cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

firmware update = messaging fail!

Journeyman

firmware update = messaging fail!

I traded in my original two Heros for this one due to missing sms messages. My current Hero had perfect SMS messaging until the recent OTA update. I am shocked to report that now (since the update yesterday) I am back to delayed and missing messages again! I find this incredible.

8 REPLIES 8
Wizard

Re: firmware update = messaging fail!

ronnienyc wrote:

I traded in my original two Heros for this one due to missing sms messages. My current Hero had perfect SMS messaging until the recent OTA update. I am shocked to report that now (since the update yesterday) I am back to delayed and missing messages again! I find this incredible.

Ronnie that sucks!  I haven't had a single issue with missing any SMS or MMS messages even from the start.  I had to go back to using the Handcent though as the stock app doesn't handle MMS very well.

Do you have a task killer installed or have your been killing applications?  I would bet no, since it is pretty well documented on this forum that's a bad idea.  Can you relate the missing messages to network strength at all?  Is it on roaming or on network?  There is an autoretrieve setting for roaming networks that you can check in the settings for Messages or Handcent if you answered roaming.  I hope that gets worked out for you.  It's odd that so many people have so many different experiences with this phone, I must have got a gem off the production line, yours might have been Friday at 4:45pm every time.

Journeyman

Hi Mark, I was not roaming and I do not use task killers...

This is a mystery and a real disappointment once again. Nothing worse than wondering if someone sent you something which you did not receive! Also, the ones which are arriving are taking up to 1/2 hour or more to get here. Not good.

Message was edited by: ronnienyc

Journeyman

I was missing text messages before the update - and still am now...  It's my 29th day - and I've been on the phone with Sprint and in and out of sprint stores with people assuring me that everything was ok now after they looked at my phone and did whatever they did to it and assured me that there was no network issue - and it's been a continuous problem...

I'm not sure if its the phone or the network as this is my first Sprint phone and this never happened to me on Verizon before...   So if I change phones and find out that its an issue with the network I'm screwed since I'll be beyond my 30 days...

The worst part is that I never get them delayed - they just never come at all...

Really thinking of going back to Verizon...

Journeyman

I'm also loosing SMS messages both before and after the OTA update 1.56. I have sorta found a test that seems to work for me to replicate the issue. I've only tested it a couple times though perhaps you guys can. If someone sends me a multi-part message ie one with more than 160 characters it's supposed to send the text as (1/3) (2/3) (3/3) however I've twice now gotten a multi-part message and in both cases I ONLY got (1/3) and (2/3) I never received the third message.

I do not appear to have any 'delay' with txt as of yet but I don't get a lot of text messages. My two tests above arrived within 10 seconds.

Here's hoping the fix these issues.

Journeyman

Nick, I actually think Sprint is great, and I have never missing messages from any other Sprint phone over the years (I have probably had 15 sprint phones, including a few Blackberrys, Razr, Instinct, Pre, etc., etc.)

The hero is the only one with these issues in my experience, so if I were you I'd try another model of phone before dropping Sprint entirely...

(for the record, my BB Tour has been flawless.)

Journeyman

Have you checked that you're on the mobile network (not wireless) when you're missing messages? You won't be able to receive MMS if you're not on the mobile network, so if you're switching between wifi/mobile network that could explain it.

Journeyman

Thanks for the idea rasa, but I am not using WIFI at all with the Hero (partly because the battery life is already so limited...)

In any case, even if I was somehow using WIFI only, the SMS messages should come in when the phone reestablishes it's data connection - rather than just disappearing permanently.

This is not good.

Journeyman

Yah, it's rediculous I've been on the phone SEVERAL times with Sprint - been to the store twice - they won't let me even exchange for another model within the 30 days, but they assure me that whatever they've done fixed it...  And it never fixes it - if I turn the phone off and on no matter what they do - text messages work again - I've done that several times in testing it my self...

But all that communication is gone during that time that whatever triggers the messaging to stop working goes into effect is gone forever...  And its inevitable that after six hours or whatever - the text messaging stops working as it does daily, and the only way I know is everyday when people call and say "you didn't respond to my message."

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat