cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC A9 Can't set notification sound in default messaging App?

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

HTC A9 Can't set notification sound in default messaging App?

In the default messaging app I can see notification sounds I put on the phone, however if I try to select one it reverts back to default after hitting apply. I can choose any of the stock notifications and it works fine. Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it?

I don't have this problem with ringtones, or notifications, just the notifications from the text messaging app.

15 REPLIES 15
GrandMaster

Re: HTC A9 Can't set notification sound in default messaging App?

might just be one of those new release bugs they have to jump on here before to long. for now if its something big for you you can probably just download a 3rd party texting app like handent, gosms or textra and run one of those for now. personally i have always hated the stock texting apps due to their limitations.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I tried one called Messaging. It had the same problem.

GrandMaster

oh that messaging plus deal? i have the HTC One M9..spotted that but have never used it. try textra or gosms...handcent used to be my main go to for quite a few years but recently they have ran into some issues. there are tons of options in there..notification envelope changes/colors so you know who is texting you at a quick glance etc.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

It took a bit but here is the fix.

Go to Settings -> Apps -> scroll down and select Messages. Select Permissions and turn on the permission for Storage.

Found that on another website. This fixed it for me.

GrandMaster

that was a bit of a pain. why wouldnt this already be set up to begin with?

Journeyman

Nice! I was trying to figure this out. Thank!

Sprint Product Ambassador

HTC One A9 comes with Marshmallow that gives users more control over app permissions. That means denying or accepting options when installing/accessing the app for the first time. If Deny is selected, parts of the app may not work or may not work at all.

Example:

When I accessed my voicemail app for the first time on my A9 I received several prompts to deny or accept certain permissions. One of them I selected Deny.... I received a prompt that voicemail will not work unless I enable that option.

Here is a good write up on this. Using App Permissions in Android M

Disclaimer: I am NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped or answered your question, PLEASE mark it as solved.
GrandMaster

thats both cool and bad..i can see this having an impact on people that dont pay much attention when they are selecting things lol. wonder why they included this with M?

Sprint Product Ambassador

Customers asked for this ability....

Disclaimer: I am NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped or answered your question, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Journeyman

I have a question about the music app, hopefully somebody can help me out. So there is none lol other than the Google play music app, if you had an HTC before you know they had a stock music app anyway I can Install that?!??

GrandMaster

go into the play store and search out HTC Music and see what pops up. thats strange though. i use that app daily. odd that they wouldnt keep it on the device. you sure they didnt change up how it looked possibly? every phone has got a music playing app on it. i wouldnt think they would leave us with that google music app only.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat