cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors: Spigen Slim Armor Option for the HTC One M8

Sprint Product Ambassador

opening pic.jpg

This week I've had the good fortune of receiving a new case option for my HTC One M8 and wanted to share my thoughts and opinions.   First I want to start off by saying thanks to the folks who head up the Product Ambassador team for the opportunity to get my hands on Spigen's Slim Armor case,  Matt you are a rock star and I greatly appreciate it. The lead off picture to the right is Spigen's One M8 version of their Slim Armor line.   If you classify cases along a linear plot with one end point representing extreme protection and the other slim design I would put the Slim Armor in the middle to slightly skewed toward slim design.  I'll cover the form factor in my thoughts below but the level of protection it provides is much better than other barely there or minimalist options available from various manufactures.

Let's talk about the Protection Tech

The following are a couple of the design features you should know about that Spigen employed in the Slim Armor case.

Air Cushion Corners-  employed on a number of other Spigen cases air cushion tech builds in small pockets of air at the corners of the case to allow for improved impact energy dispersion.  The design allows the absorption of of the impact to be more effectively spread across the entire case reducing the potential for damage at the point of impact.  Corner drops reek havoc on device screens so good to see solutions to address are coming to market.

Two Part Design-   To maximize protection in a slim form fitting design Spigen designed the case in two distinct pieces.   The innards are composed of a web patterned TPU rubber which, coupled with the Air Cushion Corners, provide a quality level of impact protection.   Then to add toughness to boot a hard candy shell, Tommy Boy reference for those of you who appreciate Chris Farley, Spigen covers a good 80% of the midsection and side rails with a tough polycarbonate layer.

What I'm particularly found of

Design the mirrors the Device-  The picture below showing the color options will give you a good illustration of what I'm about to say but nothing substitutes for an in hand view of this case.   Since HTC introduced the One I've reluctantly considered cases because the design quality of the device is one of it's key features.   I found it hard to want to cover up such a well designed and elegant device.   With that said though the shape and form factor of this case is equally impressive.   The design appearance closely mirrors the device, they even designed strips in the case's back panel to mirror the one's employed for antenna reception in the device's back panel.  The cut outs for the camera, led flash, and ports are well done and I actually like the feel of the power button and volume rocker better with the case on. (more pronounced leading to a more confident feel when leveraging either)

Balance of Protect and Added Bulk-   I'm normally a fan of very minimally designed cases as I don't care to add a ton of bulk or hide the design of a device.  With the design philosophy already mentioned I am a fan of the balance of protection/design this case offers.  Don't get me wrong, you are going to feel a difference with the case on but it is no where near the bulk of some of it's leading competitors.  The form fitting design helps to keep the added dimensions from seeming like an an unyielding abundance of additional material.

One Thing to keep in mind

One thing that you will have to sacrifice is the IR blaster functionality, the case doesn't have a cut out to keep from interrupting this feature.   If this is one of the key features that you leverage in a device I would have to say this case isn't right for you.

Color Options

With the two part design comes color options for the polycarbonate shell.    I'm including a picture of the color available at the time I wrote this article, personally I have the black option 2nd from the left but also really like the silver and gun metal options to the immediate right and left as it continues that mirrored design of the device I referenced earlier. 

available+colors.jpg

Definitely a case option to consider when shopping around, I highly recommend the case as it complements the HTC One M8 quite nicely.   If you have any questions don't hesitate to leave them as a comment.

Until Next Time-

Product Ambassador Team

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.”