cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Sprint HTC one a world phone ?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Is the Sprint HTC one a world phone ?

Thanks a bunch "CZECHPLEAZ" for taking the tiem to confirm that the SIM slot will support International GSM frequencies and that it can be unlocked at Customer's request.

This is definitely the right move on Sprint's part and I like many others who travel abroad appreciate this.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I contacted chat on the international site and twice I had agents comment that the HTC One could be used overseas with prepaid SIM.  I contacted customer care via 1-888-211-4727 to inquire about unlocking the phone for an upcoming trip, and the first agent said that the HTC One couldn't be unlocked... only the Iphone or S4. 

I then called back and got another agent who told me the HTC One was already unlocked and all I needed to do once overseas is swap out to the prepaid SIM and switch the phone to GSM.  In both cases the rep had to spend some time to look up information.  I may try to contact customer care again in a few days as I would hate to go on my trip overseas and discover I can't get a pre-paid SIM to work.

Highlighted
Journeyman

There is too much confusion on this issue. Can you can a supervisor to straighten this out once and for all?

Highlighted
Journeyman

It has now become clear that the SIM is NOT unlocked and has to be unlocked via Sprint International Services.  Sprint is strictly enforcing a policy that requires a phone be on an account for at least 90 days before they are allowed to unlock the device.

I am fairly aggravated at this point, as I will be traveling out of the country in May.  I am totally satisfied with my HTC One and have been a loyal Sprint customer for over 8 years, but this has me ready to return the device and switch carriers. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I too have confirmed the "Policy" of Sprint regarding this issue. Please see the concise response below:

"SWW SeniorTC: Currently, as part of the policy, we are unable to make any exception to unlock the device before the device itself has been active to the account for the required 90 days. Here at Sprint, we are doing our best to let our customers know the criteria in advance before the new devices are purchased. You can still upgrade to the device you are wanting and look into setting up your Sprint service to work while traveling, or check into our other options, which would be an international prepaid device, landline use while traveling, or taking the device that you upgrade to and using with data/wifi while there. "

Does anyone know if Verizon or AT&T or T-Mobile have a more consumer friendly policy?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I only have a few days left on my 14 day return policy, I have been a long time sprint customer but this may the push to make me try a less strict carrier.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi there,

I'm sorry you're having this issue.  You are correct about the 90 day policy however I did some probing and saw that this policy can be overlooked for certain circumstances however there is a review process.  Contact Sprint Worldwide at 888-226-7212 and be sure to let them know that you would like to unlock a device that is still within 90 days.  You will need to be escalated (I am not sure if speaking to a supervisor is necessary) and they will have to open a case which takes up to 48 hours for review.  Unfortunately, I cannot guarantee that the device will be unlocked but can only point you in that direction.  Hopefully this is helpful.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It wasn't easy, but I got them to finally "unlock" my HTC One for international use. It took several phone calls and multiple chat sessions. However, there is a catch. When they emailed me the instructions on how to unlock the HTC One on my side, the email read "This email is intended to confirm that Sprint has successfully submitted the request to unlock the device to Apple.  Within 4 hours please follow the steps in the Apple support article below to complete the unlock." Apple!?!?!?!? I called back and the rep said he sent that form email by mistake and there are no steps required on my side  So apparently, the phone is unlocked and no update or code has to be applied on the phone itself?? That doesn't sound right. So I'm out of options as I will be in Italy next week. So I will know then if my phone is truly unlocked. Does anyone know if there is a way to verify my phone is unlocked before I'm out of the country?

Highlighted
Wizard

These phones are locked upon purchase.

You must enter a code in the phones' menu to unlock it.

There are a couple freqs that the one will work on but you will not be able to put in a 3rd party sim card unless the phone is unlocked - which they aren't out of the box.

You can roam whilst overseas but be careful with doing that.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I went through a similar process and finally recieved a call from Sprint in which they did a psuedo-background check to verify I was who I say I am.  After this a PRL update was issued on my phone and the phone displayed a message that it was being updated, and then I rebooted it.

I did a search to see what people with Iphone 5s have already gone through, and it seemed like they were only issued this OTA update and then their phone worked.

Please post (if you can) if you are successful with a 3rd party SIM once over there.

I have not been able to find a way to verify if this worked other than waiting until I arrive at my destination later this month.  I was told there are toll-free numbers available if any issues arise:

"From your Sprint phone (this call will be free): Dial international access code, then 1, then 817-698-4199, option 3

>

From a wireline phone: Call 1-817-698-4199, option 3 (access and connection fees may apply in addition to long-distance costs)

Toll-free numbers are also available from several countries. The toll-free* numbers below can be used to contact Sprint in the following countries: • Most Caribbean Islands . . . 1-888-226-7212 • France . . . 0800-903200 • Germany . . . 0800-180-0951 • Italy . . . 800-787-986 • Mexico . . . 001-877-294-9003 • United Kingdom . . . 0808-234-6616 "

Highlighted
Journeyman

So I contacted sprint international via chat regarding the mistake in sending me the instructions for unlocking the iphone. The rep stated that it is impossible for them to unlock the HTC One until 90 days have passed. When I asked why everyone else I spoke to said it was not only possible to bypass the 90 day requirement, but that they actually completed it, he went to talk his supervisor. When he came back he insisted it was impossible and the previous reps must have thought I had an iphone. He apologized for the confusion and I closed the chat window in anger.

I then called back to actually speak to a rep and got transferred to the original guy that was "helping" me. He stated that the unlock process didn't actually get pushed out and that it needed approval. He came back and pushed out a PRL update which did perform on my phone. I'm not hopeful that its actually unlocked, but I no longer trust what they tell me.

i don't know why they don't have a single source of information that all the reps can access. Its really frustrating that every time you talk to someone you never know if the person is telling you good information. I also don't understand why I have to have dozens of phone calls and chats sessions to get a pretty simple action performed on my phone. I'm going to be pissed if it doesn't work next week.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree, this is fairly ridiculous.  Sadly, it is us the consumers (the ones that sell their phone overseas) that have pushed Sprint and the phone manufacturers to have these vague policies and convoluted process to get the phone unlocked.

I chatted with a low level rep today to determine if there is a menu option somewhere that will let me know it is truly unlocked and they said I was mis-informed about my device unlocking as there is a 90-day policy and they don't even know how to unlock the phone yet.

Ohseedee:  If you still see a locked error when you attempt to use a 3rd party SIM, try the UICC unlock option (once 3rd party sim is installed) that is now visible under the System Updates in settings.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat