cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it a good or bad thing that no one has posted about the Max yet?

Journeyman

Is it a good or bad thing that no one has posted about the Max yet?

I'm interested in the phone but curious to see what peoples first impressions were of it but I haven't seen anything posted yet.

So what it's like?

15 REPLIES 15
Wizard

Re: Is it a good or bad thing that no one has posted about the Max yet?

what would you like  to know exactly?

if you are interested , i encourage you to stop in a store and try it out. what i think may be awesome, you may not,, so its always best to test drive yourself.

that said, the phone is everything the htc one should have been. if you have experience with the htc one then this is going to be the same experience. the larger screen, tri band, microsd, gorgeous screen and subtle updates to the UI really make this purchase a no brainer for me.

battery life is awesome! i had the thing on all day, was in LTE coverage (but on wifi), have several email accounts polling the internet every 5 minutes, wifi , bluetooth, screen on all day, whatsapp use all day, trolling blinkfeed, streaming live music via bluetooth, made a few voice calls, instagrammed some cats--basically getting to know the device, and after 12 hours off the umbilical cord the phone had 27% battery remaining. also bear in mind i have skype up and running, youtube prefetch, apps downloading data at will---so the battery life is super awesome!!! i am coming from a launch day htc one and the battery life with this huge screen is absolutely noticeable!!

also bear in mind, the ps4 is released, the xbox one is coming, other phablet style phones are just released, so the max has to share the love with all of those devices. this, to me, is why many people dont know about the max or have bought one.

i mean the htc one just came out several months ago and its still a flagship device.

Journeyman

It's a nice phone. I think there are so many hot phones saturating the market right now, so there aren't a lot of people talking about this phone yet.

I came from the Evo 4G LTE with Sense 5 software shoehorned on it (via root.) Everything I see on Sense 5.5 is about the same, so there wasn't a learning curve.

Quick settings (accessible by hitting a button on the notification bar or two finger notification drag) is a nice addition, even if it has been there on other android implementations for a while. It is customizable too.

It lasts all day. Although I think it was a little due to battery issues, when my Evo 4G LTE gave the 15% battery warning, I knew that if I were foolish enough to still do whatever I was doing, it would power off in the next couple of minutes, but with the One Max, you have a good hour or so, even if you are doing medium intensity stuff on full brightness.

It's big with a pretty screen, but uncomfortable if you're holding it for a couple of hours playing games or doing whatever.

Blinkfeed is removable. Blinkfeed doesn't have to be your home screen if you do want it to stay.

HTC Widgets are mostly removed. This is no different than Sense 5, but if you are coming from Sense 4 and loved HTCs widgets, you may be disappointed. You have the power/connectivity strips/solo buttons (which with quick settings are redundant,) black and white 4x4 calc, 4x3 (resizable to larger) calendar (no agenda though,) 4x4 (resizable to larger) people, 4x4 music, "5x2" weather flip clock, a and a couple other separate weather/digital/analog widgets. Why "5x2?" because that iconic flip clock is really 4x2, so there is a gap on either side and it sits in the middle. You can resize it to 4x2 and have it on the left or right. I downloaded a widget that is a replica and is 5x2/3, but it's not crisp like the HTC one, so I may ditch it and go for HTCs 5x1 (resizable to 4x1) blinkfeed style weather clock.

Other missing items - scenes/themes have been removed.

Other things added - the ability to add widgets to additional pages in the lockscreen, and the ability to have wifi automatically turn on when charging.

Fingerprint unlock is gimmicky. I was using it, and it works, but lock screens, while useful, are annoying to me, because I don't deal with people that will unlock my phone unless I want them to. The feature that ties certain apps to certain fingers is cool though. Even though I will use this on and off, I seriously don't like that this functionality will be killed permanently if you root your device.

The power button in the middle is cool. I am on the fence about the proximity to the volume buttons though, only because I sometimes hit the wrong thing in the dark because they are nearly flush with the phone. The phone is also missing a dedicated camera button, but that was mostly exclusive to the Sprint version of last generation's One (the Evo 4G LTE.) This phone retains the two physical button setup on the smaller 2013 One (back/home.) You have the ability to assign two additional actions (recent apps or menu, and google now) to the home button.

Sound - awesome. I've never said, "this phone is too loud!" before this phone. I am turning my ringer to 80% for now, but keeping the alarm volume at 100%.

Spark - I don't know... I'm glad the radio for it is there? My city doesn't have Spark yet, and now that I'm on the One Up program, it might not be available before I possibly switch, but I'm glad it's there in case I don't. I don't like the fact that it has a catch-all icon for 4G connectivity like it's actually using Spark when it isn't.

MicroSD storage - I have a 64GB card, but I use it less and less due to cloud storage. It's a nice addition, but I would have rather had a snapdragon 800 processor instead (of the 600 on there.) I already have a $2 USB2GO adapter (used to connect flash drives or mice/kb) if I needed to offload or access more files. If I were taking a trip to no reception land and couldn't reliably access Pandora/Spotify/TunedIn, then I'd use the adapter. Otherwise, the thousands of songs on my SD card go largely unplayed.

Phone storage - I have a ton of apps on here already, in addition to Sprint's junk, and I'm at 9GB of 32. I don't think I'll have any issues.

Camera - It's ok. There are a lot of features, like the ability to take burst shots and pick and choose the best parts of the pictures, make a animated gif, draw directly on them, take a light balanced shot, and more, but the phone is missing image stabilization.

The setup is pretty easy, and allows you to Wifi/Bluetooth transfer old data from other phones, or enter it in more easily on a computer and link to that.

The metal back and white matte border gets dirty easily.

The official accessories seem decent, but have not rolled out yet in the US I think. There is a case with a flip cover (~$25,) the same case with a battery (for ~$100 😞 ,) and a car docking station coming soon. I'm probably going to get the battery case. I am using magnets to hold the phone in my car. I had the phone magnet stuck to the outside of my old phone, but I thought it would look ugly on the Max, so I put it underneath the cover, and it seems to work ok.

Charging - I like that they put the port on the bottom. The Evo 4G LTE had it on the side, making it to where some programs would not flip the way you wanted. This won't be an issue when I eventually het the flip case or prop it up somewhere in the mean time.

I don't have internet at home, and the MediaLink HD is asking for a firmware update, so I can't tell you if it works or not.

Other gripes not mentioned above - I want the ability to add owner info to the lock screen so if I do misplace the phone, someone can see my number and leave a voicemail.

Journeyman

I went to store and they don't even have the phone on display. They have it in the back, I was told over the phone I was good for the One Up program. When I went into the store they said I have to wait until January 1st so I was definitely bummed out.

Journeyman

Talk to them again while you are at the store or something. My upgrade was 1/1 also, but I was also eligible for the One Up promotion. You do have to do it at certain stores, though. Or, maybe go to the landing web page for the One Up promotion and make an appointment with an eligible store.

I'm not sure if they had any on display, but that Galaxy S Mega is crazy huge.

Journeyman

I plan on going back up there I'm impatient. They said I have to have my phone for a year and I got my Note 2 in January. I'm usually pretty persistent, Ill get on chat with a representative a few times a week. Out corporate store does not budge much they basically act like whatever the computer says is set in stone and they can't make any changes.

Journeyman

See if this page helps: https://manage.sprintpcs.com/specialoffers/RebateWelcome.do If you are eligible for the One Up promotion on there, print the page out.

I'm impatient for that power flip case. I see they are selling it for $109 now from expansys uk, but it will take a while to get here most likely. I just bought a regular cheap flip case for the time being. It would be nice if it came in other colors like the double dip flip cases for the one/one mini, but I'm not holding my breath.

Journeyman

Yea it says I'm not eligible. I already purchased a hard case with holster for the phone.

Journeyman

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm probably going to buy it at full price so i don't use up my half ass one up upgrade so if by next year sprint doesn't get their stuff together, I will switch to Tmobile and sell this phone

Considering how horrid service is here at my place, I hope the phone really helps with reception so I can use it at home.

I'm coming from the Note 2 and Im really over the Samsung crapware thats on it.

Plus the battery is horrible and can only get about 8 hours out of a charge so I've been stuck using an extended battery which adds considerable thickness and weight so if the battery on the Max is better than what the note2 has to offer I'll definitely be happier

Journeyman

I'll trade you haha I want the new watch that. You can get for the note.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Amazing phone. Does not weigh much at all. I can navigate through the device with one hand. Never going back to Samsung. I have a patriot 64 gb card and the trident case. The radio and speakers are amazing so is BlinkFeed. Battery is extremely long lasting considering any stock battery I have received with a phone. Waiting on the Power Flip Case if anyone knows where to get one in the US please post up

Journeyman

It's not here yet. You can get it shipped from expansys, though. They are the site HTC has on their site as an authorized/trusted reseller.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat