Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Another discovered HTC Hero problem ...!!!"

Highlighted
Journeyman

"Another discovered HTC Hero problem ...!!!"

Ok, HTC...

I've got a gripe about the bluetooths software configuration that seems to have been "Overlooked by your programmers". I use my bluetooth head set 80% of the time. Calling out on my phone works great... I select the number i want to call, and the phone automatically gets redirected to my head set. Sounds good right? Well, if i choose to answer my calls thru the screens "Answer" icon, Guess what?  The phone doesn't redirect the call to the head set. Its sooo anoying that i must press the menu button in order to redirect the call to my head set. It seems i have to answer with the bluetooths answer button in order to work properly.

If the phone Knows that the blue tooth is "on", why not redirect? Makes sense doesn't it?

Message was edited by: zeusautomotive

Tags (2)
15 REPLIES 15
Journeyman PGR
Journeyman

Re: "Another discovered HTC Hero problem ...!!!"

I've noticed that too, but while you feel it's a problem, I think it's a handy advantage. I've also read in several threads that HTC did that on purpose and I'll also say that it's how some of my past phones worked too. The idea is if you want to take the call via your Bluetooth device, you answer the call with your Bluetooth device. If you want to take the call via your handset, you answer the call via your handset. That's called options and options are a good thing in my book.

A good example of why I like these options is I have a built-in Bluetooth hands-free device in my car which interfaces with my car stereo. When I'm in traffic I simply push a button on my dashboard to answer an incoming call and the music shuts off and is replaced by the caller's voice. But if I'm not in traffic at the moment, I prefer to use my handset instead of talk at my car stereo and I can do that by simply answering the call with my handset.

I also use a Bluetooth earpiece when I'm at work, but I typically keep it in a shirt pocket instead of plugged into the side of my head. There are times when I answer with the Bluetooth device and times when I answer with the handset and choosing one or the other is simply a matter of answering the call with the device I want to use.

The bottom line is I think your "problem" is actually a distinct advantage and I'll argue against any attempt to "fix" it. You can fix your problem by simply answering the phone with the device you want to use, and to be a Pete who's frank, I can't imagine why someone would answer a call from the phone if they want to take the call via a Bluetooth device in the first place.

Pete

Journeyman

I don't know if this is just HTC or other phones.I've had the tilt and fuze on ATT as well as the the tilt predecessor they all did that.

Journeyman

I agree with PGR. Why would you answer the call by hitting the button on the phone if you have bluetooth. That's the whole idea of bluetooth.

I also like the options that PGR states.

Journeyman

I agree with PGR too.

I'm not one of those people that likes to eat, drink and sleep with the BT headset on. I know there are many out there that do. It's kind of like the modern day tech version of the mullet to me though.

But there are times that I have to wear it while on a long call or driving etc.. As soon as I'm off, the ear piece is on the desk or in the pocket. When my phone rings I don't want to have to fumble and bumble trying to get the headset on. Especially since my phone only gives me 2 rings to answer, even though it rang 4-5 times on the callers side. I like the option to just answer the phone if I'm in a pertinent situation.

Seems only natural that if the headset is on anyway, and the phone is in a purse, bag, pocket or desk drawer that you'd just hit the answer button sticking out of the side of your head.

Journeyman

i will take the side of the OP for two reasons...  1 - i had the same initial discomfort with the system...  in particular, it is antisymmetric - and that can be confusing...  2 - to have OPTIONS would be to allow the user the ability to choose...  the choice i am referring to here would be a simple menu-item that would set the defaults in whatever configuration you chose...

let me explain - have you ever tried to dial out on the phone and then realized that the headset (that is in-your-pocket) is the device that has the ability to talk ?  hello ?!?!  i used the handset to dial, i should be using the handset to speak - correct ?  if i had wanted to use the headset to speak, then i should have been using the voice dialing system and activated it totally with my headset...  yeah-yeah, argue with me if you want, but the truth is that the device is antisymettric (it only chooses the bt on outbound, not inbound).  having a menu-option with the ability to direct both inbound and outbound to either bt or not (obviously depending upon whether it is paired atm) would be the correct answer...  and trust me - not everyone would leave it at the default position that it currently is set for...  i can see why it is useful/practical to do it the way that it was chosen, but it means that the phone is training the user (must-hit-button to answer, ignore-button to dial) rather than the user training the phone...

thosere my 2cents - altho calling it a problem (rather than a lack-of-options) might be a little extreme...  have fun, h.

Journeyman

I got to admit, i do understand why the phone is programmed this way. However...! Like your point of view "luvdogs". Couldn't put it any better myself.

Its alot like owning a cat vs. a dog. "Cat owners are trained by the cat." vs. Dogs will do things the way the owner likes. LOL! No pun intended.

Just would be a nice touch if an added "Bluetooth Answer Icon" were added to the menu i think.

PS....Ok Ok maybe i take back that its a problem. More like a lack of options like you said.  Thanks

Message was edited by: zeusautomotive

Journeyman

>>  "Cat owners are trained by the cat." vs. Dogs will do things the way the owner likes. LOL! No pun intended.

Don't worry, none included.

Journeyman

roflmao...  its all good - cats have their place, running for their lives from dogs...  lol.

Journeyman PGR
Journeyman

"Cat owners are trained by the cat." vs. Dogs will do things the way the owner likes.

It's quite apparent that you've never owned an Irish Wolf Hound.

Pete

Journeyman

I agree with luv dogs.  If something is an option, you should have the option to choose between the options.  Wait, I think I just confused myself.  LOL

Journeyman

I actually hated the fact I couldntdo this with my HTC mougal.  Bluetooth is the only thing on this phone I havent had a problem with

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat