cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

latest info (Sep 2014) on HTC One camera with no focus and pink tint

Journeyman

latest info (Sep 2014) on HTC One camera with no focus and pink tint

I'm writing this in Sep 2014... at this point there have been dozens of forum threads, here and elsewhere, complaining about various issues about the HTC One camera -- primarily, the inability to focus beyond 2-3 feet and the deep pink tint that appears in any low-light photo.

My phone did not demonstrate all of these issues right away, however by now they are full-blown issues.  My camera is unusable for anything other than taking lit snapshots within 3 feet.

My phone is now about 15 months old.  I do not have device insurance from Sprint -- however this is not a single failed device, as these issues have been reported over and over again.  We have been promised "software updates" for at least a year, according to responses on this forum, however new rollouts only seem to make the problem worse, not better.  This is a systematic failure that I am sure Sprint and HTC are aware of and been unable to fix.

My question is what my options are today.  These problems have been reported for a year, thus by now Sprint should have determined a policy on how to resolve customer issues caused by this specific device failure. 

• Can I get a replacement device?  If so, how? 
  • If I switch carriers, will I be charged an early termination fee?  Given that the device does not perform as promised, I would think Sprint hasn't lived up to their end of the deal to provide a certain level of service and functionality, thus making the contract unenforceable. 
  • Alternatively, could I start a new Sprint contract with a new device at the same prices as if I had completed the contract? 

Thank you.

36 REPLIES 36
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: latest info (Sep 2014) on HTC One camera with no focus and pink tint

First off, without insurance, you will have to either pay full price or a large amount on a refurbished phone.

No, you cannot escape the termination fee. Sprint nor any phone company work like that.

And yes, that's how upgrading works. Once your contract has run out/it's been two years since you're last upgrade, you can again, upgrade.

It sounds as if you don't really know your contract or how this all works. This isn't meant to be condescending by any means. But you have to be aware of what you can and can't do.

Master

Phone.Caller,

I gotcha! Let us help. Can you please private message us with your phone number, pin to the account. We will review everything and do everything we can to get this worked out. Thanks for your help.

April
Sprint Social Care
Master

GhostBlonde - If you have any questions or concerns, we're just a post away. - BrittneySprint Social Care
Journeyman

SprintCare April - PM sent.

Journeyman

Anyone reading this who is suffering with the same camera problems, Sprint's response via multiple PMs is basically "tough luck."  They continue to blame HTC, say a fix is coming in the future (but no date estimates), and won't offer anything in the way of compensation or allowance or contract amendment.

GrandMaster

sprint provides mobile service..which is what youre paying for..theyre holding up their end of things. how exactly is this NOT in the lap of HTC? its their phone..not exactly sprints fault the camera doesnt work. get in direct contact with HTC

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
GrandMaster

you should hop over to verizon and get their One instead..oh wait.

All of a sudden my camera is not behaving correct | Verizon Wireless Community

verizon must be at fault for this one as well..

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Fireguy, I'm not sure who you work for but you are missing the point entirely.  We understand HTC is responsible for releasing a defective phone.  But Sprint is not blameless -- Sprint promoted and marketed the One, Sprint chose it as its flagship, Sprint specifically pointed out the camera as a distinguishing feature, and Sprint ultimately sold the phone to consumers.  And now it is Sprint that is preventing us from getting a new phone, because that's who we have a contract with, and they refuse to offer any consideration or compensation for our troubles.

Sprint has a right to simply do nothing and force us to endure our contracts.  However by doing so, they are demonstrating that they do not really care about the customer, and that a little extra money today is more important than good customer service and a long-term revenue stream from loyal customers.  Further, customers like me will certainly remember that it was Sprint that convinced us to choose the One over a Galaxy, iPhone, Xperia, etc.  Now that it turns out to be a dud, we've learned that either Sprint is incompetent, unreliable, or simply got fooled by HTC.  So why should we buy anything from them next time around?

GrandMaster

again youre putting all blame on sprint..they sold the phone but they didnt design the thing nor are they the ones that come up with the fixes for their issues. that is solly on the manufacturer as it has been for EVER. top it off not all the phones released have this issue..sorry to hear that a sales rep in store twisted your arm and forced you to purchase this phone..which in my case the camera works just fine

again you should hop over to Verizon or one of the other providers and see if they offer you a new phone for your troubles when you run into a device issue. how exactly are they forcing you do endure your contract? again this fix comes from HTC themselves..until they do something about it there isnt really much that can be done seeing as how its sprints job to give you voice and data not fix a manufacturers bug.

shouldnt matter who i work for..knowing what is going on and what process must be taken to get a fix doesnt exactly take a rocket scientist. sadly im not the one missing the point here.

Master

Phone.Caller, I want to apologize for the issues you are having. Please send in another PM. I want to help. - Vanessa
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

I am the original poster and want to acknowledge Sprint's help with this issue.  I was initially critical of their slow response -- but they have since demonstrated that some of their customer service reps do read these forums and do want to help out.  Sprint did ultimately make an effort to make things right and I am back to being a happy Sprint customer.  Thank you.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat