cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no 2.1 update till after EVO released!?

Journeyman

Re: no 2.1 update till after EVO released!?

I have updated a friends Hero to 2.1 I will voucher it has a really nice UI although a few things I personally dont care for. I have not updated my Hero only because I know Sprint will pull through (eventually). I have friends that work for sprint and getting information from them is impossible, they kinda give you that look of if I tell you I gotta kill you. Really come on just tell people what is going on, we arent children...OK some are but the rest of us are educated paying customers who deserve answers. Dan Hesse seems like a reasonable person if he wants to take business away from Steve Jobs keep your customers informed. I know 2 people already who had heros and went to the iphone....I am sure their are many more people heading that way.

Journeyman

I have a different take on this. What if they are holding off because if they roll out 2.1 and there are problems that will really have a more negative impact on EVO sales? If they wait until after the EVO is out and they screw up, less negative impact on sales.

Journeyman

You could be so Right 2.2 is in the Pipeline to fix the Bugs found in 2.1

Sprint should try to ship the EVO with 2.2

Journeyman

I think Sprint's rollout of CL14 tells us that if the update comes out, it will be download-only first, then it will be installed onto new devices from then on.  If a customer is looking at phones in June (Which now looks like the new target month), it's a simple up-sell.  You can buy the HTC Hero or Samsung Moment which doesn't act as a Wi-Fi hotspot, doesn't support 4G, has smaller display sizes, AND doesn't have 2.1 installed (you can download it at home), OR you can buy the Evo which has all of these out of the box.

Remember, most people on the Sprint boards are phone enthusiasts.  We're not the TYPICAL customer... Most people don't update phones in any manner other than Over The Air (even IF they do that) out of general fear of doing things wrong; the kind of customer that takes what a salesperson says at face value and doesn't ask the questions we're not afraid to ask.  Most people just want the phone with the least out-of-box involvement and don't care.  Holding back 2.1's release wouldn't make the Evo more attractive than the current models if Evo has the 2.1 release preloaded and the others don't.

If the release comes out in June, it will be download-only until the Manufacturer loaded Hero and Moment 2.1 phones replace the "cupcake" stock at stores.  Refreshing stock isn't an "overnight" undertaking... It takes time for HTC/Samsung to produce these models fresh from the factory floor (alliteration not intended) once Sprint is done applying hammers and electrodes to the ROM they're testing.  When the updated phones come out and are sold next to the Evo, THEN you can say something like this, but even with that, the Wi-Fi hotspot and 4G functionality and form factor still justifies the Evo's higher pricetag.

Besides, even with the added cities... 80% of America will not be able to use the 4G functionality until it spreads away from the rollout cities.  Even with New York and Los Angeles added to the menu, we're talking the core of the city, NOT the entire metro area.  (Look at Las Vegas' coverage.  It would be easier to cover their metro area than LA or NY, but the only suburb covered in 4G is Henderson.  2/3rd's of the metro area can't use their phone's 4G service at their home if they bought an Evo and commute to Vegas to work.)  Telling customers to wait until the rollout hits them is a weak sales strategy compared to a 3G phone that 100% delivers what it's capable of ...say it with me... out of the box.  Comparing the Evo to the 3G counterparts is still very much apples and oranges, and would be a foolish tactic to shovel onto new customers who can't use the advertised features until the last two months of their contract service (and that's still an optimistic guess.)

Journeyman

O.K. I have read through most of the posts here and I am not saying that there is nothing wrong with Hero.  I will also say that I am anxiously awaiting the 2.1 upgrade (the whole moving the release date thing is annoying).  But, I guess I am not quite as techno-snobby as many members of the group so I have not decided to hate my Hero (or Sprint, or HTC) for it's shortcomings.  It actually does what I expected it to do when I bought it on it's release date.  It is better than my Windows based Mogul and many of the newer smartphones out there.  Like the car I bought this year, there was something better out there the moment I drove it off the lot and unlike the Hero there is no chance of an upgrade.  I really do hope that the upgrade, when it becomes available, will be great, but I expect there will be bugs. I don't know any smartphone that does not have bugs.  If you know of one I suggest you go to it now and stop whining about the pretty decent smartphone we bought.  I will stay with Sprint.  If you don't want to stay with Sprint do us a favor and go to another company where you will pay more money.  It's a free country.  Cheers!

Journeyman

Now we can finally put that false rumor to rest:

http://shop.sprint.com/en/software_downloads/pda_smartphone/htc_hero.shtml

Journeyman

i made this post after i was told by tech support that they would not release 2.1 till after the EVO dropped, and i was VERY upset.  Now sprint has proved me wrong!, and i am ever so thankful.

i could nit-pick 2.1 apart because there are a couple things i liked better about 1.5, but i got 2.1 on my moment and i'm as happy as a 5-year old on christmas.

thank you sprint for releasing 2.1 before the EVO dropped ( i would not have done it because it will hurt evo sales ), but you have shown that sprint does really care about getting us updates, and again, i apologize for spreading this rumor

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat