cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voice dialing

Highlighted
Journeyman

Voice dialing

If I press the mic button on the dialer, I get the voice pop-up asking me to speak, but it doesn't respond.  I can't find a setting that enables it, and that means that my bluetooth is somewhat useless.

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Wizard

Don't understand what you mean by blue tooth being useless, and but I just tapped the mic and spoke a name and the name popped up. I'm stock market and not rooted. There is nothing you need to enable as far as I know.

Have you tried a soft reset?

If you have a blue tooth device attached to the phone, disable it and test the phone on its own.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  When I tap on the phone icon, it doesn't respond when I speak.  Other voice enabled services do work, e.g. voice to text for texting, but there's no reaction when I speak for the dialer.  WRT bluetooth, since voice dialing doesn't work for the phone itself, then it doesn't work for BT either, so the BT device is a lot less useful.

Highlighted
Wizard

When you press the icon, does the voice prompt pop up at least?

Just sounds like you need to restart the device.

Just to make sure:

You're not rooted

You don't have a 3rd party dialer skin installed

Highlighted
Journeyman

As I said above, it pops up, but it's not red and it doesn't respond.  I tried shutting down and restarting.  I'd rather not do a hard reset.  No, I'm not rooted and I'm using the standard dialer.

Highlighted
Wizard

hey, im trying to help. no need to shoot the messenger.

the voice command works for me out of the box. without seeing your device up close and personal, its difficult to offer more real solutions, so i am just making sure we are on the same page about things.

there are no settings to adjust. the speech settings are in the accessibility tab on your phone. you can also read the manual thats on the phone (its a link). lastly you can go into a sprint store and have them smoke it over.

but its not much that can go wrong on the voice app. its just there... i understand you don't want to perform a hard reset and I wish i could help you further.

perhaps someone else will chime in.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi,

I've tried to duplicate this issue but couldn't.  I opened up the dial pad and pressed the mic icon and it recognized all the names that it recognized the names that I spoke.  This could be an isolated issue with your device.  I noticed you mentioned that you didn't want to do a factory reset however sometimes this is necessary to fix otherwise unexplainable software issues.  If that continues after a reset then it may be an issue with that specific device and at that point I would head to a local store to get the device replaced.

Good Luck

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have this same problem.  Note to other commenters, this only happens when using a bluetooth headset device.  Voice dialing is unresponsive over bluetooth, a huge pain and major software bug.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

i'll have to clear my old phone from my bluetooth and try it..doing it WITHOUT being connected to a BT is working just fine for me as well..every time i try to link up my BT it says its full...something i'll have to try and remember later lol

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Wizard

this is not a major bug in my opinion as I am not having this issue over BT. I use LG tone BT headset and I fired up my old jabra bt8010s and no issues at all.

i suggest trying another headset as I have tried two as noted here and had no issues...

Highlighted
Journeyman

So I posted this to the Jawbone support format as well.  The recommended deleting the BT profile for the Jawbone and the resetting the phone.  I did this, but rather then resetting the phone I powered it down then restarted it (the 'reset' on the HTC one takes about 5 seconds - it can't possibly be a real reset).

This worked for me.  Voice dialing over Bluetooth is working fine now, and Google NOW now works over BT as well.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat