ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot cancel contract without ETF even though I bought a phone that I can't use properly

Journeyman

Cannot cancel contract without ETF even though I bought a phone that I can't use properly

I recently purchased an HTC One M8. At first, I thought the phone was great. Checked the coverage map in my area and saw, I had LTE and my voice coverage was also good. Shortly after, I started noticing that I was not receiving phone calls. At first, I thought I was just in a bad area. Ultimately, I noticed that I wouldnt get calls at my home or at work from my wife. She even tried calling me while standing across from me. Straight to voice mail it went. I then went to BestBuy to replace the phone to see if there was something hardware related. Advised me that there was a back order for the gunmetal gray version and I would have to wait. 2 weeks later, my phone came in and I was still having the same issue. I was out of town for work for a bit so I could not schedule a visit to a Sprint store right away. After finally getting back and scheduling an appointment, the Sprint technician advised me that there was no issue with my phone but that this was an across the network problem. Apparently, the cell towers are not equipped with CSFB . This allows the tower to send a signal to your phone to drop LTE and activate CDMA to allow a phone call to go through. Because the latest phones they carry are tri-band phones, there is no fix until they revamp their whole network which he advised was not going to be quite soon. Because of this the store advised I call Sprint and request to be removed from contract. To no amazement to me Sprint refused due to it being passed my 14 day trial period. What a crock of sh**t! This is why people are leaving in droves to other carriers. I've already started a BBB complaint and am looking to retain legal counsel on this matter. Its false advertisement along with going against FCC regulations on pretending their network is something its not. 

10 REPLIES 10
Master

Re: Cannot cancel contract without ETF even though I bought a phone that I can't use properly

LARGO213

I really would like to assist. However, your post suggests legal action, therefore, I am unable to help. Please make your attorney aware of the sprint terms and conditions by visiting www.sprint.com/termsandconditions.

- Robin W
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Re: Cannot cancel contract without ETF even though I bought a phone that I can't use properly

I wouldnt be looking into legal counsel if I had someone to help my situation. So far I have yet to find that person. If you think you can, I am willing to listen.

Journeyman

Not going to happen =\ I just went through the same thing except they wouldnt even exchange my phone because they "looked at it" and said the phone was in working condition. Ive been battling it since June when i got the phone...

Master

Joan16 - What is the subject of your PM? I want to double check and ensure we have exercise all outlets. - Kenneisha
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Journeyman

I don't think that's your problem.  They are right, it is a network issue, but I don't think it is the for the reason they say it is.  I had the very issue with a Galaxy Nexus (and that's not a tri-band phone, but a dual-band phone).  It was a problem with a cell tower which just happens to be close to both my house and my work.  If I left the area, the phone would start working again.

It took Sprint about two weeks to fix the problem, and I had to basically call them up constantly so they would fix it.  Sprint is never known to fix problems quickly unless you constantly engage them via customer service.

It sounds more like a problem with their switching gear not working correctly (or misconfigured) than a feature that is currently not supported.

Master

Hello Joan16,

We don't like to hear that you are not satisfied with your phone. We have a Sprint Guarantee Policy for return, exchange, deactivation, or cancellation for new phones, mobile broadband cards, embedded module (netbook), or accessories within 30-days of activation from original point of sale.

Thanks, Sharon Sprint Social Care
Master

rtkirton,

We will be more than happy to engage our network team. Your issue will be evaluated and we will make sure all bases are covered. We truly thank you for your continued patience.

Keith
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

I cannot believe the massive number of people who have the exact same problem.  How can so many people buy M8's, not have any service and can't get their money back or get a different model?  I have used a whopping 19 minutes with 6 days left in the billing period.  Today I was told I am officially stuck with this model phone from the Business Care people who handle the account.  22 people in the last two days, bounced around, put on hold, promised help only to get to someone repeatedly who must take joy in it.  I can't believe we just paid 900 for a 32GB iPad Air in Feb and pay 236 a month for our service.  I wonder if that 216 was really worth it.  I really am in just total shock.

Master

FRAUDM8usersUNITE,

Thank you for reaching out to us with your concerns. 19 minutes of use is very low, I'd like to look into this for you. May I please have nearby cross streets and a zip code to look into the services available in your area? Have you already tried changing the network settings to CDMA only and updating the data profile? Have you taken the phone to a service and repair location to have a technician check it out? Let me know, I'm here to help.
Lorrie
Sprint Social Care
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat