cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no 2.1 update till after EVO released!?

Journeyman

Re: no 2.1 update till after EVO released!?

the disappointing thing is, android 2.1 is ready,  and we are having probs with our phones NOW!  but they will not release 2.1 because they are too worried about  getting new customers with the EVO

NEWSFLASH!      it is cheaper to retain current customers than it is to BUY new ones with advertisements  and big discounts on new phones.

NEWSFLASH!    it is not possible to recreate the hype of the iphone, (that is what everyone is trying to do with the EVO).   the thing that made the iphone so amazing  was that is was the 1st full touch screen.     there is nothing groundbreaking about the EVO.   I love it, i want it, but i wont drop 5 or 6 hundred dollars for it.   its just a hero with a big screen and faster processor

Journeyman

Re: no 2.1 update till after EVO released!?

coronadoug1 wrote:

If you do purchase the EVO what makes you think that Sprint/HTC will update it any faster than the Hero? All of us Hero owners should have learned their lesson with Sprint/HTC. My contract is up on 01 June and I am not going to roll the dice and burned again by this. If they are thinking that by holding back the Hero update will make me jump to the EVO then they are way off. This strategy will backfire and I will jump to Verizon or another company. If the issue is the sense UI then I will also steer clear of HTC phones. I would rather have stock Android with updates than sense without updates.  I assume that I will get the standard "why do that because Sprint is cheaper" replies but sometimes it is not about a few bucks.

100% agreed!

Wizard

Re: no 2.1 update till after EVO released!?

The conspiracy theories promulgated in this thread and elsewhere MIGHT make some sense...IF all the other carriers had already upgraded all of their Android 1.5 and 1.6 phones to 2.0 or 2.1.  Or maybe someone can explain why, for example,   Verizon would be waiting for the EVO to be released on Sprint before upgrading a Motorola phone...and why they just released one about a month ago with 1.6 instead of 2.1?

Message was edited by: wasbakntyme

Journeyman

Re: no 2.1 update till after EVO released!?

Yes the Sprint/EVO release could very well be a "theory" but the "HTC sense" may have more credibility..

http://www.droid-life.com/2010/04/26/will-the-droid-incredible-ever-see-2-2-other-updates/

Message was edited by: coronadoug1

Journeyman

Re: no 2.1 update till after EVO released!?

Yes, as much as I like the experience of the Sense UI, the Hero may be the last phone I ever buy with it loaded on the phone.  It's just too long to wait for an update when you consider how fast technology moves and the apps and functionality we're not able to get......

Wizard

Re: no 2.1 update till after EVO released!?

coronadoug1 wrote:

Yes the Sprint/EVO release could very well be a "theory" but the "HTC sense" may have more credibility..

http://www.droid-life.com/2010/04/26/will-the-droid-incredible-ever-see-2-2-other-updates/

Message was edited by: coronadoug1

Again, any theory only stands up if most, if not all, of the devices that do not fall within your hypothesis have already been upgraded.  How many non-HTC (I hesitate to call them non-Sense) phones have been upgraded from 1.x to 2.x?

Journeyman

Re: no 2.1 update till after EVO released!?

wasbakntyme wrote:

coronadoug1 wrote:

Yes the Sprint/EVO release could very well be a "theory" but the "HTC sense" may have more credibility..

http://www.droid-life.com/2010/04/26/will-the-droid-incredible-ever-see-2-2-other-updates/

Message was edited by: coronadoug1

Again, any theory only stands up if most, if not all, of the devices that do not fall within your hypothesis have already been upgraded.  How many non-HTC (I hesitate to call them non-Sense) phones have been upgraded from 1.x to 2.x?

If that's you're argument, then why is it possible that the people over on XDA forums are cranking out ROMs with 2.x like crazy?!?!  Not only do they have a vanilla 2.x ROM, they have ones with the Sense UI and they're even adding their own features.

I guess my point is, don't release something you can't fully support and upgrade (since upgrades ARE a selling feature to consumers).....

Wizard

Re: no 2.1 update till after EVO released!?

The people at XDA and similar forums are releasing "leaked" versions of the not-ready-for-general-release HTC software.  Maybe one clue as to why they are not ready is the disclaimer usually placed in the posts containing the software on XDA...denying any responsibility if you brick your phone.  You can also find many posts there from users who have had problems installing or using the versions available at XDA etc, and even some from users who have reverted to the official software due to problems.  HTC and Sprint, or any other manufacturer/carrier combination, cannot release an update until they are comfortable supporting the software and the upgrade procedure for the entire spectrum of customers, from the typically tech-savvy XDA habituant to the tech-averse.  I did not say until it is bug free, but until they are comfortable supporting it and the projected costs in support manpower and equipment replacement.

Journeyman

Re: no 2.1 update till after EVO released!?

I agree. Now I'm not as up to date as most people here. I dont even know what EVO is, but one thing I do know is that if I purchase a phone, I expect it to work. And no one will ever compete with the iphone because its the first of its kind. A pioneer if you will. Also, I understand that its a very complicated process and its not just plug and play, but if you claim to be better because your the FIRST 4g network, then you need to back up your product. Verizon has the 2.1 already. At this rate, Tmobile will top Sprint. I read somwhere that its because Google is holding back the 2.1 upgrade. We all know times are tough on all of us. The last thing your customers are gonna is buy a new phone when you just pulled the sticker off of your Moment. However, I do agree that this is a sales logic. I understand it, but dont agree with it. At this rate, Sprint will wind up in the same predicament Nextel did and reach saturation because you choose not to keep your CURRENT customers enticed. Metro PCS is 40 bucks a month. I came to Sprint from Metro because they had more to offer. Because I was a new customer, i received all kinds of promotions. I'm not asking for a promo, I'm asking to get the job done if you dont want me to go get a Droid from Verizon. Sprint, dont go from cookies to crumbs.

Journeyman

Re: no 2.1 update till after EVO released!?

jj_nags wrote:

wasbakntyme wrote:

coronadoug1 wrote:

Yes the Sprint/EVO release could very well be a "theory" but the "HTC sense" may have more credibility..

http://www.droid-life.com/2010/04/26/will-the-droid-incredible-ever-see-2-2-other-updates/

Message was edited by: coronadoug1

Again, any theory only stands up if most, if not all, of the devices that do not fall within your hypothesis have already been upgraded.  How many non-HTC (I hesitate to call them non-Sense) phones have been upgraded from 1.x to 2.x?

If that's you're argument, then why is it possible that the people over on XDA forums are cranking out ROMs with 2.x like crazy?!?!  Not only do they have a vanilla 2.x ROM, they have ones with the Sense UI and they're even adding their own features.

I guess my point is, don't release something you can't fully support and upgrade (since upgrades ARE a selling feature to consumers).....

First they used an Eris internal test ROM that was leaked, and now they're using a Sprint Hero internal test ROM that was leaked.

Neither is finished and none of the ROMs are bug-free.

Journeyman

Re: no 2.1 update till after EVO released!?

rayje0423 wrote:

I agree. Now I'm not as up to date as most people here. I dont even know what EVO is, but one thing I do know is that if I purchase a phone, I expect it to work. And no one will ever compete with the iphone because its the first of its kind. A pioneer if you will. Also, I understand that its a very complicated process and its not just plug and play, but if you claim to be better because your the FIRST 4g network, then you need to back up your product. Verizon has the 2.1 already. At this rate, Tmobile will top Sprint. I read somwhere that its because Google is holding back the 2.1 upgrade. We all know times are tough on all of us. The last thing your customers are gonna is buy a new phone when you just pulled the sticker off of your Moment. However, I do agree that this is a sales logic. I understand it, but dont agree with it. At this rate, Sprint will wind up in the same predicament Nextel did and reach saturation because you choose not to keep your CURRENT customers enticed. Metro PCS is 40 bucks a month. I came to Sprint from Metro because they had more to offer. Because I was a new customer, i received all kinds of promotions. I'm not asking for a promo, I'm asking to get the job done if you dont want me to go get a Droid from Verizon. Sprint, dont go from cookies to crumbs.

Google fully released 2.1 and all its source back in.... Februrary, I think? Around the time the Nexus One launched, anyway.

Journeyman

Re: no 2.1 update till after EVO released!?

"...and none of the ROMs are bug-free."

Frankly, I don't imagine any ROM is bug free. The Hero 1.5 ROM certainly was not.

Message was edited by: dbkerr - changed "and" to "any"

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat