cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors: HTC One (M8) and Battery Life...Can we talk?

Sprint Product Ambassador

Battery.jpg

Battery life, the life blood of wireless devices. Without batteries for powering our gadgets we can't truly be wireless, right? Usually the second question I am asked on every new device (the first question is a tie between "Do you like it?" and "Is it better than _____?") is "How's the battery life?"

The battery life of the HTC One (M8) was initially a disappointment. Seriously. After the first few days I saw visions in my head of being *that guy* who's always packing a charger and cable in my pocket and always running from one outlet to the next, juicing at every opportunity. I wasn't able to get through my business day, let alone a full work day + personal time in the eve, without giving the battery a little boost.

Okay, to be fair, I don't expect the first few days of new device ownership to come with great battery life. I can kill the mightiest of batteries during initial setup, configurations and the ensuing show-offs to coworkers, friends and family. Another factor that may have tainted my expectations is that my last Ambassador device was the LG G Flex. Talk about battery life!

After a few days of use, and after all the setup and configs of all my apps, services and accounts (there are many!), I was finally able to "settle into a groove" and started seeing the much-fan-fared excellent battery life. There are numerous reviews online that extol the battery life of the HTC One (M8). They all conduct their own benchmark tests and the One (M8) always comes out with good to excellent ratings. I'll admit I'm not a fan of benchmark tests, but without them I don't know a good way to reproduce "same experience" on multiple devices simultaneously. With that said...

AndroidBeat.com has a good review and offers several comparison tests beyond just battery life. I edited their battery test graphic to show other devices also sold by Sprint.

htc-one-m8-battery.png

International Business Times has a nice review of the One (M8), pitting it against some heavy-hitters like larger phablets and tablets. In their Web Browsing test the One (M8) fares well, besting the life of the mighty Galaxy Note 3 (not by much but considering the size and battery capacity difference, it's excellent results). Again, the graphic was edited to show similar devices as well as the tablet scores.

batt-life-compare.jpg

After owning my HTC One (M8) for almost two weeks I can happily report my battery life is indeed really good. After a full day of social networking, email checking, Googling, checking my calendar, texting and making calls, both via Bluetooth and without, I routinely have 70% or more battery life left at the end of the day. Yes, at the end of my WHOLE day. This makes me very happy.

And I haven't even pulled the Emergency Power Saving Mode "alarm handle" once.

For those who find themselves in a pinch, away from power or a charger for an extended period of time, not to worry. HTC built in the Extreme Power Saving Mode, which is enabled on Sprint devices. From MobileBurn.com:

Extreme Power Saving improves the battery staying power by shutting down all non-essential features. The phone enters into a special mode that shuts push notifications, background processes, and other battery-draining features. The phone focuses on communication features and lets users make phone calls, access SMS or email, view calendars, and use the calculator. It's possible to get 15 hours of battery life on only 5 percent charge when in EPS Mode. A 10 percent battery level lasts 30 hours, and 20 percent 60 hours. It's basically a last resort option that can keep your phone in communication with others when an extended stay away from an outlet threatens your phone.

It's good to know the option is there when I need it.

Until next time,

Your Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee