cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassador – Using the HTC One E8 to improve home WiFi performance

Sprint Product Ambassador

My daughter complained that the WiFi speed in her apartment was pretty bad, most of the time she gets only 4-5mbps/sec although the internet service is supposed to be in the 20mbps.  She lives in an apartment right in the middle of all other apartment buildings near the campus.  Everyone is probably setting up their own wireless router for their own use.

So last weekend, while visiting her, I downloaded the “WiFi Analyzer” app onto my HTC One E8 to monitor the WiFi in her apartment.  Wow! Starting up the app and I saw that a number of routers were setting to use the common default channels: 1, 6 and 11. Her router was set to use channel 1 by default, hence there was lots of interference.  I changed the Wireless Router to use the channel 8, which is the least used based on the WiFi Analyzer app:

Her SSID is hundredacrewoods. Channel 9 was not used but seeing more nearby routers using channel 11, I therefore selected channel 8 instead.

After changing channel used on the wireless router, my daughter now gets consistently 12-13mbps downlink speed.

The really nice thing about the HTC One E8 is that the E8 does support 802.11ac (5GHz WiFi).  As you can see in the above feature there is the box 2.4G(Hz) near the top LH corner. This indicates the chart is for the 802.11a, 802.11n. 802.11g. if you touch the 2.4G box, you will see the app showing what is being used on the 5GHz channels:

It is a pity neither that my daughter’s device or the wireless router supporting 802.11ac yet. Otherwise I could change the wireless router to use the 5G channels that would have been perfect.

Bye for now.

Your Sprint Product Ambassador*

Hung Bui

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

2 Comments