cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hero

Journeyman

hero

thinking of buying the hero anybody want to tell me the pros an cons ? need to now if battery holds up?

10 REPLIES 10
Journeyman

Re: hero

Battery life is good after the November update. There are still quirks here and there. Youtube rarely works, sometimes the phone is laggy (unless you root and install cusom roms/kernels), and there are a few issues with build quality. Bottom line...I will recommend the Hero to anyone. ALL phones have there bad and good points and I believe that the Hero's good completely outweighs its bad points. Do the research, go play with a demo at a Sprint store or Best Buy (which btw, now has the Hero for $79, new contract or upgrade). you ultimately have to make your own mind.

Journeyman

As troyboytn said, the battery is fine, IMHO, if you use the phone wisely.  I turn off unnecessary services (i.e. bluetooth and wifi) when not needed and with moderate usage I still have between 40-50% battery at 5 P.M.  The phone has some oddities that hopefully will be addressed with an O/S update.  The biggest issue with the Hero I think is a problem with Android as a whole.  Otherwise known as O/S fragmentation.

I really do enjoy this phone, and just might be purcahsing another for my wife.  We'll see next month...  Again as troyboytn said you have to make up your own mind.

Fubie
HTC  Hero and Sprint
The Not Right Now Android Phone™ on   the Now  Network™.

Unlike  a certain battery powered bunny who   keeps  "Going and going and going..." the Hero keeps "Waiting and       waiting  and waiting..."

Journeyman

Pro's...Android, seemingly unlimited customization

Con's.... defective builds,  dusting under the screen almost seems inevidable, paint chipping away, pieces falling apart ( can someone say Rushed? )

( Samsung A-940's are notorious for dust collecting under the camera lens, pain in the rear...now imagine your screen doing this  )

Best Buy has these units super cheap now...fits the build imo.

Bottom line is you don't put a gem in a cheap box and expect quality....that's what happened here.

People do love this phone though..

Journeyman

Let see buy this phone???

Pros - Its a slick phone, has a lot of potential

Cons -  Many, look around on this forum, two of the most complained about bugs are the ring lag, not everybody has it (or they don't realize they have it) but many people do and it causes missed phone calls, so as a phone I would not consider it reliable.  Another big complaint is the touch screen lag, primarily with the dialer (personally I think the same thing that is causing the touchscreen to be laggy is also causing the ring lag).

HTC's "official position" is the ring lag is a carrier problem and they aren't fixing it, yes I have that in an email from HTC!  (unless of course 2.1 solves the problem in which case it really wasn't a carrier issue - my addition),  Also according to HTC, they haven't heard anybody complain about the touchpad lag so everybody who's been complaining you must be imagining things.

Oh bluetooth?  something else that's unreliable, HTC claims the Bluetooth stack is incomplete in 1.5 (so why did you release it???) and should be fixed in 2.1.

Sprint and HTC get off you butts and fix the POS phone!

-TL

Journeyman

Time_Lord wrote:

Let see buy this phone???

Pros - Its a slick phone, has a lot of potential

Cons -  Many, look around on this forum, two of the most complained about bugs are the ring lag, not everybody has it (or they don't realize they have it) but many people do and it causes missed phone calls, so as a phone I would not consider it reliable.  Another big complaint is the touch screen lag, primarily with the dialer (personally I think the same thing that is causing the touchscreen to be laggy is also causing the ring lag).

HTC's "official position" is the ring lag is a carrier problem and they aren't fixing it, yes I have that in an email from HTC!  (unless of course 2.1 solves the problem in which case it really wasn't a carrier issue - my addition),  Also according to HTC, they haven't heard anybody complain about the touchpad lag so everybody who's been complaining you must be imagining things.

Oh bluetooth?  something else that's unreliable, HTC claims the Bluetooth stack is incomplete in 1.5 (so why did you release it???) and should be fixed in 2.1.

Sprint and HTC get off you butts and fix the POS phone!

-TL

You are correct on most you say. Rooting is not for every one, but I just have to add that the ringer lag and the lag experienced while dialing a number is non existant for me after rooting and installing a custom kernel (still use the stock rom). I know....we shouldnt have to root to get a better functional experience, but you know...just sayin.

Alsothe incomplete bluetooth stack is not HTC's problem/doing. All devices running Android versions under 2.0 have incomplete bluetooth stacks and actually so does 2.1 concidering that bluetooth voice dialing is still not implemented. In this day and age, it inexcusable that this function is not implemented concidering my flip phone from 4 years ago did this. Blame Google for this one.

Journeyman

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.  I have had none of the problems described earlier in this thread except the occasional ring lag and in a previous thread one post said to turn off the vibrate  in conjuntion with the ring.  I did that and it seems to have corrected the problem.at least for now.

Journeyman

If you do buy it, you should get it from HTC.  http://www.shopamerica.htc.com/cell-phones/productdetail.htm?prId=36756&popup=1

Journeyman

I would recomend getting something with a faster processor.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Of  course, I'm waiting for the Evo.  I was just trying to help a Hero fan get a better deal.  I was going to get the Hero, but saw the video for the Evo.

Journeyman

As others have stated there are some quirks that you should be aware of before you make the decision.  The 2 suggestions I could make before you decide to is this.

Remember that 'All' Smart Phones battery life is dependant upon how you use the phone.  Even if they say you get 200 hours of standby and 5 1/2 hours of talk is if the phone is sitting there with no applications running.  The more you use a Smart Phone the more battery drain you cause.  Alot of people forget the fact that when you are checking your E-Mail, replying to Text Messages, looking at pictures or using the camera or any other apps.  You are causing the battery to drain faster.  I see people complaining about the battery life all the time but it doesn't matter if you have an IPhone, Android Phone, Blackberry, etc.. they all have that same problem.  Not to mention if you are not using a Digital Towers signal the phone will drain even quicker.

2nd thing I would suggest on any phone is to get something that will protect your phone better.  I use an Invisible Shield and I swear by them.  I have put them on several of my phones and to me it's a great investment.  That will protect your phone from paint chips and a few other things as well.  They also have a life time warrenty on their product. So for me it's a win win..Oh its made by a company called ZAGG.

Other then that, when they finally release the 2.1 software update the phone possibly won't have some of the issues it has been having and will speed the phone up as well.  Granted there are newer, faster phones out but you will see that happen all the time.  The thing is to find a phone you are happy with and meets the needs you are looking for, until you are able to upgrade again.

Hope this helps.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat