cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got the HTC One and my phone abnormally reboots at least once or twice per day!

Journeyman

Just got the HTC One and my phone abnormally reboots at least once or twice per day!

Bought my phone from Amazon using my Sprint upgrade.

Anyways, I LOVE this phone, great build quality and software, EXCEPT for the fact that at least once per day, often twice, my phone will just randomly reboot, show the HTC logo screen and end right back up on the home screen. It even did this once when I was in a call. Afterwards, of course, there will be an ! (exclamation mark) in my status bar saying that my phone "abnormally reset" and will ask if I want to "send the report to HTC".

There is a log file which I can view with a whole bunch of stuff on there, but not any particular clues as to which App may have caused it.

It looks like my phone has all the latest updates, firmware, PRL, profile, etc.

I've been googling around and I'm surprised I haven't found anyone else really with the same problem. I see a lot of threads of the old HTC EVO 3D doing the same thing, but no solutions.

Anyone else having this problem? Is there a solution to this?

I'm at my wits end and think I'll just return this to Amazon for a Google Nexus 5. It's pretty annoying to have a phone that just randomly resets itself with no particular rhyme or reason.

7 REPLIES 7
Journeyman

Re: Just got the HTC One and my phone abnormally reboots at least once or twice per day!

Regarding the HTC One I have this same phone however I bought mine through the Sprint store in person, I've had my phone for over a month and I have never had any problems with my phone, I would send that phone back to Amazon, and then get the phone from a sprint store, which is my personal advice to you.

You may also want to try and delete any apps that you've installed on the phone then if it doesn't happen then each day upload one of the apps that you had before and wait a day or two to see if the phone has the problem again if not then you know it's not that app causing the problem, and keep doing this with the following apps that you deleted and when the phone acts up again you'll know which app needs to be removed and the others will be able to stay on your phone.

Also I have a question, Did you buy this phone brand new or is it a Refurbished phone?   

GrandMaster

Re: Just got the HTC One and my phone abnormally reboots at least once or twice per day!

it could also be due to a update that was recently done on a app as well...usually they can rule any and all apps out of this by booting the phone up in safe mode..it disables all the 3rd party apps and will only use the stock apps...if the problem stops then its due to one of the 3rd party apps..if it doesnt stop then its the phone itself

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

thanks for the replies. I bought my phone brand new from Amazon by upgrading my contract. It was not a refurbished phone. Whether Amazon sent me a refurbished phone I have no idea. I had this problem out of the box, so it can t be any app I installed. I'm actually on the way to the Sprint store right now because, oddly enough, Amazon won't even return the phone unless a sprint repair center deems it defective.

GrandMaster

do you happen to have TEP? if not i hate to say it but you will be charged for them to look at the phone..the phones 1yr warranty only works if you send it into the manufacturer. one other thing..by chance do you have a screen protector or case on the phone?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

No, I don't have TEP, not worth the money for me. I always buy my phones from Amazon and whenever I have a problem with them within the 1st year my local Sprint Repair Center Store always looks at it and fixes it if necessary for free, as long as I had purchased it from Amazon within the previous year. I have even had them replace a overheating battery with a brand new one. So I never really needed the TEP. Just a quick question about that, do people get the TEP simply to protect against falls/cracks? I ask because I have found that if the phone I get from Amazon has a problem (other than dropping/wet/abuse/etc), it usually happens within the 1st year of having the phone and Sprint always fixes it for free or replaces anything that needs replacing. After a year with no TEP and I am S.O.L. Anyways, just wondering.

And no, not screen protector or case on the phone.

So anyways, I took the phone into Sprint and they are re-flashing it. If I get the exclamation mark/abnormal reboot again Amazon will replace it with a brand new on.

GrandMaster

basically the TEP makes it to where you dont have to pay for it to be looked at in a repair store (you have no worries there) and if you drop it, water damage, stolen or whatever youre able to get a refurb replacement for $150 compared to paying full price to replace the phone..to be honest you have a 50/50 chance of getting a good refurbed phone lol..but most people cant afford to pay the full price for a replacement phone and or dont have a backup phone handy..

Journeyman

Thanks so much everyone for the replies! Nice to have a good group of people to bounce ideas off of.

So just to update in case anyone else has this problem and is viewing this forum: I got my phone back from Sprint Repair Center. They didn't even attempt to diagnose it. They just re-flashed the phone and what's great is that this is a waaaaaaaay cleaner software install. When I got the phone from Amazon, it had all this Sprint software on it, things that were recommending other software, links to software in the Play store to download, etc....a lot of bloatware.

Anyways, this thing still has the Sprint Zone App, but that's it! Nothing else from Sprint. I had a number of other Sprint apps (read: bloatware) on my phone when I got it from Amazon. Not sure why the difference now. But this is A LOT cleaner, just a few apps installed, mostly from HTC and Google.

So we'll see how this round goes. The technician at the Sprint said to just see how it goes. He says if I get even 1 random reboot this time, just send it back to Amazon for a new replacement or different phone.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat