BlogArticlePage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors: Using GPS with the One E8

Sprint Product Ambassador

One of the main uses that we've grown accustomed to having on our smartphones is GPS and navigation. I know I use navigation, mapping and location services quite often on every smartphone I've ever used. So it's important to me, and I assume you too, that GPS be fairly accurate.

My "defacto" test of GPS is of course clamping the device in my windshield mounted device holder, fire up Google Maps, pick a destination and start navigation. For obvious reasons, I can't (won't) screenshot my device whilst driving using Google Maps for navigation. That said, I've had ZERO issues with GPS and navigation using my HTC One E8. Also note, I only test with Google Maps and navigation. I don't regularly use Scout or any other navigation apps.

The second test that I perform is a walking test using the Endomondo app. I work at the Sprint World Headquarters in Overland Park, KS. We have a path that circles the campus that I regularly walk at lunch time and have measured the distance numerous times on many devices. Some devices' GPS works better than others, for sure. My HTC One E8 works flawlessly with no weird jumps, skips in coverage or strange readings.

gps-endomondo.png

With some other devices, using the same app, I've seen my GPS "bread crumb trail" make weird spikes and jumps, which tells me the device randomly loses GPS satellite lock. Thankfully, my One E8 has a great satellite lock and seems to work whether I am carrying in my hand or if I slip the phone into a pocket.

One more app that I use to measure and judge GPS is Ulysse Speedometer Pro. I use it when I ride my motorcycle, mounting my phone in a device clamp in my handlebars. With USP I can not only use my device for navigation but I can also double-check my speedometer for accuracy (for the record my motorcycle speedo is ~3 mph slow at highway speed). USP can be configured to show the number of GPS satellites that your device is locked onto. Normally I see 4 - 8 satellites on "lock" with my One E8 which tells me GPS is working just fine.

I hope you're having an equally excellent experience with your HTC One E8! If you don't have a One E8 and are considering upgrading soon, then know that the GPS and location services should work well for you (as long as you don't disable them in settings).

Until next time,

Your HTC One E8 Launch Ambassador Team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee

1 Comment