgrade.

Disable your virus/firewall.

Don't mount your SD card, just plug the phone in.

After I did these steps, it went through flawlessly.

Good luck!

Journeyman

I'm having the same exact problem. It won't allow me to update my hero.

Journeyman

I upgraded my husband's using the official download today and made sure to take all of those actions with no problems.

Do you have the latest Sync installed on your computer as well?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I got the fix! you know when you plug your phone on the computer and you get the two options to either sync your phone or mount the sd card? simply select the sync option (even if you dont have the software to sync your phone with the computer) and then do the last click and your phone will be recognized!. Any questions? fire away!

Journeyman

I am still getting that same error (170) even after disabling USB debugging on the phone and disabling firewall on the computer...

One solution (the easiest in my opinion) is to install the HTC Sync software. There is a version preloaded on the SD card that came with the phone, you just need to install it on your computer; or you can download it from the HTC website. This will install all of the necessary USB drivers for the Hero.

Journeyman

no matter what sync software is used, I cannot get it to work with Windows 7 64-bit.

I have used Vista 64-bit drivers, and Windows 7 64-bit now recognizes the Android phone, but whenever I attempt to run the ROM upgrade utility to upgrade my HTC Hero from 1.5 to the new Eclair 2.1, it comes back with the same error (170) that it cannot connect to the phone over the USB connection.

What is going on?

Journeyman

Hey, I'm pretty sure I know what's going on. Try this: On your phone, go to settings, applications, development, and check both the usb debugging and the stay awake check marks. Then try to run the update.

Journeyman

I got the fix! you know when you plug your phone on the computer and you get the two options to either sync your phone or mount the sd card? simply select the sync option (even if you dont have the software to sync your phone with the computer) and then do the last click and your phone will be recognized!. Any questions? fire away!