cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

htc hero text/chat problem

Highlighted
Journeyman

htc hero text/chat problem

hey everyone.  i just got the HTC Hero and ran into a problem that i was not able to find ANYWHERE on the web.  before the phone even had 10 hours of use it started threading all my texts under one contact name.  example: i was texting my buddy, my dad and my girlfriend...i 'composed' a new message for all three contacts (because it was a brand new phone) and once i sent all of the texts, they ended up being threaded together under my buddies name.  once they replied, the return texts also ended up in the thread.  at that point there was no way to know who i was texting (unless i composed a brand new text) and no organization in the texts.

i called sprint and both the CS rep and the tech had never heard of this error on the HTC Hero.  so...i'm just putting it up here in case some other person has this same problem and is looking for a solution.  and the solution is --- take the phone back!  sprint tech support was not able to fix this issue.  if this happens to you, it is a defected phone.  i returned the phone and am now enjoying my Hero.  it's a sweet phone...when it works

20 REPLIES 20
Journeyman

Re: htc hero text/chat problem

ok it looks like i spoke too soon...

my NEW HTC Hero is doing the same thing AGAIN!  i'm getting frustrated...  i called Best Buy where i got it and let the manager know it was messing up my text/chat functions again.  he said he did some research after i left and it turns out the reason that it is messing up is because my Palm Centro uses Cellebrite for their data backups and for some reason the Android system doesn't like the info it was given when transferring my contacts.  so i have to go in the store AGAIN and they're going to hard reset my phone and put some weird program on my Centro and re-transfer my contacts.  what a pain!!  i'm pretty bummed out about this...i'm going to have to adjust all my settings again - FOR THE THIRD TIME!  does anyone else out there have this problem?? sheesh....

Journeyman

Do you use the Bank of America app? I've read that it causes threading problems. Also, if you are using the stock messaging app then you might want to try Handcent. I've used Handcent since day 1 and never encountered that problem. It has lots of customizations which I think makes it way better than the stock app, plus it will automatically resize pictures which I've also heard is a complaint with the stock app.

Journeyman

i use bank of america web...but i haven't downloaded an application.  is this the same thing?  sorry, i am new to this...  also, how do i download and get that application you are referring to?

thanks for your help.

Journeyman

No, that wouldn't be the same thing so that shouldn't be the cause of your problem.

To get Handcent go to the market and do a search for Handcent SMS. Its a free download.

Journeyman

well i downloaded handcent and it's horribly slow....when i type words, it can't keep up.  is this normal?

Journeyman

Its a good idea to reboot the phone after downloading new apps. Rebooting might help. Also you might want to check that you downloaded the newest version. You can check for updates by going to the market and clicking on my downloads and if there's a newer version it would say there's an update available next to the app. I can't really compare if Handcent has more lag since I never really used the stock app (I downloaded Handcent as soon as I bought the phone because I heard about the stock app draining the battery, that problem was fixed with a firmware upgrade but I really liked Handcent and stuck with it). I'm a fast texter so I do experience lag sometimes, but it might also depend on which keyboard you use. I prefer the compact QWERTY. I think rotating the phone causes more lag and the full keyboard is too small in my opinion.

Journeyman

yeh, thanks for all your help, but unfortunately it looks like handcent didn't fix the thread problems...  looks like i'm heading back to best buy.  man, i am so bummed about all this hassle.

Journeyman

You could try hard resetting your phone back to factory settings, most of the time thats all tech support does anyway. Just make sure your contacts are all backed up as "google" contacts

Journeyman

ok...here's the thing...i have replaced the phone with best buy, i have hard reset the phone and hand entered all my contacts, and i have taken the phone to the sprint store - which pissed me off to no end with their response....which was "this is your problem, not something we did, but an application or setting you did."  fyi - i have not downloaded any app - the phone is 6 days old.  also, i am using 'factory settings.'  anyhow, i'm about to cancel my account with sprint because ADVANCED tech support called me back today and said they know nothing about my issue and think that i need to replace the phone AGAIN - even though i have done this already, 2 days after my original purchase.  they said it is 'a bad batch of phones purchased by best buy.'

WHO BUYS THIS?  please someone help me.

dave

Journeyman

I can't really comment on the "bad batch" theory because I ordered mine online through Sprint back in Oct/Nov.

But I do have one more thought, when you tried using Handcent did you clear out those messed up threads first? If not, that could be why the problem was still there. I would suggest doing a hard reset to clear out whatever the bug may be from and then installing Handcent before receiving any texts. (Or Chomp SMS is another text app some people use if you don't like Handcent). If you do try using a different text app to try to solve the problem, then you also will need to disable notifications in the stock app or you will get them from both apps everytime you receive a text).

I know these issues are frustrating (I'm still dealing with the picture mail problem) but we're supposed to get the android 2.1 upgrade soon, possibly in April and that will hopefully fix all of these bugs, so if you can find some workaround until then it might be worth the wait.

Journeyman

yeah, i did clear the threads.  this is just so frustrating, i am really starting to wonder if it is worth it.  and the thing is, i don't want another phone - this is the only phone through sprint that i like.  i have one more idea and then i'm heading out to best buy for my 3rd and final HTC Hero.  i was thinking that my SD card had something on it that was creating these problems in my phone.  so i was thinking about doing another hard reset....but do you know how i can import my contacts back into my phone after doing this?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat