cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC One : receiving multiple texts ; not sending texts

Highlighted
Journeyman

HTC One : receiving multiple texts ; not sending texts

Hi ... I just purchased an HTC One 2 days ago. The phone is great - EXCEPT - for the text messaging. I continue to get multiple texts from people - both on Sprint and not, and many of my text messages don't go through. I have researched this, updated the software, the system, and the PRL, done a soft reset, done all of the following multiple times ... Sometimes it works, sometimes not, when it does, it's only temporary. I have an Airrave - but that's not it because this happens when I'm away from home. What is the deal? I never had this problem with my Galaxy S2 - but I REALLY don't want the S4. ... Help???!?

11 REPLIES 11
Journeyman

Re: HTC One : receiving multiple texts ; not sending texts

Either your antenna is faulty or its a software issue. Try a factory reset. If I were you, don't do a backup, start fresh.

If that doesn't work, take it back and get another. I hope you have insurance.

GrandMaster

to be honest it sounds like a tower issue..keep in mind that the airave even though its running off your home net STILL needs a connection to a tower..so if said tower is having an issue then its going to pass that down the line to your phone...if you can the next time youre out and about and in an area that has decent reception try to do a profile and PRL update...away from the airave..then retest how things are working once you get home and the phone connects up to it..

are you saying the texts go through and are received fine while on the airave but not when youre out and about?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Hi -- Thank you for your responses.

As for it being the tower - I guess it just seems weird that all my texting capabilities were fine, and started immediately with the new phone.

Second - I did follow your advice and stopped outside of my area to do a PRL and system update. I still can't send texts.

I had to block all incoming texts the other day & switch to WhatsApp or Skype for messaging due to the plethora of incoming duplicate messages.

And - no, they are not sending at home (with Airrave), and all incoming messages come in by the 10s. ... As for out & about -- I guess I'd need to get way out of my city to text it, which I haven't been. I believe, it started the moment I left the Sprint store with my new phone, which happens to be well away from the tower near my house.

I have not 'reset' my Airrave. I still don't think it's that.

Seems like doing a factory reset would just put it back to where it was when I bought it - and the only reason I updated everything was because of this problem (and b/c it seemed like the right thing to do). So, I'm not sure that it was right, coming from the factory, so how would it help to put it back in that state? I'll go ahead & try it anyway, just in case.

I'ts so weird..... And frustrating.  😕

GrandMaster

normally the multi text deal is network related..but one other attempt you can try is to download another messaging app and then try that one..if the problem continues then its for sure network related or even something wrong within your account itself..im still leaning towards network though..and resetting your airave isnt complicated ..its the same as a router..from time to time it will need a reset to refresh how it runs..how long have you had this phone? are you still within your 14 day grace period? and do you happen to know how far away the closest repair store is? if its happening while connected to the airave then it might end up being the phone...but it would be a rare occasion with this one.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I FIXED it!

I still don't really know what was causing it, but here is what I did.

I first re-started the Airrave (it's a 2.5+, btw, in case anyone is interested), that didn't help. Finally I just turned it off. Then I went to a friend's house (around the corner) and did a complete reset. Then I updated the profile and PRL - the software check said it was up to date. I thought I would have to activate it again, but I didn't (weird, but ok). I quickly installed WhatsApp (still at friend's house) because that is what I was using as a messenger for a day or so due to this issue, but couldn't get it to work b/c it checks for a working SMS service and it was not able to find one. (Bad....) Then I went back home, where I realised I hadn't restarted my phone since I'd done all that, and after doing that - everything has worked fine. I left the Airrave off (I can get 1-2 bars in one location sometimes in my house). This morning, I woke up and realised I didn't have reception enough to do anything, so I turned the Airrave back on again (which I was afraid to do, for obvious reasons), but it's back on now and working fine so far. I will check back in a couple days to confirm, but so far --- I'm ecstatic and relieved! I had an appointment at a Sprint store b/c I was going to take both of these in and now it looks like I can cancel that appointment for now. YAY.

Thank you for all your help - And GhostBlond as well!

GrandMaster

you didnt do the paper clip in the back whole trick did you only the restart from that side button? im thinking letting it be shut off for that period of time did the same thing that hitting the small button in the back with a paper clip did..it did a full reset of the airave...just a more long winded version of it lol...take a look at the back of the airave and you'll see what im talking about...which is why i keep a opened paper clip near the airave at all times.

Journeyman

If there is a button on my Airrave, I'll be darned if I can find it. I DO see the reset thing .... I wonder, too, if that's what it was? It was off (unplugged) for 8-10 hours).

Thing is, I could have sworn that this started the moment I left the store, long before I ever got home or anywhere near my Airrave. The whole thing is just weird. Maybe it was just some combination of the two... ?

How frequently do you find you need to reset your Airrave? I'll be keeping a paper clip handy from now on, to be sure (because I can't forever be going 8 hours + without it).

GrandMaster

look on the very back and you'll see a small hole...which is where that paper clip comes into play..you'll see it..i cant remember if it says anything around or near that hole im no where near my airave or i would double check to see if it says anything or not..but all of them had this tiny hole access as a true reset..im running the 2.5 as well. i dont have to reset it very often..just kind of here and there..usually i end up doing it due to the router going all goofy on me..so when i reset my router and modem i go ahead and hit the airave as well so all are running fresh. the airave itself as long as youre pulling the slightest of signals from a tower should work like a charm..my home is the black hole of reception for ALL carriers..the airave was the cure all..well at least for sprint users..att and verizon still get to suffer the reception sucker that is my home lol.

Journeyman

I did see that. Just not a button.
I, too, am in the black hole of cell reception. The Airrave has saved my sanity (what little there is left haha).

I completely forgot that I actually had a complete meltdown of my communicative services last night around 5 pm, which led me to do the full reset on my phone. I could not make ANY calls - if I dialed a number I got a message which said "If you'd like to make a collect call, please press 1 now, or, if you'd like to make a call using a credit card, press 2... " I couldn't even call *3, or *2 ... UNLESS, I unplugged my Airrave, in which case, I could ONLY call *2. ?!?!? ...

In any case, in the end, I love my HTC One now -- I had had the Galaxy S2 for over 2 years. I never reased how seriously I was stuck in the dark ages LOL.

GrandMaster

after owning multiple HTC phones i have come to the conclusion that i cant do with any other..made a attempt with a S4 and it went back pronto..it had issues out the gate and i returned it in less than one full day lol..

Master

ijustwantittowork,

Thanks for the post. Glad to see this was fixed, has the device been more stable since you fixed it?

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat