cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

m7 charging port caught on fire

Highlighted
Journeyman

m7 charging port caught on fire

i bought an HTC m7 at Best Buy around 6 months ago. the charger port caught on fire! USB cable is melted/scortched and the phone charging port smells burnt.  phone works but now will not charge (obviously).

Can I take it to Sprint store for warranty replacement or do I need to take it back to Best Buy?  After buying the phone my wife liked it more than hers so we did a flip-flop on the numbers. The phone is currently on her line which was renewed at a sprint store last winter.  Do we need to 'flip flop' the numbers back before I go to the store, or will that not matter since both phones are still on my plan even though not on the original line?

9 REPLIES 9
Master

Re: m7 charging port caught on fire

You should be able to take it to either store, though they will probably tell you without their protection plans you have to contact HTC directly. If you have another phone, bring it with you to transfer the number until it's repaired.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
GrandMaster

add on to smotrs post. take what is remaining of the charging cord as well. it could end up being a malfunction or defect..the cord it was charging on was the stock factory cord correct and not some 3rd party one you picked?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Master

smotrs - Thank you for providing that information. Additionally, if you have insurance a Sprint store will be able to process a warranty exchange. You can also contact HTC and notify them of this defect. - Kareem
Sprint Social Care
Master

Fuzzybacchus, Thanks for reaching out to us with all of your concerns. Yes, you would need to re-activate that device on your line. From there you may return to Best Buy to inquire further about your warranty. Or you may contact HTC in regards to the warranty for the device by following this link: http://bit.ly/1eR0L8F. If you need additional assistance with switching that device back to your line, please (PM) personal message us with your account number and pin. Please keep in mind that you must be signed in with your username and password to compose a message to us. Keep us posted. - Brittany
Sprint Social Care
GrandMaster

forgot to add that i would take it back to BestBuy and maybe their geek squad can look into it. since you purchased it from them they might be able to do more than the sprint repair store.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Master

If you have their (Best Buy) insurance, then they will probably replace it. And with a brand new one, not refurbished.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
GrandMaster

didnt we compare insurances before? i might have to start getting the phones from BB rather than the sprint store i usually go to. all the techs at that store are new guys anyways..not a big fan of them.

Master

Yeah we did. And the BB insurance is cheaper. The only thing the BB insurance WON'T protect you from is lost or stolen. You have to have the old phone to give them so they will order a new one.

--

GrandMaster

i can handle that..if its lost or stolen then obviously i should keep better track of the thing.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat