cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fingerprint Perfection Defined With the HTC One A9 - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Fingerprint Perfection Defined With the HTC One A9 - Sprint Product Ambassadors

So, up until now I have had yet to experience finger print scanning on a smartphone.  I will say, that with just a little exposure thus far, I doubt I could ever go back (to other lock methods).  If you are interested in a new smartphone equipped with nice clean and responsive finger print security, the HTC One A9 might just be the one you have been looking for.  Here’s my take on it:

Biometric scanning to me is nothing new.  I started my carrier in theme parks and the modern method to ensure a ticket doesn’t migrate away from owner is binding it to a digital biometric capture (fingerprint). That isn’t to say the whole fingerprint is captured at the time when you walk through the door but enough unique indicators are mapped to make sure things match.  My experience up until now was a bit sour. Countless hours were spent troubleshooting the hardware sensors, engineering the best method for capture and even then the process was slow, tedious and not an exact science. I guess I understood why this was important but from a service provider standpoint it just wasn’t swift (granted this was about 5 years ago).

That in mind, I was scared to death at the thought of locking my phone with such a method.  I mean just what I wanted to deal with, scan… re-scan, make sure my finger is straight, and rescan. ***Blah***

Well, I’m delighted to say, times have changed, technology has gotten better and never have I been more impressed with the finger print scanner like HTC One A9 offers. Basically it doesn’t just capture one angle of your thumb (or finger) but several angles.  The redundancy makes for a swift response and it’s practically effortless each and every time. 

One important trick that I literally just learned, is that you are not just limited to one finger (like it coaches you during device setup).  To add up to 5 total finger prints, go back to your settings screen, “Fingerprint Scanner” and “Add fingerprint”.  Repeat the procedure as you did prior and you’ll be set on multiple digits.  Finally, I can unlock my phone right handed or south paw.  Now that’s much better!

Settings.jpgAdd.jpgThree.jpg

All and all I couldn’t be happier with how well finger print security works.  It gives me extra peace of mind and I need that. I can only imagine how many apps could start building on this technology.  With that in mind, HTC thankfully won’t leave me nervously scared that a paper-cut will lock me out of my device using my one assigned finger.

It should also be know that you can use an existing unlock code, password or pattern as a backup to your finger prints.  Just a bit more comforting in case an epidemic of paper cuts become an issue.  

-Rob Ignatowicz

Sprint Product Ambassador

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.