cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors� HTC One A9: First impressions

Sprint Product Ambassador

Cannot be more excited than being selected to be a Product Ambassador for this HTC One A9.  I truly think this device will be able to save HTC, a phone maker that I became to love in the early days of smart phones.

There have posts that have talked about the specifications of the A9, hence I just want to outline the good and bad things that have struck me after the first week using it.

Here are the things that I have been impressed with the A9:  

1. Taken out of the box is a sleek thin design with a flat metal back casing.   It is beautifully built and very comfortable to hold it.  In fact, it is so nice that my wife who has been thinking about upgrading the iPhone 5 had to say “can I have it instead” when she held it the first time. Below are the photos of the HTC One A9 (on right) vs. the HTC One M9 (on left)

https://sprintspace.corp.sprint.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-693407-87306/20151206_215622...20151206_215622.jpg

https://sprintspace.corp.sprint.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-693407-87307/20151206_215644...20151206_215644.jpg

20151206_215759.jpghttps://sprintspace.corp.sprint.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-693407-87308/20151206_215759...
  2. The first thing that came to my mind is, well this thing has an external memory card. I think this feature is one of the best selling point that Android phone manufacturers should stick to in order to claim that superior advantage.  Do not know if it is Marshmellow or HTC but the phone content is automatically encrypted and you need to enter your password to decrypt at each boot up.  I may need to dwell deeper into the encryption to see what is being secured here, but obviously it can only be better compared to none.
  3. The phone screen is sharp and crisp.  I have not been able to really test out how does the screen looks like under the bright sun as claimed, but will try.
  4. Obviously, HTC carries the super sound quality of the M8, E8 and M9 over to the A9.  The sound came through really well.  The power, however, is a bit lower than the M9 (maybe because of the smaller casing).
  5. The finger scanning on the A9 is better than my previous Android phone. It is so good that I now set my screen time out or power button to immediately returns to security lock mode.  All I need to do is placing my finger on the button to unlock.
  6. The biggest improvement of all is the camera which will deserve a separate write up. Yes, the camera is great under both normal and low light condition.  With lots of useful features.
  7. Phone voice quality is great, coupled with Sprint HD voice is better than anything I have used.  Particularly the speaker phone features.
  8. I personally love the Pastorale theme that HTC provides:

Screenshot_20151112-143102.png

Here are a few things that I think HTC can improve on: 

1. With Marshmallow, HTC uses a lot of Marshmallows stock features.  There are a lot less number of widgets available.  For example there used to be many different calendar widgets which were very nicely format.  There is none calendar widgets that I really like on this release.  This is truly personal but hopefully HTC can provide more of the widgets on previous phones.
  2. Battery life is not as good.  I would say for me the A9 is a 1pm phone, where at around 1pm each day I have to recharge the phone.  My previous phones would be ranked as a 3-4pm phones. For my heavy usage of the phone I am always equipped with alternative charging equipment so it is not a big issue 
  3. Need to provide alternative screen capture ability.  Pressing the two buttons is not my favorite approach.

In summary, I have really enjoyed the A9 so far and truly believe HTC has produced a great quality phone at a very competitive pricing and I would strongly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a new phone.  Like I said above, I hope this is the phone that will save HTC. Keep it up!

Bye for now.

Your Sprint Product Ambassador*

Hung Bui

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.