cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no 2.1 update till after EVO released!?

Journeyman

Re: no 2.1 update till after EVO released!?

I agree they are not bug free, but they (XDA developers) seem to be squashing bugs faster than HTC or Sprint.....

and a comment on your other post about 2.1 being released in Feburary.....while, I'm pretty sure that's correct, the SDK for 2.x was released last October.  Let's not kid ourselves about the development time HTC and Sprint have had here.........

Journeyman

jj_nags wrote:

I agree they are not bug free, but they (XDA developers) seem to be squashing bugs faster than HTC or Sprint.....

and a comment on your other post about 2.1 being released in Feburary.....while, I'm pretty sure that's correct, the SDK for 2.x was released last October.  Let's not kid ourselves about the development time HTC and Sprint have had here.........

They're basically fixing bugs by replacing the built-in packages with packages obtained from old ROMs or similar packages pulled from different phones.

Journeyman

I think a lot of you are confusing sales principles here.

Let's say sprint was a tire manufacturer. Obviously it might not be in their best interest to make a tire that never needs replacing, but there's no "conspiracy" there, and 90% of the industries in the world are in the same boat. It would however be in their best interest to release a longer lasting tire if the competition does.

What many of you are suggesting only stacks up as reasonable on a very elementary, very short term, sense.

Sprint Tire Co could take the approach of releasing a really crappy line of tires, and then be flaky on the warrentty, thus creating a batch of people who do indeed need to purchase new tires. However, why in the world would that group of people buy Sprint tires again?

Sprint doesn't operate in a vacuum. They don't have a monopoly. They have competition, and the competiion hasn't delivered a 1.5 update either. Any argument about "Sprint is slacking so we buy the Evo" applies just as well to Verizon, and anyone else, about any phone being replaced by the next best phone.

Journeyman

troyboytn1972  wrote:

I  am also in 100% agreement that Sprint cares nothing for current  customers

I dunno, giving me a full upgrade every 12 months makes me  feel a lot more appreciated than all my friends with iPhones feel  they're appreciated by AT&T

:   jonnythan518 I agree totally! I mean we are talking about software that they are not going to release till they feel too. It's there software to release when they feel like it. It's a conspiracy with all Hero, Moments owners lol. Yes I would love the software I have come close to loosing my patience now. But in the end Sprint Gives us so much more to look at a piece of software that we don't even know if It's Sprint Or Htc problem with releasing. And please don't tell me you know for a fact its all Sprint. You know how many Software designers that came out of the woodwork lately to tell us how they know that it don't take this long for them to release? Please if I hear one more I am a software engineer of designer one more time im going to puke. Your not so stop saying that you are cause your perception in life is out of realm . I cant say enough good thinks about Sprint for the money I save. Cause I don't make a lot of money like all you SOFTWARE ENGINEERS!!! And the 12 Months early then anyone. And All the extra Perks. Sprint cant be Making all that much money off us. Hell i can care less if the update comes now cause I m getting the EVO with my 12 month upgrade haha.

Journeyman

No, I'm confusing Sprint for a company that gives a rip about it's current customer base.

I wouldn't have an issue with waiting for 2.1 if all the features that were sold to me as part of my phone actually worked, but they don't!!!  Now, Sprint is telling me the fix is in the next version of the software, not a patch.  If that's the case, you better have a fix for me sooner than later.  Then they give me the most vague time table ever and then, when they update their own time table, they don't even hit it (early 2Q 2010 IS April, May = mid 2Q 2010 any other rational is just to buy an extra couple of weeks).

To top it off, there is poor hardware quality too and now they're either ignoring the problem or putting a band-aid on it instead of having a real fix.  I guess that's what I get for buying an expensive phone instead of just going for the free one......

Journeyman

i was told today by tech support,  that the 2.1 update for hero/moment will not be available until AFTER  THE EVO IS RELEASED because it would take away from the excitement of  the EVO....  

sprint  really does care....... about new customers, not current ones!

How many believe you? All call that a lie that you made up out of frustration! I really cant imagine Sprint saying that. Ha Ha nice try.

Journeyman

egnin1 wrote:

i was told today by tech support,  that the 2.1 update for hero/moment will not be available until AFTER  THE EVO IS RELEASED because it would take away from the excitement of  the EVO....

sprint  really does care....... about new customers, not current ones!

How many believe you? All call that a lie that you made up out of frustration! I really cant imagine Sprint saying that. Ha Ha nice try.

Well, even if that happened, that doesn't make it true. I mean really, why does it seem like Sprint CS never knows what they are talking about, unless they say something that confirms some bizarre sky is falling rumor, then they're speaking the Gospel truth, straight from the top?

It could very well come after the EVO, but sprint has released many phones since the Hero. Why wouldn't they?

It really is THIS simple. Until a reasonable time after the Eris is updated, since it's virtually the exact same phone on a network with the most "clout" you just can't say anything about Sprint's clout, or them "waiting" or anything.

That argument only makes sense if you think Sprint got every other company to hold off for the Evo too, and if you think that, I've got a snake that produces an oil that cures all diseases that I'd love to sell you.

Message was edited by: vita10gy

Journeyman

Also, at the risk of being accused of being a sprint fanboy, or employee for that matter, again I think it's important to add that as far as the "not caring about current customers" thing goes. Sprint's 12 month upgrade policy is pretty much the only thing I can think of from any of my providers of anything.

Charter didn't give me anything. Directv doesn't offer anything.

Companies care more about getting customers than their current customers. That's an almost universal truth. It's unfair to pin that on Sprint when it's true of everyone, and especially since it's not nessisarily true of sprint.

The only time these companies care about current customers is when they're leaving.

Journeyman

i did not start this post with the intention of winning friends and influencing people.  I simply found out some information that i thought others would find pertinent.  I decided to share this information b/c there has been a lot of confusion, and i was very disappointed that sprint would withhold the update. 

For those of you, who dont understand, or believe this information.  All i can simply say is,"wait and see".  I hope that my source is wrong.  I would love to have 2.1 sooner, but all we can do "wait and see".

Journeyman

Post hoc ergo propter hoc?

Let's say it comes after the EVO. That doesn't mean they waited for the EVO. Those are 2 very different things.

Journeyman

Well I called to cancel my service because of the delay, they talked me into staying and gave me a $25.00 credit on my bill and $5.00 credit on my bill for a year. after thinking about it, maybe i should have just cancelled. I was told by a friend who works for sprint that they posted a nice profit last quarter and bragged about it. if enough people call and demand that same credit Sprint will loose enough money, that they will be forced to bring the 2.1 out, because the money they will make on selling the new evo, will be offset by the money they loose in credits.

Journeyman

Gee. I think maybe we should all go to our neighborhood Sprint store and start picketing. That might get them to hand me my 2.1 update faster.

Seriously, I think Sprint will get the update out when it has been vetted and it passes inspection. Sprint already knows its customers are inpatient. I may question the competence of the development team with Sprint or HTC, but I really doubt that they are withholding an upgrade for marketing purposes.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat