cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no 2.1 update till after EVO released!?

Journeyman

no 2.1 update till after EVO released!?

i was told today by tech support, that the 2.1 update for hero/moment will not be available until AFTER THE EVO IS RELEASED because it would take away from the excitement of the EVO....   

sprint really does care....... about new customers, not current ones!

78 REPLIES 78
Journeyman

Re: no 2.1 update till after EVO released!?

I think I have post around here somewhere that says that about a month ago.. maybe it was over at XDA.. can't remember.

But you're exactly right.

If they release the update before the Evo, it will hurt Evo sales..  Less people will desire a new device just because it has 2.1 on it. They'll already have one.

I work in Sales, the logic is sound.

Sprint however isn't in a financial position to make such a selfish move, but they'll do it out of greed. If they were number one then it would make sense.

Sprint has no concern for it's current customer base. They only make money off of NEW plans.

Journeyman

that would only work for new customers, or those at or close enough to do the upgrade, a lot of users aren't gonna wanna pay full price just to get the evo with 2.1

Journeyman

I don't know it seems Kind of Shady to me.. I do believe how ever that the release date of the 2.1 is scheduled for this month, and the EVO is scheduled to release next month. If this thread was true they would have to push 2.1 till next month and deal with all of the dropped contracts because of this move. I apologize for all the run on sentences.

Journeyman

I would like to apologize for my unnecessarily strong language.

Message was edited by: deinesh

Journeyman

Wasn't that strong of language.

Message was edited by: budgetboy1

Journeyman

Sadly enough (at least for current Hero owners), I am 99% sure that every point in the OP's post is right on the money. I do not believe the 2.1 update will come til the EVO is released. I am also in 100% agreement that Sprint cares nothing for current customers. I swear, it looks like the hundreds of thousands of post paid customers leaving EVERY quarter would open some of those pampered Sprint execs eyes.......but I guess they are too stupid to see what is going on. Maybe when Tmobile takes the number 3 position someone in  Sprint's ivory tower will take notice.

Journeyman

troyboytn1972 wrote:

I am also in 100% agreement that Sprint cares nothing for current customers

I dunno, giving me a full upgrade every 12 months makes me feel a lot more appreciated than all my friends with iPhones feel they're appreciated by AT&T

Journeyman

I have to say such a statement does not surprise me, whether or not it's Sprint's confirmed stance who knows but, it's certainly in line with the picture that's forming. I hope for the sake of Sprint's credibility and those who have been defending them, claiming the additional time has been to remove the bugs...the bugs had better be out, especially if Sprint holds out until EVO release to give Hero and Moment 2.1. I will say this is not the right time, economically, to play down the current customer for the potential customer. 8 weeks left to make good on your "timeframe" Sprint 1H2010, what's it gonna be?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Eh. I'm not too worried about when it comes out. Actually, I could care less. My Hero is doing just fine right now.

Journeyman

sdialect31 wrote:

I have to say such a statement does not surprise me, whether or not it's Sprint's confirmed stance who knows but, it's certainly in line with the picture that's forming. I hope for the sake of Sprint's credibility and those who have been defending them, claiming the additional time has been to remove the bugs...the bugs had better be out, especially if Sprint holds out until EVO release to give Hero and Moment 2.1. I will say this is not the right time, economically, to play down the current customer for the potential customer. 8 weeks left to make good on your "timeframe" Sprint 1H2010, what's it gonna be?

If that's the case (waiting till the EVO) that would tell me that Sprint cares nothing about it's current customer base.  First, knowing there is problems/bugs with the Hero in it's current configuration, second, figure that 95% of the Hero owners are in a contract and probably wouldn't be buying an EVO anyway, and last, the lack of support for even the current hardware issues (bluetooth, screen dust, dead pixels, end key paint, and what ever else I missed) that plague us Hero owners!!!!

Actually, if you go by Sprint's adjusted time table that was still relevant as of their 'tweet' on April 13th, it's "still early 2Q" 2010.  That gives them less than two weeks.  As far as I'm concerned, the 1H2010 doesn't apply anymore.  Now, I don't want people who "know software development" to come on here and start bashing my post because if you really know software development (yes it takes time and Sprint/HTC have had plenty time) then you also know that you don't give a date, then adjust your date to an earlier date unless you absolutely know you can hit it.  Going back on the date is out of the question at this point!!!!

The SDK for Eclair (2.0) has been released since the end of October 2009.  2.1 really isn't that much of a jump otherwise it would've been 3.0.  So, essentially, HTC/Sprint have had 6+ months to get Sense and Android 2.x  working on their hardware.......

Journeyman

If you do purchase the EVO what makes you think that Sprint/HTC will update it any faster than the Hero? All of us Hero owners should have learned their lesson with Sprint/HTC. My contract is up on 01 June and I am not going to roll the dice and burned again by this. If they are thinking that by holding back the Hero update will make me jump to the EVO then they are way off. This strategy will backfire and I will jump to Verizon or another company. If the issue is the sense UI then I will also steer clear of HTC phones. I would rather have stock Android with updates than sense without updates.  I assume that I will get the standard "why do that because Sprint is cheaper" replies but sometimes it is not about a few bucks.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat